Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labi Siffre interview in the New Humanist. SISS

2»

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

Just a small point, but if he's gay then how would he know what "heterosexuals in general" are comforted by? Hasn't he just made a stereotypical assumption himself?

Personally speaking I don't insist that anyone is "presented" to me in any way other than they want to be portrayed.

I get the Alan Carr/Graham Norton/Larry Grayson point, but its hardly my fault - as a general heterosexual - how those guys chose to portray themselves for their 15 minutes.

Now that's a great point. The fact that some gay men portray themselves as little short of drag queens and make a living out of it makes them equally culpable for perpetuating the stereotype that is being railed against here.

Not sure how to feel about that, tbh. It's kind of like when black comedians take the piss out of blacks (Chris Rock), jewish comedians take the piss out of Jews (Jerry Seinfeld) etc etc. Not an easily winnable argument either way there.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Off_it said:

Just a small point, but if he's gay then how would he know what "heterosexuals in general" are comforted by? Hasn't he just made a stereotypical assumption himself?

Personally speaking I don't insist that anyone is "presented" to me in any way other than they want to be portrayed.

I get the Alan Carr/Graham Norton/Larry Grayson point, but its hardly my fault - as a general heterosexual - how those guys chose to portray themselves for their 15 minutes.

I make you entirely correct when it comes to talking about real people. The media portrays gay characters in tv shows as nearly always stereotypical, however.

Omar in The Wire is just about the only one I can think of that isn't massively camp.
    That's a massive coincidence. I literally just started watching The Wire today.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Off_it said:

Omar in The Wire is just about the only one I can think of that isn't massively camp.

him and that Dale Winton fella obviously.
  • Options
    There's interestingly are similar discussion going on on the Millwall board...

Nah, not really !
  • Options

Chunes said:

Off_it said:

I make you entirely correct when it comes to talking about real people. The media portrays gay characters in tv shows as nearly always stereotypical, however.

That's a massive coincidence. I literally just started watching The Wire today.
    Say goodbye to your social life if you have the boxset and haven't seen it before..... I would argue it is maybe the best bit of telly ever made if you stick with it through the first couple of series. Omar being one of the greatest characters too. The actor has led a life too I think.
  • Options
    Omar is one of the best on screen characters, ever.

Wish I could watch the Wire for the first time again - as RTT said, kiss your social life goodbye and enjoy......
  • Options
    Got me through a dark and dreary January a few years back. Couldnt wait to get home to watch.

I cant remember the name of the character, the little lady killer, like a bloke? Now she had led a life and i think i read had gone wayward again?
  • Options
    Snoop. Yep she killed in real life. Dont think the part was too much of a challenge in acting terms for her.
  • Options

That paragraph's not offensive either though, surely? Gays are portrayed as mincing queens in almost every form of media there is. As an example, name one role model gay footballer. The law of averages dictates that there have to be dozens in the top four divisions alone - it's telling that none have come out of the closet because of the dog's abuse they know they'd receive.

Like it or not, the media DOES portray gays (esepcially gay men) in a certain stereotypical way. If they portrayed all blacks as muggers, there would be an immense, and perfectly correct outcry. Gay men are by far the easiest target to pick on - and until this changes, people will continue to identify them as Graham Norton/Allen Carr types.

Labi said " Hetrosexuals in general..." blah blah blah " ...in order to support that illusion they insist gay characters are presented to them..." Blah blah blah "... The challenge has always been for heterosexuals to display more backbone". The charge is levelled at ALL heterosexuals, not the media portrayal of them, in fact he appears to blame us heteros for that media portrayal, Leroy. And where did the question mention footballers or even postmen and steeple jacks? Please read the question and the answer again mate.

Weresmeticket, I am a liberal independent reader...
    It's pointless even debating this. You clearly don't think Gays are portrayed as modern-day Larry Graysons, I do. Despite the way the article has been written, it's clear he's talking about the public perception of gays, which is created by the media.

And, for the record, I don't read a newspaper - and never have.
    It is pointless if you don't listen to what I am saying. I will try one more time. I am talking about the question that was asked, and the answer that was given, NOTHING else. He clearly states that heterosexuals IN GENERAL, INSIST that the media portrays gay people as camp, his words, they are there in black and white, read it. You have decided that "it's clear he's talking about the public perception of gays", but that wasn't what was asked, he has just ( as Offy says ) come out with his own stereotype, and that is what I find offensive. I don't disagree that some heterosexuals expect their gay blokes to be all "Who's pinched me lino", the same as ( also pointed out by Offy ) some gay blokes play on that stereotype to make a living. I also stand by the point that there is plenty of representation of gay people in entertainment.