Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joining a local football team

I am about to start and internship in London, which is 6months long (slave labour!), so am going to be staying with friends and family, splitting time between Abbey Wood and Blackwall. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good local football clubs I could look into joining.

I am going looking to join with a mate, we are both 24, we are not too fussed about standard, we both played district football at school, but I have been playing hockey at university for the last 5 years, and he is a was goalkeeper now looking to play outpitch. (Although he has just done a marathon and I have just done a half, so we are reasonably fit.) Our priority is to find a club with a good bunch of blokes, and where their is decent training as well as matches.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations you can offer.

Comments

• Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning team?
  • Sunday mornings would probably be preferable.
  • If you are reasonably quick with a good engine and able to pass the ball to a teammate successfully most of the time, give Charlton Athletic a call. They have 4 midfield places that need filling.
  • If you are reasonably quick with a good engine and able to pass the ball to a teammate successfully most of the time, give Charlton Athletic a call. They have 4 midfield places that need filling.

Fantastic.
  • I am chairman of a Bexley sports, and always interested in players as we have only started this year having been the reserve side of a kent Division 1 side last year, who also got into two cup finals, All but one of the players are 24ish and we play at Hall Place on Saturday. Your 'match fitness' will be an issue, as it was for us last year. With respect to Sunday football, which my lads played three years ago it was a struggle to get a team for 10'clock KO's especially away. We are behind with our fixtures, so plenty of football to play ( weather permitting).
    Give me a message I will get back to you?.......
  • What positions?

I've been a few times to check out about joining, but the manager seems like a miserable git and the players are very cliquey (there seems to be some sort of essex mafia!!).... on the other hand the owners seemed like stand up guys, but i am going to be looking else where.

Cheers Ken, I will inbox you.