Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

From The Valley to Monaco by bike. 1,000 miles for Cancer Research UK - Need your support!

Hi all,

I'm in need of Lifers support and help!

As you can see by the title, my friend Darren and myself (both season ticket holders) are planning a 1,000 mile bike ride from The Valley to Monaco in September all in aid of Cancer Research UK. Yes, this is what happens when a few beers and a chat gets out of hand!

In 2011, again after having a few beers we decided we wanted to cycle from The Valley to Monaco. A 1,000 mile journey, a challenge. Like most of us we found in the morning, when slightly more sober, various excuses to put it off.
However, the real reason we are doing this is for charity. Like most of us reading this page, we all know someone be it a relative, loved on or friend who has suffered in some way shape or form from cancer. Me and Darren (both 24) have experienced this feeling for the first time in 2012 and so it feels right that we take on this challenge and do something positive against an illness that has an affect on 1 in 3 of us.

We are in the process of making a Just Giving page and will be updating the thread with it as soon as it goes live. We are hoping to raise £2,000 and will be paying for all costs ourselves, 100% of the money raised will go to charity.

What we are hoping for is to set off from the Valley. Preferably pitch side before the game on our way down to Dover. I know BDL does the pitch side announcing for games and I was hoping he might have a contact to get this arranged?
Also, I was hoping that with CAFC being the unique club that it is, to get some sponsorship help from the club. Does anyone have any ideas to help us get this started or who to be put in touch with? I know in the past the club has donated items for auction which would be great.
In my head, I picture us wearing Charlton sponsored outfits (red and white lycra behind a cancer research logo) with a few charlton badges and flags dogged around the bikes and equipment to let the French know we are coming!

As we are in the early stages of planning I am more than aware there are lot of gruelling training sessions to come and I haven't even got a bike as of yet! But this is part of the challenge and one that myself and Darren are looking forward to. We hope CAFC can get involved as much as possible and the help and advice of anyone who has done something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year to all. Keep an eye on this page for our Just Giving page and updates as we go!