Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Madness of Premiership Wages

13»

Comments

• Options

Don't know if anyone on here listened to 606 on Sunday. Jason Roberts was being questioned about footballers' wages and how out of control it had got in the Premiership.

I did and yes he didn't seem to understand the guy's point about other people not being able to just go and ask for what they like alongside an agent and expect to get it...

But it is true to an extent clubs are almost forced too through either fan pressure and ofcourse "chasing the dream"

Even we've probably both tried to do it on a lower level - did you have fans asking for more and more to be spent just to make sure you stayed in the top 10 of the Premiership for example?

• Options
    I remember reading in the 'Secret Footballer' where he was discussing players wages and described a conversation that he had once with the then CEO of Man City (Gary Cook I assume). He asked how Man City could afford and justify offering players upwards of £200,000 per week. The CEO explained that the Abu Dhabi Oil Fund makes £100 million a DAY so offering players these type of wages to atract them to the club was a piss in the ocean for them! Mind boggling!

Clubs have to try and compete with the big boys offering crazy wages to half decent players just to try and survive in the EPL. Something has to be done soon to try and level the playing field across all the divisions when it comes to players wages. FIFA's new ruling that aims to link clubs annual wage bill against their annual turnover is a step in the right direction, if enforced???
  • Options

I remember reading in the 'Secret Footballer' where he was discussing players wages and described a conversation that he had once with the then CEO of Man City (Gary Cook I assume). He asked how Man City could afford and justify offering players upwards of £200,000 per week. The CEO explained that the Abu Dhabi Oil Fund makes £100 million a DAY so offering players these type of wages to atract them to the club was a piss in the ocean for them! Mind boggling!

Clubs have to try and compete with the big boys offering crazy wages to half decent players just to try and survive in the EPL. Something has to be done soon to try and level the playing field across all the divisions when it comes to players wages. FIFA's new ruling that aims to link clubs annual wage bill against their annual turnover is a step in the right direction, if enforced???

and if it fairly back dates the system so that clubs like Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool and the other big clubs don't get an advantage just because they screwed the system years ago to get to a postion where they can criticise clubs like Chelsea/Man City.
  • Options
    Average annual wage 38k? Where did you get that from - the Evening subStandard? The average wage in the UK last year was £26,500 - according to the ONS. The average annual wage in 2000 was £18,848 - so I'm not sure where you get the average figure of 19k pa in 1991 either.
  • Options
    He must be talking about the average wage of an I.T. worker Leroy.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Is this an example of giving young players too much too soon?

Ok players get injured and it probably affects them but most make an effort to get fit at least. This guy didn't appear to maybe because he knew City were prepared to wait and keep him on the wages he had?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262707/Michael-Johnson-released-Manchester-City-pictured-takeaway.html

I remember he was highly rated and scored a couple of cracking goals.
  • Options
    Just a small point of order, the top league domestic TV deals then and now.

TV deal in 91 =£11m per season
    TV from next season =£1.04bn per season
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Why does everyone think footballers shouldn't earn as much as they can? Tennis players and golfers earn as much if not more than footballers and I know what I would rather pay to watch.... As for the bloke who phoned 606, he also compared it to what nurses earn! Well I'm sorry as great a job as they do, you don't get hundreds of thousands paying to watch a nurse work on a Saturday afternoon. People love to watch football and pay for the right to do that, therefore there is a lot of money to be shared out amongst the people involved. I don't see why the people who actually play cant have a big share of it. Rather that than sky get even wealthier.
  • Options

Average annual wage 38k? Where did you get that from - the Evening subStandard? The average wage in the UK last year was £26,500 - according to the ONS. The average annual wage in 2000 was £18,848 - so I'm not sure where you get the average figure of 19k pa in 1991 either.

Sorry chief, sloppy research on my part, I got the first figures from a rather rushed Google search...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8120382/Inflation-and-earnings-what-is-the-cost-of-a-pint-of-beer.html

.....I later corrected the 38K figure and replaced it with the 26,500 figure from ONS.

I can't find the ONS figure for 1991 but I suspect you are right and that its probably closer to around 11,000.

I must admit I did think those original figures were high, especially the 38K!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Just a small point of order, the top league domestic TV deals then and now.

TV deal in 91 =£11m per season
    TV from next season =£1.04bn per season

All of which makes it quite extraordinary that every club in the EPL - apart from Wigan Athletic - are losing money hand over fist!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A much bigger problem than the level of wages in the EPL, obscene though they may be, is the length of player's contracts. How many members of this Forum have a 4-yr contact, or 2-yrs or even 1-yr? Nobody I'll wager.

The consequence of this, of course, is that when teams are relegated from the EPL (or the Championship for that matter) they are in big trouble; revenues fall sharply, but the players who got the Club relegated expect to get paid as if nothing had happened. Because they're no good - that's why the Club was relegated - nobody will buy them, at least not on their current contractual terms, so the Club are stuck with them. The solution to this is not to do something sensible like legislate over contract length or enforce a performance dependency, it's to make the parachute payments even bigger, further destabilising the Championship where we and most other Clubs are now happily losing money hand over fist as a result.

Great article by Oliver Kay in the Times this morning on Financial Fair Play, explaining why it will be anything but.

I don't like the American system of closed leagues, but at least they've thought about the problem with their salary caps, draft systems etc. They make extensive use of technology too of course, as anybody with an ounce of common sense would. Why is it that the game we all have such a huge, life long, emotional attachment to is run by a bunch of complete muppets?

• Options

A much bigger problem than the level of wages in the EPL, obscene though they may be, is the length of player's contracts. How many members of this Forum have a 4-yr contact, or 2-yrs or even 1-yr? Nobody I'll wager.

The consequence of this, of course, is that when teams are relegated from the EPL (or the Championship for that matter) they are in big trouble; revenues fall sharply, but the players who got the Club relegated expect to get paid as if nothing had happened. Because they're no good - that's why the Club was relegated - nobody will buy them, at least not on their current contractual terms, so the Club are stuck with them. The solution to this is not to do something sensible like legislate over contract length or enforce a performance dependency, it's to make the parachute payments even bigger, further destabilising the Championship where we and most other Clubs are now happily losing money hand over fist as a result.

Great article by Oliver Kay in the Times this morning on Financial Fair Play, explaining why it will be anything but.

I don't like the American system of closed leagues, but at least they've thought about the problem with their salary caps, draft systems etc. They make extensive use of technology too of course, as anybody with an ounce of common sense would. Why is it that the game we all have such a huge, life long, emotional attachment to is run by a bunch of complete muppets?

And managers......... A certain Mr Pardew getting an 8 year one springs to mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I have a 5 year contract. Started this year.
  • Options
    I agree with your point MF but have to admit one of my work contracts is for 4 years. :)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I have a 5 year contract. Started this year.
    Let's hope you're club doesn't get relegated!

;o)