Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yann Kermorgant - An Alternative View

Firstly, hands up - I haven't been at Bolton or Wednesday. Which is partly why I'm starting this thread. Everyone who has been at the games is saying Yann has had a shocker/Yann must be dropped for Hulse. I don't dispute it. It's just from the thirty seconds of highlights I have seen from each fixture, I am led to a different conclusion....

Hear me out.

Against Bolton it appeared that are two best chances of the game fell to Danny Haynes. The first was a glaring miss from a Lawrie Wilson cross. The attack was instigated after Yann brings the ball down, turns and plays Wilson in with a perfectly weighted pass. ("But Yann is just the big man we lump it forward to!! ")The second sees Haynes race in at goal from the right hand side. If he'd scored from his first shot it would have been Yann's assist after he brings the ball down, grapples with the defender but shows enough strength to wriggle the ball through to Haynes who should have scored.

Against Wednesday and the FLS shows me two chances from the first half. The first is a penalty appeal - Kermorgant unfairly brought down when he may well have scored. The second is a disallowed goal from Danny Haynes. The assist would have come from Salim Kerkar. But who won the flick on to him brilliantly? Kermorgant of course!

From what I can tell - if Haynes was a better finisher or we'd had the rub of the green then Yann would have been the main man - the guy making things happen. Perhaps it's not Yann who's the problem? Perhaps we need a better finisher alongside him? Perhaps he just can't get any joy out of a winger like Kerkar.

So what I'm asking, is for people who were at the matches to tell me why I'm wrong. Why Yann should be dropped. Because I've read the threads and I don't want to dispute people who were there.....

Comments

• Options
    Haynes also missed a chance in the 2nd half from a kerm header
  • Options
    Our strikers are good enough just the midfield supplying them isn't.

Yann and Hulse are both decent players
  • Options

Our strikers are good enough just the midfield supplying them isn't.

Yann and Hulse are both decent players

I'd agree with this, what I would say is with BWP having lost his mojo we need someone who can just put the ball into the back of the net. Hulse and Kermorgant both hold the ball up and will challenge in the air, Haynes is lightning quick but none of them have exceptional goal records or look particularly lethal in front of goal.
  • Options
    Yann is a good player I'm not sure anyone's disputing that, but what is obvious is we play so much better with Hulse in the team.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm not digging Yann out , or slagging him off, he has not yet proved himself at this level that he's good enough.

Haynes has come back from his injury and hasn't looked the same player that he did before his injury, whether his confidence is shot because he keeps missing chances I don't know, whether he's holding back because he's not fully fit or he's fearful of getting injured again I don't know, but we are too inconsistent up front in terms of regular goalscorers.

Is Fuller and Hulse the answer , or should we bite the bullet , splash the cash and bring in a proven goalscorer in January, as we did with BWP a couple of seasons back?
  • Options
    Haynes has never been a consistent goal scorer throughout his career. Yes he's lightening quick but has no end product. Always seems to have hamstring problems, frequently missing easy chances, ship him out (would anyone take him?) & bring in an actual goalscorer of Championship quality as we did with BWP at the lower level. Harsh maybe but we can't afford to carry players.
  • Options
    Haynes still has 3 goals in what 6 games, since his return from injury he played out wide a couple of times and has played up top once which was against wednesday, also was at his best with hulse next to him which hasn't happened since his return from injury.
  • Options
    Remember my one conversation with M Slater when he said there was not much in it between Haynes and Walcott and that some good training would make the difference. I laughed then and I do now! Delusion.
  • Options
    You can't get a true appreciation of all round contribution during 180 minutes by watching less than 5 minutes of highlights. He has done absolutely nothing that Hulse or Fuller couldnt have done.
  • Options

Remember my one conversation with M Slater when he said there was not much in it between Haynes and Walcott and that some good training would make the difference. I laughed then and I do now! Delusion.

Says a lot about our Man City supporting, for now, Chairman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesterday he was about to score when he was pulled down in the 'box'. Given the terrible, almost non existent 'service' from midfield and lack of support, he did OK. It is hardly his fault that our main present attacking tactic consists of little more than long balls aimed in his general direction where he is invariably outnumbered by big, tough defenders.
    However, I'd play either Hulse or Fuller in his place. Powell loves Kermorgant and I suspect will only drop him after a very long goal drought.