Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Borgen

Does anyone follow the Danish political drama "Borgen"? (literally translated to "The Castle" - the nickname of Christiansborg Palace, which houses all three of Denmark's branches of government).

The Danish political system is a little different from what we are used to in the UK and I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the show. Personally I think it is extremely interesting but I have the advantage of knowing, kind of, how things work over here!

ps - IMHO Birgitte Hjort Sørensen has to be one of the prettiest things on tv right now.

Comments

• Options
    I always liked that seven-of-nine myself.
  • Options
    yes...very nice indeed :)
  • Options
    Don't watch too much Danish TV unfortunately (opened this thread hoping "Borgen" was a new Scandanavian striker we'd bought!) but that's a very pretty lady !
  • Options
    I'm a fan of all the Danish series, The Killing, The Bridge, and the Swedish versions of Wallander. But then I'm a fan of all things Scandinavian ( except for the weather and the price of alcohol) . Anyone who is actively interested in Europe, and is ok with subtitles, will love the series. But my sister is more a "Homeland" type, I didn't bother with series 2 of that.

It's suggested that the success of Borgen in the UK is something to do with the fact that the UK finally has a coalition too, but I think that's a small factor. For me it's that it is an informed insight into how politics actually works in an advanced democracy, and shows us that far from being an "elite" ( that word should be banned) the political class are people like everyone else with strengths and weaknesses, having good and bad days.

Looking forward to the restart of Borgen tonight. Wondering if the lovely Birgitte is still in the storyline, guess Flying Kiwi knows...

Also FK, what's the correct pronunciation of Borgen?
  • Options
    Funnily enough I watched the 1st episode on DVD last night & thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Tremendous first series and really looking forward to the second. The ladies in it are exceptional, especially the prime minister - what a woman
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'll definitely be watching. As an ex-civil servant, I find this insight into the workings of the Danish government fascinating but I'm rewatching the first series on DVD beforehand as I've forgotten all that happened last time.

I had a long weekend in Copenhagen in the summer. It's a relatively easy city to get to know and the Danes are really friendly and welcoming. I can now spot where the action in programmes like The Killing, Borgen and The Bridge is taking place - it puts it into context and it's sometimes useful to know your Christiansborg from your Amalienborg!
  • Options
    was thinking of watching the killing, time to get on this scandanavian new wave hype
  • Options
    The Killing series is worth a watch although they are all far too long and strung out and it seems there are no lights in Denmark, all is done in the dark, shades of the classic 'Seven'.
    The Bridge is tosh but the female lead is a FOX, Borgen ? ... yyyaaaawwwwnnn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Channel is it shown on here?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Don't know how you can say it's boring Lincs, brilliant series.