Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strange song lyrics

Happy Valley said on the worst songs thread :-

"I actually think that The Killers will sink in the same way. Anyone who can write a lyric that says, 'You had a boyfriend who looks like a girlfriend I had in February of last year' and then repeat it several times deserves everything they get."

Now I absolutely love The Killers, but worse than the above. I've always wondered what this means, Anyone ?

Are we human or are we dancer ?

Comments

• Options
    Don't know the answer - but there was a lot of debate at the time as to whether the lyric was "or are we denser?
  • Options
    "KILL AN OLD LADY" In that Queen song, ain't sure what one though...Under Pressure maybe?
  • Options
    from wikipedia "There remains confusion and debate over the line "Are we human, or are we dancer?" in the song's chorus due to its grammar.[10] Debate raged across the Internet over whether the lyrics said "dancer" or "denser", a misunderstanding which invoked conflicting interpretations of the song's meaning.[11][12] On the band's official website, the biography section states that Flowers is singing "Are we human, or are we dancer?" and also says that the lyrics were inspired by a disparaging comment made by Hunter S. Thompson, where he stated America was raising "a generation of dancers".[13][14] If "dancer" is taken as a collective noun for that generation, it works without the "s" (just as "human" does in the first part of the question)."
  • Options
    2 that bug me....

"If you don't get yours I won't get mine as well" - OASIS - Some Might Say

"I gazed a gazely stare" - Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Thanks McBobbin. Some lyrics refer to both denser & dancer.
  • Options
    You'l have to go some to beat this:

Running through my head secretly
    The shouts of the boys in the factory
    I ring you on the telephone silently
    Like blood, like the wine in the darkroom scene

The darkroom scene
    Darkroom scene

A letter
    Once composed
    Seven years long and as tall as a tree
    Reading
    On the wall
    Emissions, efficiency

Efficiency
    Efficiency

Resurrect
    As a feeling
    On my window
    Of a past reunion

Resurrect
    As a feeling
    On my window
    Of a past reunion
    Vision
    Of a picture
    Like the city
    And the air we breathe

The air we breathe
    Air we breathe

She stood beside me once again
    I knew her face
    We met before in the street
    Recalling all the children dancing at our feet

The dancing feet, dancing feet

dEpEchE modE - Ice Machine
  • Options
    Common link for the last 3 is drugs :-)
  • Options
    I don't want to see a ghost
    It's the sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast
    Watch the evening news
  • Options
    Shakira - 'lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains'..................WTF is that about? I am sure that Gerard Pique might know.
  • Options
    I left the South, I travelled North
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I can't help the way I feel

The Smiths, 'Is It Really So Strange'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I left the South, I travelled North
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I can't help the way I feel

The Smiths, 'Is It Really So Strange'

......and they say he is/was a brilliant lyricist !!!

• Options
    Sometimes it's poetry; sometimes it's free association wordplay; sometimes it's the only shit they could come up with that scans!
    Sometimes it's best not to take a lyric too seriously (ask Pete Shotton)
    But who am I to blow against the wind ;-)
  • Options
    I am a walrus.... Goo goo gee choo...?
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

When i saw Bruce willis was dead at the end of sixth sense i jizzed in my pants.
  • Options
    A crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me! All the nightmares came today......
  • Options
    My all time favourite was the complete lyrics of the all time classic Procol Herems (yes i know i spelt it wrong) whiter shade of pale, and they reckon it had nothing to do with drugs! Believe that you'll believe anything.
  • Options
    I'm chasing an elephant up the stairs

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell it by the way I walk" Genesis I know what I like in your Wardrobe.

" Little old Lady Laid mutiLated Late Last night,.... werewolves of London again" Warren Zevon.

" I saw a shooting star last night, I wished on it but it was just a satellite, its wrong to wish on space hardware, I wish, I wished you cared......" Billy Bragg New England.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "Slowly walking down the hall
    faster than a cannon ball"

Gallagher + coke = piss-poor lyricIst.
  • Options
    What ya gonna look like with a chimney in ya

Dunno who sang it but it used to irritate the shit out of me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    A song like are we human that engages you to think about what it means is brilliant. When I listen to it, I think of dancer/s as the ability of us - an insignificant part of the Universe - to do brilliant and creative things and the human being the selfish, boring, stupid society that largely exists. But I am probably so way off the mark and others may interpret the song totally differently -which makes the song even better IMO.
  • Options
    Bother Johnny, caught a plane and he got on it.
  • Options
    I feel quite honoured that post I made on another thread has been used to start a new one! I expected some flak over the "Killers' comment as well.

This is not a bad lyric but defies understanding:

'Cos if I'm not here then it's not there.'

Kevin Ayers, Song from the Bottom of a Well from the Whatevershebringswesing album. The LP is sleeve is also weird.
  • Options

What ya gonna look like with a chimney in ya

Dunno who sang it but it used to irritate the shit out of me

That always reminds me of the play off final. That song was all over the place that spring and I remember hearing it in the car on the way to the match. Shit song, but positive vibes for evermore.
  • Options
    The song of the play offs for me will be new radicals

You get what you give

I think it was called
  • Options
    Love REM but "leaving New York never easy, leaving was never my proud," irritates me
  • Options
    I love loads of Oasis stuff and I love the song but the lyrics really are awful...

I know a girl called Elsa
    She's into Alka Seltzer
    She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train
    She made me laugh
    I got her autograph
  • Options
    Another sublime Kevin Ayers lyric:
    'Am I just an envelope through which you can see' (Hat song)
  • Options
    PaulCAFC said:

Shakira - 'lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains'..................WTF is that about? I am sure that Gerard Pique might know.

He probably wrote them
  • Options
    What a feeling, when we're dancing on the ceiling