Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Safe Standing thing

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Would you be prepared to pay the same amount to Stand as to sit down. Say if they made North Lower All standing but only allowed same amount in as there were seats previously so would not be too congested. CAFC then said Season Tickets are same price in North Upper as in Lower, well would you ?

I would feel a bit of a fraud answering this as I never pay to get in so feel it unfair of me to comment.

Comments

• Options
    well i kind of stand in my seat every game so to me it would be no different.

I would expect a slight discount, though not much. I suspect the pricing issue is probably the main reason why clubs have never pushed to hard for a return.

And you could easily allow a few more people than seats cater for without making it crampt.
  • Options
    Me, pay to stand all day long, whatever the price is. The standing football experience is second to none. The North Lower would be a cacophony of noise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04_MCS[/cite] The North Lower would be a cacophony of noise.

It wouldn't.

It would be a massive improvement but it would have no echo effect because the roof is so far away.
  • Options
    Standing would be excellent. However, I fear that in this day and age it would be too safe, and because of H&S, too sparsely populated. The whole fun and atmosphere was created by everyone being packed into a small area.

I remember Tottenham away in cup (early 80s) when my feet didnt touch the ground for 90 minutes.

Anyway I am too old now and need my seat :-)
  • Options
    Just wanted to use the word 'cacophony'! Simple things and all that...
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I'd be prepared to pay the same amount to stand as to sit down. I just wouldn't accept only having the same amount of people in there with me. I know that sounds mad but 'Foreverred' is correct - you need to have it fairly densely packed to create the atmosphere. I have no fear about it - I always choose to stand at concerts rather than sit so what's the difference? Why can't I make the same choice at football. In fact I think it would be safer at football. Apart from the fact that too many people entered the ground, was it the standing that caused the deaths at Hillsborough or the fencing?
    Therefore having decided that I want more people in the same space then no, I don't think the same price would be justifiable.
  • Options
    The economics of standing areas are that you can get more people in a terrace area than with seats, although I'm not sure how many more - I suppose this will vary from ground to ground. This has to be brought back with strict limits to prevent overcrowding and I hope that in response the clubs will price the tickets competitively to encourage the next generation of fans as well as the low paid, both of whom are currently being priced out of matches.

"Apart from the fact that too many people entered the ground, was it the standing that caused the deaths at Hillsborough or the fencing?"

A combination of factors, too many people turned up, a poor police reaction which failed to prevent those without tickets getting near the stadium, idiotic fans turning up without tickets, a decision to not push kick-off back 15 minutes or so and prevent the panic and then there were the fences and locked gates which trapped people in.

The Hillsborough tragedy was not caused by standing areas per se, but by woeful policing and stewarding, poor administration and a lack of communication between too many parties. To ban standing as a consequence was totally the wrong conclusion.
  • Options
    It was meant as a rhetorical question but well answered nevertheless. There is actually a website dedicated to this campaign.