Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pedants Thread

Looking at another thread i noticed something about langauage and thought that this might be popular (or has it been done before ? )

If have used the plural in the first word of the title as only one pedant would be able to contribute otherwise and I make the point that it is not a thread belonging to Pedants but relating to them hence no apostrophe ..

Comments

• Options
    *language
  • Options
    And before anyone notices ..I do know that I typed language incorrectly !
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The bracket should be before the question mark :-)

Pedantastic !
  • Options
    Apoligies i can't resist baiting a few grammar nazi's.

• Options
    I know nothing about feet, therefore will not be contributing to this thread.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

If have used the plural

What?
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited January 2013
    I love that you start a thread about pedants and then completely screw up your use of the English language. And then ignoring all other grammatical errors point out that you understand you spelt language incorrectly.

Are you wanting to encourage pedants to come here and correct you because there is no pedant like a grammar pedant?
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

lolwray said:

If have used the plural

What?
    He meant 'I', not 'If'.
  • Options
    Ellipsis are strictly 3 . only, any more or less is wrong. :P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and it's I not i :-) .
  • Options
    Henry will know ;-)
  • Options
    Do the pedants own the thread? If so a possessive apostrophe is missing in the title and also why the capital letter on Thread (sic)?
  • Options

Oh and it's I not i :-) .

It's going to take more than an extra full stop and a capital I to make that post make sense.
  • Options
    Oh, and you're name really should be Lolwray, not lolwray :-)
  • Options

Apoligies i can't resist baiting a few grammar nazi's.

They are usually compensating for not being having been able to perform basic maths at school ;-)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Do the pedants own the thread? If so a possessive apostrophe is missing in the title and also why the capital letter on Thread (sic)?

Excellent grammar point.

As written "thread" could even be a verb, thus the title could be an observation about what more than one pedant does in their spare time.

• Options
    Ain't got a scooby what you are chatting about
  • Options

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

As written "thread" could even be a verb, thus the title could be an observation about what more than one pedant does in their spare time.

The capitalisation of "Thread" precludes that possibility - it must be a noun.

• Options

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

Good point. But surely, you've left out a few commas there :-) .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

Didn't think you could start a sentence with 'But' ? :-)
  • Options

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunctive.
  • Options
    Jints said:

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

And I often do.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Jints said:

PL54 said:

Excellent grammar point.

If that's the case, I demand all the time back I spent in detention at school for starting a sentence with 'but' and 'and'. Would you recommend I contact the European Court of Human Rights?
  • Options
    I think it's fine. Just don't end one on a preposition.
  • Options
    One of my favourite typos from someone providing written input on a job applicant was: "Frankly, I thought his speeling was very poor." Illustrates how carefully one has to be when contributing to such a thread.
  • Options

Ain't got a scooby what you are chatting about

Something about being gay I think
  • Options
    That's what I thought mate we better steer clear of this thread they might turn us
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Henry will know ;-)

I think we've all discovered over the last six years there is very little he doesn't know :-)

• Options
    He was on the board I think

he told me and plaaayer Once