Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bowie: Where Are We Now?

New single to celebrate his 66th B'day. Pretty good but more 80's than 70's unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FOyDTy9DtHQ

Comments

• Options
    Very poor in my humble opinion. Struck by what a doppelganger for Arsene Wenger he has become...
  • Options
    I like it
  • Options
    I like it and it grows on you, I am obviously a Bowie fan you only have to look at my user name to know that but I will be the first to admit he lost his way on some albums but if this is a taste of what is to come I am really looking forward to the new material.
  • Options
    Not a great Bowie fan but this is spot on for his time in life...It's thoughtful and simply arranged and reflective without being cringey. Didnt think I would be impressed, but I am.
  • Options
    Its good (imho), once again Bowie does something different.
    Not many, if any, artists have continually changed their style and still draw such attention to their work. The Stones are still with us but same old tunes and greatest hits shows from the late 60s early '70s, after that I'm struggling to think of an artist/band that last the test of time so well.
    1964ish through to 2013 not bad going.
  • Options
    Bit schmaltzy and over produced.
    Song is crying out for the accompaniment to be simpler and maybe more acoustic.

IMO, of course. ;o)

But love the way he keeps re-inventing himself.
  • Options

Its good (imho), once again Bowie does something different.
    Not many, if any, artists have continually changed their style and still draw such attention to their work. The Stones are still with us but same old tunes and greatest hits shows from the late 60s early '70s, after that I'm struggling to think of an artist/band that last the test of time so well.
    1964ish through to 2013 not bad going.

There aren't many! Scott Walker is still going, but his later stuff is very, shall we say, niche? The only other artists I can thnk of who hae been relevant for a considerable perioid of time are Paul Weller and Madonna. Not everyone's tastes, but they keep it fresh.
  • Options
    IMHO he wasn't much good when he was 'good', but I suppose this dirge will get saturation airplay. Oh for the years of Davy Jones 50 years ago in Bromley!
  • Options
    Dylan, Springsteen and Leonard Cohen are still producing good stuff, as is Paul Simon though his recordings are few and far between these days. Neil Young is still going strong and Robert Plant has made some excellent albums in recent years. Neil Diamond, too.

I really like Bowie's new single. I'm a fan of his from way back but his work over the last thirty years has been very patchy. I've never quite understood how artists like Paul McCartney, George Michael and Bowie, who as everyone knows have written some wonderful songs in their time, seem quite unable in their later years to find a decent melody and instead churn out one tuneless dirge after another.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oggy Red said:

Bit schmaltzy and over produced.
    Song is crying out for the accompaniment to be simpler and maybe more acoustic.

IMO, of course. ;o)

But love the way he keeps re-inventing himself.

I know what you mean Oggy, but it's not over produced studio wise...the vocals are not crushed by over compression and the percussion breathes nicely. If you mean it's over produced instrument wise then there is no right or wrong as it's all about preferences, but it is often the case that the mix of instruments is first, the melody line second and the story last. If a song is written in this way it is difficult to strip it back later.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, that's exactly what I mean, Maybe - and appreciate your reasoning.

It's a decent enough song in it's own right, but I find it's drowned by the over heavy instrument mix.

• Options
    Not bad - but I reckon he looks more like Voldemort than Wenger.
  • Options
    Not for me I found it dull! Perhaps his next one can be the A-Z of London.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Bowie exhibition at the V&A from march? Got our tickets but they're selling fast and that was before he came out of hiding this week!
  • Options
    My immediate thought was "Poor sod - pension's obviously not performing as well as he'd hoped"!
  • Options
    Check out the "new" version of the video on YouTube, Harry Hill has hijacked it. Hilarious!
  • Options
    Kevin Ayers 'The Unfairground' says it all a lot better. i.e aged hippy reflecting on what life is all about.
  • Options
    BBC1 22.35 David Bowie:Cracked Actor - An Imagine Special

It's a repeat of Alan Yentob's documentary following Bowie across America in 1974.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I never 'got' Bowie at all .. 'got your mother in a whirl, she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl' .. nah not for me
  • Options

I never 'got' Bowie at all .. 'got your mother in a whirl, she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl' .. nah not for me

I'm not surprised we rarely have the same opinion. Smiley, smiley, no offence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not surprised we rarely have the same opinion. Smiley, smiley, no offence.
    C E ... you'se a whreal geezah !!!! (:->)
  • Options
    BBC are in the process of a major new Bowie documentary called Five Years which will be shown in May.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-five-years/
    Make a change from seeing Cracked Actor yet again.

The new album is growing on me.
  • Options
    I never 'got' him either. Always seemed to be trying too hard to make some weird image out of himself. "I'm bisexual.....or am I? Hmmm" (who gives a f***!)
  • Options
    I got him. A major part of my formative years. Stopped getting him in mid 80's. been many false dawns since then, this latest album really does seem his best in 30 years. Although not much to contend with in that time.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I got him. A major part of my formative years. Stopped getting him in mid 80's. been many false dawns since then, this latest album really does seem his best in 30 years. Although not much to contend with in that time.

Agreed. All ended at Scary Monsters for me. It was like the talented DB had been replaced by D. Jones from Beckenham; Palace supporter. New album has given us all some hope
  • Options
    Basically agree with Riviera and Kafka, although I think that Heathen and Reality had real merit.
  • Options
    Love David Bowie
  • Options
    Loved his early stuff. Cygnet Committee on Space Oddity is a great track. Many a time I listened to that stoned out of my head.
  • Options

Basically agree with Riviera and Kafka, although I think that Heathen and Reality had real merit.

Basically agree with Riviera, Kafka & Six-a-bag-of-nuts
  • Options
    Hunky Dory best album ever