Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Wed vs. Charlton Ath |22nd December 2012| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited December 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

Last Saturday’s disappointing but not disheartening result against Bolton finally saw The Addicks lose for the first time since early November. To restart our unbeaten form we must re-visit Hillsborough and take on the Missives (and ‘Big Mig’) and hopefully defeat them just as we did last year through Johnnie Jackson’s excellent free-kick.

Despite dropping down to 14th, a win for The Addicks this weekend would still give us a chance of pushing up the table and getting closer to a Play-Off spot.

The Opposition

While Charlton hadn’t lost since November 3rd until last weekend, Wednesday hadn’t won since the same date but that finally changed after a 1-0 away win against fellow Championship –strugglers Barnsley last Saturday. The win couldn’t have come quickly enough for the Owls and it has taken them within a point of getting out of that dreaded Relegation Zone.

After the victory away at Barnsley on Saturday, I can’t see Dave Jones changing his side too much but one noticeable absentee is none other than Jose Semedo who has missed their last three fixtures and isn't expected to be back to face his former side. However another famous ex-CAFC face that should play is Miguel Llera.

The Line -Up

I would expect Powell to change quite a few things for this weekend’s game and especially in midfield where Dale Stephens will be suspended after picking up his fifth booking of the season last weekend.

With Stephens out, I wouldn’t be surprised if Powell decides to change the formation back to a 4-4-2 and have Frimpong and Jackson in the centre and maybe recall Salim Kerkar back into the side on the left-hand side? I would definitely expect to see Lawrie Wilson continue on the right-hand-side however.

Anyway, after getting twists and turns from N’Gog for the remaining parts of the game at Bolton, Dorian Dervite should make way for Leon Cort to help bulk up the backline again with his brilliant partnership with Michael Morrison who again returns to his former club.

Upfront is another tricky situation for Powell, I personally can see Yann making way for Hulse and putting Haynes back upfront with the QPR-loanee to add some extra pace for the mighty Llera to deal with. The game might be a bit too soon for the return of Ricardo Fuller, so I would expect to see BWP still on the bench.

The Prediction

0-1 away win-a similar performance to last season's trip to Hillsborough, nothing pretty but hugely effective.

Predicted Line-Up

Comments

• Options
    Six Pointer this one in my view.

Avoid defeat and ideally win.

Llera first scorer probably worth a punt :-(
  • Options
    This may sound optimistic, but I do expect us to go there and win comfortably. Wednesday are a poor side who shouldn't have beaten Barnsley. We score on the road and have scored against meaner defences than Wednesday's.

They got promoted through a bunch of loanees who joined the club and have since cleared off (except poor Antonio who is stuck). They weren't the 2nd best side in League one last season so I am not surprised they are struggling.

Wednesday 0-2 Charlton

Kermorgant
    Morro
  • Options
    Agree that that seems the most likely starting XI unless Fuller is fit.

Would have been interesting to see Kerker in his true position in the middle in place of Stephens but can't see Powell taking that risk.

Bench will be interesting. Cook or Green? Fuller?

Cort at the back to deal with the inevitable long ball from Sheffield Hoofday.

Operation Pig to make a reapperance if we don't win.

Haynes and Wilson to score the goals that give us a welcome away win.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    With you all the way on this one apart from the score Henry. Like the line up and Cort's height will be essential for the aerial onslaught you can bank on. Expect Dervite and Yann to come on with 20 mins to go for even more strength at set plays to hold on to what we have got 1-1.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday 1 v CAFC 0
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Don't see why we can't go there and win. A lot of teams have gone there and left with 3 points. If we keep a clean sheet we will win.

2-0 Haynes and Wilson
  • Options
    Agree with Stubley's line-up but not the result, would definitely settle for a draw but fear a second defeat on the spin, 2-1
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Haynes will probably pull a hamstring unwrapping his Christmas presents which, thinking about it, will affect Ipswich rather than this one.
  • Options
    Unchanged side and 2-1 to the mighty reds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going for a speculative 3-1 victory. Haynes, Hulse and JJ
  • Options
    goal rush - 1-4 with theirs coming late on.
  • Options
    Sheff Wednesday 1 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    Sheff Wed 1-2 Charlton

Llera
    Wilson
    Jackson
  • Options
    What has Pritchard done wrong? We are more effective with him in the middle of the park. CP will play it safe and defensively : Hamer
    Solly Morrison Cort Seabourne
    Wilson Pritchard Devite Jackson Frimpong
    Hulse

then with a win in sight (or in mind) Haynes and Kermogant on for Jackson and Devite. No? Anything but another defeat!
  • Options
    I sense the beginning of a poor run. Obviously hope I'm wrong but 2 - 0 to wednesday.
  • Options
    Tight game this one I think,probably drawn, but if the mighty crash helmet doesn't have his best game ever we might just nick a 1-2 jingle bells away win.
  • Options
    Good preview, Stubbo.
  • Options
    I wouldn't settle for a draw, been a while since we won, could do with 3 points to stop that becoming a poor run.
  • Options
    1-2 Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    daveroan said:

What has Pritchard done wrong? We are more effective with him in the middle of the park. CP will play it safe and defensively : Hamer
    Solly Morrison Cort Seabourne
    Wilson Pritchard Devite Jackson Frimpong
    Hulse

then with a win in sight (or in mind) Haynes and Kermogant on for Jackson and Devite. No? Anything but another defeat!

Fancy that team. Wilson very wide right but falls back into the midfield when needed to hopefully account for Jackson's lack of pace on the opposite flank. Haynes on for Dervite or Jackson in the second half.
  • Options
    2 0 win for us, Haynes with both goals.

Only other prediction is our fans getting told that we cheated, were lucky and that we support a tin pot club on the way out from the locals.

• Options
    More optimism than pessimism again ! Warned you lot last week when the majority were fairly confident of a point at least....

Let's have more doom & gloom please !

You know it makes sense !

• Options
    I fancy a comfortable 2-0 win against a poor team bar Antonio. Haynes and Jackson.
  • Options

I fancy a comfortable 2-0 win against a poor team bar Antonio. Haynes and Jackson.

NOOOOOOOO !

• Options
    1-0 to the massives
  • Options
    If we go for it and get at them early I can see us winning easily. If we play as if the point is good enough like always I can see us losing by the odd goal.
  • Options
    I can see the rejuvenated and nothing-to-lose massive-piggies taking this one in a 1-0 scrap in which we huff and puff but fail to finish anything. Again. Criticism of CPs substitution policy or lack of it begins to rumble louder with many writing off our chances of the play-offs in a pre-Christmas wrist-slitting frenzy of self-hate.
  • Options
    Well, they don't have the equivalent of an Ngog to come on and turn it around. Without that last week I think we would have got at least a point. So, for this week I'm saying more of the same from us with no Ngog to spoil it. A tight rearguard action with some flashes of flair up front to give us a 0-2 win. COYRs!!!
  • Options
    3-1 to the massives promotion rivals last season...

Oh that's us.