Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The worrying thing.....

Hopefully people can be a bit more rational the day after, but I think that most shocked and surprised everyone was although defeats are nothing new and will always get certain people flapping their arms, that was a real limp, powder puff performance that hasn't been seen for such a long time.

It had clear similar aspects to one of those half-hearted efforts seen frequently during Pardew and Parkinson's spells. Too many players looked to be going through the motions yesterday, which is really concerning.

The is no doubt the injuries we have had this season have been the over-riding factor in why we have struggled to get out a settled, consistent team. Unfortunately it has led us to the point where i really don't think it is clear to anyone what actually is our best side to put out. Players returning from injuries need game time to get back to match fitness, but when it has occurred they seem to have disrupted things and taken us backwards (Kermogant, Primpong) and those on the periphery of the team / not guaranteed a place (such as Green, Stephens, Kerkar etc).

Only really Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Cort, Pritchard, Haynes and Hulse have bar the odd game, been putting in consistent performances.

This league is so unpredictable and narrow in terms of ability, the majority will win and lose games in equal measure. But results aside, yesterday's 'performance' was well below the mark of what players should be putting in once the ref has blown that whistle. Compare the tempo of say the Leicester home game to that yesterday, it was played at a completely different pace.

It's always easy to blame the manager, or say the players lack passion / desire when things aren't going well. But the attitude just did not seem right yesterday, and the key thing is to make sure that that was a one off.

Comments

• Options
    Shouldn't this be on the post match views thread?

*sink
  • Options
    Oh and please don't read the above and think i'm saying SCP is totally excused of blame.

The chopping and changing may well in the main been enforced by injuries and suspensions, but the best managers find the tinkering that works. What has been happening in the last couple of games hasn't. If players are not taking opportunities when granted to them, then learn from that.
  • Options
    Attitude was awful yesterday from some players ... hard to believe that this is the same club that played Leicester and Cardiff ... I'm not worried about relegation as I am sure we will get enough points to avoid that ... however, we need to see some passion and commitment otherwise we will see a portion of the crowd turning against Chris ... and that may be ammunition that we do not want the current owners to have (if the rumours are true)
  • Options
    oh oh oh, i'm going to make a point now of only referring to him as SCP or Sir Chris, because not only do i love the bloke, but it clearly winds others up !
  • Options

oh oh oh, i'm going to make a point now of only referring to him as SCP or Sir Chris, because not only do i love the bloke, but it clearly winds others up !

get your own ideas !
  • Options
    With all the tinkering why hasn't Waggy had a sniff?

I'm not claiming that he's Messi but he has a superb engine and you get an honest 90 minutes out of him. I really don't think he can be any worse than some of what we have seen.

Has there been some sort of "fall out" behind the scenes? Waggy seems as popular as Jimmy Savile at a girl guide camp at the moment.
  • Options
    len in an inappropriate gag shocker

go and do ten lines ;-)
  • Options
    He is SCP he always has been SCP always will be SCP

• Options

Are you trying to bully me?

• Options
    I think the issue that AFKA mentions is the one of attitude. Last season the approach of the players was first class. I believe this was because they knew each other well, were all clear of their role and there was a very tight unit of 15 or so players that made up the regular squad.

This season I would say that only Wilson and maybe Hulse have come in with that mentality. Kerkar, whilst having a fair amount of ability, is not one to have in the trenches alongside you. Fuller has the ability but is carried due to his age and questionable fitness and Frimpong has the air of arrogance without the real class to back it up.

Spirit and desire gets you an awful long way as let's be honest we were not the best footballing side in League One last year but ground out results when needed. If there are players within this squad who do not have that commitment, urgency and drive then they should not play ahead of the likes of Pritchard who epitomises what our club is all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's exactly what I was getting at fella. It shouldnt take a half time rocket to create a bit of urgency.
  • Options
    Bully
  • Options
    good thread. i would say one thing though that differentiates yesterday from parky and pards bad days was how Powell and the team reacted 2nd half.

Tue subs made a difference and thwarting team looked committed to a man. Fuller and Hulse were good all afternoon the back four were ok minus seabourne. the midfeild were good 2nd half thanks to pritchards drive and energy. For me id start that team with evina or Wilson in for seabourne. I would also like to see hariott get a run out
  • Options
    They were just as bad at Sheff Wed aswell.
  • Options
    Not just attitude. Last season we were sweeping all before us and players were bursting with confidence. Not the same this season so naturally a few players will be lacking that bit of self belief. That is manifesting in the performances. I still think that on the whole the players attitude is very good. That is down to SCP.
  • Options

He is SCP he always has been SCP always will be SCP

In the eyes of some, but not all.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Said it on a couple of other threads, CP needs to look at players with a bit of b*llocks at the moment instead of 'ball players'.

When we went 8 unbeaten we worked very hard. He's tried to push on from that by adding a bit of 'football quality' in Stephens and Green but its not worked.

Back to basics and back to battling performances.

An ugly win is still a win.
  • Options
    We will smash Derby on Saturday, you heard it here first.
  • Options

Christmas was Tuesday mate ;)
  • Options
    A clean sheet is what is needed. 4-5-1 v Derby (Fuller probably won't be fit anyway) The team is playing without any confidence or cohesion so we'll have to grind out a 1-0. Evina in for Seabourne at the back....Wilson Pritchard Stephens Jackson Haynes in midfield.....Hulse up front. Kermogant to come on when Hulse tires and Kerkar to come on for Haynes when he tears his hamstring. Attack them down the flanks and get runners into the box from midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When did Simon Francis change his name to Seabourne??
  • Options
    Looked like the classic Christmas pudding filled lethargy to me. We're not good enough to have 4 or 5 players not at the races, whether through format or attitude.

One thing you'll always get with Pritchard is the right attitude.