Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Greig RIP

Ex-England captain has passed away

Comments

• Options
    RIP TG
  • Options
    Sad, sad news. Legendary cricketer and commentator. GOSBTS
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    66 years old he died of a heart attack and had been diagnosed with lung cancer in October
    One of the commentators from the early days as I started watching cricket and the fuzzyish pictures from Channel 9 Australia with players wearing colourful clothing playing one day cricket
    Big personality and always seemed a bit of a laugh
    RIP
  • Options
    Just read this on sky sport news, very sad news, Rip Tony, you make them grovel up there.
  • Options
    Sad to hear this news....RIP Sir, condolences to friends and family.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. What a shock. Captain of England when I was a kid. Remember his batting partnerships with Alan Knott.
  • Options
    Boyhood memories of TG and warm summer days listening to the Test Match
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First superstar of cricket in England.....which would have inspired Botham, Flintoff.
  • Options
    Great cricketer, great commentator, big loss to the game. RIP Tony Grieg
  • Options

RIP. What a shock. Captain of England when I was a kid. Remember his batting partnerships with Alan Knott.

Me too.
    Top player and a mover and shaker in world cricket
    Will be sadly missed. RIP.

• Options
    RIP. Great player for Sussex if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Great cricketer - another of our Soth African imports (he had Scottish parents). A great talent and a real winner, but was rather undiplomatic at times, which is not a criticism. KP seems to be out of the same mould.
  • Options
    My first cricketing hero. An immense player and totally under rated and under appriciated. Ironically just finished a recent biography of the great man, it concluded that it was a shame that as far as his playing career was concerned it was the events of his last two years that would be remembered rather than the decade that proceeded them.
    For those who only knew him as a commentator, check out YouTube for the 74/5 Ashes and see him signalling his own Fours off Lillee, outrageous upper-cuts over the slips and ferocious cover drives.
    A real loss to the game.

• Options
    Played in the first cricket match I ever saw, England vs the West Indies at The Oval in 1976 - good commentator as well. RIP TG
  • Options

RIP. Great player for Sussex if I remember rightly.

Yup star player, saw him play a couple of times down at Horsham where I grew up. GOSBTS !!
  • Options
    RIP

I was never a fan of his commentary although it was clear he loved the game.
  • Options
    Came to England because of the ban rather than opposition to apartheid. Seems to have supported the later based on loads of comments he made over the years. I bet the Aussies are made up, as Packer left him with a contract for life which meant he couldn't be sacked whatever he said or did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm shocked at this but didn't know that he had cancer. A great competitor but there is little defence against cancer and heart attacks RIP
  • Options

Came to England because of the ban rather than opposition to apartheid. Seems to have supported the later based on loads of comments he made over the years. I bet the Aussies are made up, as Packer left him with a contract for life which meant he couldn't be sacked whatever he said or did.

Stay classy.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Came to England because of the ban rather than opposition to apartheid. Seems to have supported the later based on loads of comments he made over the years.

I think to call yourself Absurd doesn't do yourself justice. You're much worse than simply absurd with comments like that.

• Options
    RIP. 2012 has certainly seen the end of some good uns.
  • Options
    Saw him play for England & Sussex a number of times in the 70's. Was at Lords on the first morning of the Ashes test in 75, when he scored a brilliant 96 to rebuild the England innings after Lillee had reduced us to 40-4. Griegy always led from the front and would counter-attack when up against it. I also remember a square cut into the Tavern for six in another innings and he made one of the best catches of all time in front of the old sight-screens at the Nursery End in another test. A top class bowler as the first change seamer and also as an off spinner, due to his height. Didnt he take 14 wickets in a test match against the West Indies at Port of Spain?
    His commentaries were always entertaining with the odd "Goodnight Charlie" thrown in. You always felt his delight in commentating on Channel 9 when England were on top.
    Proper Cricketer.

There was an excellent podcast on BBC when Jonathon Agnew interviewed him recently. Well worth a listen if it's still available.
  • Options
    RIP Tony
  • Options
    One of my favourite players when I first got into cricket. I remember him and Knotty putting on a big stand against the Oz in 1975 and kept chipping the ball over the slips for 4. Great commentator as well.
  • Options
    Gutsy, gung ho character who was a very decent all round cricketer. Not quite in the Botham / Flintoff league consistently but normally stood up to be counted when England's backs were to the wall.

A sad loss to the game.

RIP
  • Options
    I remember his gloves being cool. Was a good attacking batsman. RIP