Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aston Villa (dont read if you havent watched MOTD)

2»

Comments

• Options
    You can still get 7/4 on Villa being relegated. I think they've got a good chance of going down, I'm not a fan of Lambert and his ego and stubbornness when refusing to stop playing the youth isn't helping them. If they don't get some good signings in January then I reckon they'll be relegated.
  • Options
    They signed Darren Bent and then lost their only 2 creative players in Young and Downing 6 months later. They then replaced both of them with N'Zogbia who hardly played, and youth in the form of Bannan and Albrighton. They've lost their influential captain in Petrov and their previously steady back 4 keeps chopping and changing.

Youth is not the answer here, but after spending £24m on Bent, losing Downing and Young to big money moves, yet only spending £10m on one player last summer (I don't know how much they spent this summer) I'm guessing that they don't have that much money to spend. They need to rebuild the whole spine of their team, which isn't an easy thing to do in January.

Played 3, lost 3, for 0, against 15. It doesn't make for pretty reading, yet they beat Liverpool 3-1 at Anfield a fortnight ago. Sense? It makes none.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Wonder how much it will cost Ashley to pay off Pards' remaining seven and a half years. Good job his business is raking it in...

About a years wages I would venture to suggest. An eight year contract does not have to have an eight year severance payment written into it.

I find your obsession with Alan Partridge rather odd AA.
    As for Lambert, well he's been the media darling for years. He has experience, that cannot be denied. He's won the CL as a player and in a foreign country. He won all his domestic honours. He has long been touted as the next Brian Clough and maybe Villa is simply his Leeds.
    If he has kicked some arse of overpaid so called Stars (Bent included) then IMO all well and good. It has to be the way forward.
    Anyway, whatever you think, it must agreed that this years EPL is without doubt the worst ever, we'll since 2011/12 at least. Exciting and entertaining yes, but as a purist like me, appalling.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Wonder how much it will cost Ashley to pay off Pards' remaining seven and a half years. Good job his business is raking it in...

About a years wages I would venture to suggest. An eight year contract does not have to have an eight year severance payment written into it.

I find your obsession with Alan Partridge rather odd AA.
    As for Lambert, well he's been the media darling for years. He has experience, that cannot be denied. He's won the CL as a player and in a foreign country. He won all his domestic honours. He has long been touted as the next Brian Clough and maybe Villa is simply his Leeds.
    If he has kicked some arse of overpaid so called Stars (Bent included) then IMO all well and good. It has to be the way forward.
    Anyway, whatever you think, it must agreed that this years EPL is without doubt the worst ever, we'll since 2011/12 at least. Exciting and entertaining yes, but as a purist like me, appalling.
    Aren't all footballers overpaid? Bent is a good footballer and will score goals if he plays and has a good attitude. The rumour is that he's not playing because that will trigger a payment to Sunderland that Villa cannot afford.
  • Options
    Your team can't win a raffle and you have a proven 25 goal a season 24 million pound striker at your disposal owned by your club and on good money but your ego is such that you won't pick him because you have decided to "kick some arse" your team is tumbling towards the trap door and conceding and not scoring goals. The man sounds a genius.
  • Options

Against Ipswich I thought Stephens looked like he'd fit in with the villa squad but he blew it today by having a good game...

Well if you think constantly losing the ball and overhitting every pass, cross or corner a good game...

• Options
    Lambert needs to clear out the experienced pros who haven't bought in to what he is doing and bring in those who do in the window. Means Bent should go - I think he would be perfect for Arsenal but not a Wenger type of player -although he would compliment what they have and give them some new options.
  • Options
    Yesterday's defeat was a real blow, as it was against a relegation rival, the other 2 could at least have been written off as 'top 4 teams' blowing them away.

Villa are now crying out for experience in their team, so it's hard to see how Dale Stephens would improve things for them. Perhaps they should buy Leon Cort from us :-)
  • Options
    Lambert deserves what he gets.
  • Options

Lambert needs to clear out the experienced pros who haven't bought in to what he is doing and bring in those who do in the window. Means Bent should go - I think he would be perfect for Arsenal but not a Wenger type of player -although he would compliment what they have and give them some new options.

Like AVB did at Chelsea this time last year ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Villa were runners-up (I believe) in the first EPL season. I used to live in Birmingham and it is sad to see how far they have fallen. I always preferred them to the Blues and their joke owners.