Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations to Wigan

A Club going from strength to strength considering their fan base. A sign of hope for all of us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20874197

Comments

• Good news. It's probably all down to Dave Whelan, a northener who knows a bit about lookin after t'brass.
  • edited December 2012
    Wdnt fancy getting relegated nowadays with tv money so big and wages so high i wonder how many clubs outside the top six use relegation clauses regularly in player contracts nowadays..
  • Hate Wigan
  • Same jt
  • Why you hate Wigan?
  • Really like Wigan as they annoy the deluded fans and pundits who think there to small to deserve the right to play in whatever league they can get to, the same people who said the same about us for the years we stayed in the Premiership, good luck to them i say.

Nice club with nice fans, the times i have been there to.

• Always associate Wigan with rugby and Eddie Waring
  • JT said:

Hate Wigan

jealously is a sin my child.

• Oh Yes got to love , em small club doing good....
  • edited January 2013
    Lets be honest, if you are in the Premier League with all the TV money, etc and have their level of spending then surely you must make a profit somewhere along the line?

Doesn't really mean much in the long run though. If they get relegated they will be fcuked - same as most of the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Until recently I was always very anti-Wigan, being of that opinion that they have very few fans and don't deserve to be there and so on. But isn't that rather a stupid argument? Being such a rugby-hater I've began to counter this sentiment with the idea that if football becomes more poular in the town then fewer people will go and watch the rugby! Besides all that they have never done anything that gives good reason to dislike them, and moreover Martinez is one of the managers who commands the greatest respect in the country in my opinion. I'm beginning to like them.

Lastly, I agree with Off-It: apart from the top 5/6 clubs there's actually very little point in being in the Premier League. It might be good fun but in the long term it can only do harm. The only good reason for me as a Charlton fan would be to get us the players will need to win the FA Cup. After that you may aswell lower the wage bill and risk relegation.
  • They have a Manager in Martinez who is a thoroughly decent man as well as a a very good Manager. You only have to see the number of times in recent seasons they have been thrashed only to immediately bounce back to recognise that the guy knows what he's doing.

And ultimately they do stay up despite the loss of key players every season such as Hugo Rodallega, Victor Moses, Charles N'Zogbia, Antonio Valencia, Lee Cattermole, Wilson Pallacios, Emile Heskey & Leighton Baines - total transfer fees for those of approx £62m.
  • The only team never to be relegated from the top division of English football.
  • Prefer Wigan to stay up than Southampton.
  • what about rochdale?
  • Riviera said:

The only team never to be relegated from the top division of English football.

Everton?
  • Riviera said:

Everton?
    Everton relegated in 1931.

• what about rochdale?

I was referring to teams that had made the top flight. Der!
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Everton?

Relegated 1930, promoted '31?
  • Whatever!
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Everton?

Arsenal?
  • Woolwich Arsenal have been relegated, in 1913. Depends if you count present day Arsenal as the same club.
  • Woolwich Arsenal have been relegated, in 1913. Depends if you count present day Arsenal as the same club.

Of course they are the same club!