Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are any of our youngsters good enough to step up?

Comments

• Options

If we only have Taylor and Morro available for saturday then what youngster is likely to be 3rd choice cb for the day?

Kermorgant.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

If we only have Taylor and Morro available for saturday then what youngster is likely to be 3rd choice cb for the day?

Kermorgant.

Feely or Mambo.

• Options
    Dan Seabourne can play center back, did we still have him?
  • Options
    Chelsea (h) - Wednesday, January 16th (7pm) - FA Youth Cup fourth round

Tickets for Charlton's FA Youth Cup fourth-round clash against Chelsea are on general sale and available online. They are priced £5 adults and £2 U18s and over 60s.

The match will be played at The Valley and the club is only proposing to open the west stand at present.

Unfortunately, Football Association rules mean that the club is unable to offer Charlton season-ticket holders and Valley Gold members free admission to youth cup games.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Dan Seabourne can play center back, did we still have him?

Seaborne went back to Southampton.

• Options
    Imho mambo is never going to make it with us. I personally think he would have been in and around the first team match day squad on a regular basis by now if he was good enough.
  • Options
    chazza said:

Imho mambo is never going to make it with us. I personally think he would have been in and around the first team match day squad on a regular basis by now if he was good enough.

Don't know, in the last 12 months he's gone from loan to loan from conference sides to league 2 and now league 1, if he does well at Shrewsbury can see him being given a run of games for us back end of this year or at least given another yr maybe 18 month contract

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Oggy Red said:

Kermorgant.

Feely or Mambo.

Having just arrived from Ireland, I doubt Feely will be considered ready just yet.

Mambo went to Shrewsbury on loan last week, for the rest of the season.
    Can only be recalled after 28 days.

After his loan at Conference level with Dartford, I would guess Ajayi is most likely next in line to sit on the bench?

But as the Blackpool match is no doubt considered vital -
    if we lost a CB to injury or red card mid match, I believe Kermo would be the most suitable stop gap, especially if Fuller is fit.

• Options
    Remember though that Jenkinson was fairly unknown (Solly the more known of the two), went on loan to Eastbourne (!) then returned and played a few games for us before being judged good enough by Arsenal and Wenger. Blows everything I thought I knew about potential/paths to the first team out of the water.
  • Options
    Azeez , Silva, fox , poyet, Harriot

IMO will all play for our first team IMO

Azeez and Silva are the two I want to see have great futures at Charlton if they keep progressing the partnership they will have will blow the league we are in too piece
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

dickplumb said:

Oggy Red said:

Kermorgant.

Feely or Mambo.

Having just arrived from Ireland, I doubt Feely will be considered ready just yet.

Mambo went to Shrewsbury on loan last week, for the rest of the season.
    Can only be recalled after 28 days.

After his loan at Conference level with Dartford, I would guess Ajayi is most likely next in line to sit on the bench?

But as the Blackpool match is no doubt considered vital -
    if we lost a CB to injury or red card mid match, I believe Kermo would be the most suitable stop gap, especially if Fuller is fit.

Feely has been training with the first team for a number of weeks.

• Options
    Is it the case that Solly was just so much better than that lot to get in the first team?
  • Options
    JonJo was the stand out player in that crop and mainly due to his size and offensive capabilities he shone through

IMO and those that went with me to games Solly was as good but did seem very small

Now where JonJo led the attack and ochastrated the team, Chris Solly just did not let people past he was superb defender

You could see it 3 maybe 4 seasons ago now just how good he was
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    First game I saw Solly play we beat Sheff Utd 6-0 in the youth cup.

http://cafc.digital-ink.co.uk/newsview.ink?matchid=4357&type=m

Charlton: Woolley, Solly, Long, Mambo, Coleman; Yussuff (Rygaard-Jensen 74), Stavrinou, Shelvey; Wagstaff (O'Shea 65), Uchechi (Lozano-Calderon 80), Godfrey.

Hard to believe it was 5 yeads ago. Shelvey and Solly stood out, Mambo (still an u16 like Shelvey) looked likely to be offered a pro deal. All did very well that night but Yussuff, Stavrinou and Long also looked decent.

Yussuff is now in League 2 with AFC Wimbledon, Stavrinou has dropped down the divisions after some time in the Blue Square Prem. Long I think simply wasn't as good as Solly and Jenkinson, now having a decent career in non-league.

Hopefully going to the Chelsea cup match next week, should be a good game. Look forward to seeing the current group.
  • Options

Remember though that Jenkinson was fairly unknown (Solly the more known of the two), went on loan to Eastbourne (!) then returned and played a few games for us before being judged good enough by Arsenal and Wenger. Blows everything I thought I knew about potential/paths to the first team out of the water.

But then Jenkinson had England and Finaldn youth callups, whereas Solly had none. That tends to reflect what other 3rd parties think of young players.

Is Cort definitely out injured, and in that case who else in our squad could cover at CB? Hollands probably could at a push, but he's out on loan. Yann would be good in the air, but can he tackle? Jackson and Stephens are both 6ft 1...
  • Options
    That rule about not being unable to offer season ticket holders free entry is laughable.

What honestly is the point?
  • Options

That rule about not being unable to offer season ticket holders free entry is laughable.

What honestly is the point?

So that the FA gets its cut.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Long I think simply wasn't as good as Solly and Jenkinson, now having a decent career in non-league.

I think you'll find, Scoham - that Stacey Long scored the winner for Stevenage against us in League One last season?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Long I think simply wasn't as good as Solly and Jenkinson, now having a decent career in non-league.

I think you'll find, Scoham - that Stacey Long scored the winner for Stevenage against us in League One last season?

Different Long Oggy.

Scoham's talking about Sam (I think!)
  • Options
    Ah - fair enough. Len.

Sorry, Scoham, if you meant Sam Long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah that was Sam Long.

But then Jenkinson had England and Finaldn youth callups, whereas Solly had none. That tends to reflect what other 3rd parties think of young players.

Is Cort definitely out injured, and in that case who else in our squad could cover at CB? Hollands probably could at a push, but he's out on loan. Yann would be good in the air, but can he tackle? Jackson and Stephens are both 6ft 1...
    Solly played for England u16s, not sure about any older age groups.

Think I'd rather Yann at CB than Stephens or Jackson. I guess we'd bring someone in on loan, unless Feely is considered ready? Can't see the likes Ajayi starting for us just yet.
  • Options
    Playing your forward at CB would be madness
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Can't be worse than Matt Holland was.

Can he?

• Options
    SE10 said:

Quite common for centre forwards to change to centre halves later in their career - until a few years ago, anyway.
  • Options
    Gary Doherty and Dion Dublin managed ok...
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Gary Doherty and Dion Dublin managed ok...

That's debatable
  • Options

SE10 said:

Quite common for centre forwards to change to centre halves later in their career - until a few years ago, anyway.
    Remember Arthur Horsfield playing a couple of games at CB.
  • Options
    Indeed, very encouraging. Though once again i'm left wondering just how good they are. OK, Gomez is only 16 and centre back is not the kind of position torisk raw talent. But if Poyet's so good I'd like to see him on the bench soon - MF is an area we're struggling in at times after all... Curbs-the-cautious blooded Parker at 16, and not in an end-of-season kickabout. If they're good enough, they're old enough...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Kermo is a big tough unit, good in the air, excellent passing range.
    Just the bloke to fill in. Might even be exactly what we're looking for at CB?

Providing Fuller is fit and playing up front, of course.