Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Rangers fans stop drinking.....

..........Magners from now on.

" Celtic have agreed a new three-year shirt sponsorship with Magners, starting from the 2013/14 season.

Dublin-based C&C Group make the drink and also own Tennent's who have been the club's sponsor since 2010.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell would not divulge financial details of the arrangement but said the new deal represented an increase in funding.

The Tennent's deal was reported to be worth up to £1.5m a year for the Scottish champions.

"This partnership is magnificent news, not only for Celtic but also for Scottish football," said Lawwell.

"We are proud to be successfully leading Scottish football at home and in Europe."

Comments

• Options
    Rangers fans wouldn't stop drinking anything for anyone.
  • Options
    Who knows what they will do, there 2 clubs having a religious war in 2013 on the football pitch, crazy clubs with crazy fans.
  • Options
    Magners is far too expensive for your average Rangers fan. They ususally prefer lighter fluid or petrol.
  • Options
    Rangers fans shouldn't have been drinking Magners in the first place...
  • Options
    Ideal for them. The glassfull of ice it comes in provides a good source of missiles to throw at the other lot
  • Options
    Was always a Bulmers man anyway
  • Options
    they might not stop dinking, but they might stop going to games if the new SPL/SFL proposals goes through
  • Options
    Rangers fans there asking Gary
  • Options
    anyone but celtic
  • Options

When The product known as Magners was first sold in Ireland it was called Bulmers. My Irish mate still refers to it as Bulmers which is confusing if I ask for it, "they don't have any Bulmers, but they've got Bulmers"

• Sponsored links:

• Options

When The product known as Magners was first sold in Ireland it was called Bulmers. My Irish mate still refers to it as Bulmers which is confusing if I ask for it, "they don't have any Bulmers, but they've got Bulmers"

Bit like everyone referring to a vacuum cleaner as a "Hoover"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That would get confusing. Bulmers is from Hereford i think.
  • Options
    I dont believe it was a generic (like hoover)' I think that when Magners was launched they licences the name of the English product as it was seen as an established cider. Things have gone full circle and Bulmers are now copying Magners large bottles and serve over ice strategy.
  • Options
    both to expensive.
    give me some white lightning anyday.
  • Options

I dont believe it was a generic (like hoover)' I think that when Magners was launched they licences the name of the English product as it was seen as an established cider. Things have gone full circle and Bulmers are now copying Magners large bottles and serve over ice strategy.

Yes, it's known as Bulmers in Ireland, but they don't own the name in Britain, so call it Magners here instead.
    I presume the shirts will have 'Tennents' on them, rather than Magners anyway.
  • Options
    Will be Magners on shirts.
  • Options
    Cider with ice is cider for people who dont like cider
  • Options

Must be a lot of people who don't like cider !
  • Options
    Never liked Magners anyway, prefer proper scrumpy!
  • Options

Nonsense I drink copious amounts of the stuff and I love cider with ice

Except scrumpy which I drink at room temp
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Must be a lot of people who don't like cider !
    There is. Chill a brew down enough you dont taste it. Might as well have a lemonade.
    Mild cheddar is another one I dont get. Cheese for cheese haters.

Nonsense I drink copious amounts of the stuff and I love cider with ice

Except scrumpy which I drink at room temp
    I'm sure this ice thing is a fashion, I cant remember ever seeing this pre Magners.
  • Options
    Cider is a kids drink, for those that dont like the taste of alcohol, but like the taste of soft drinks, might as well drink shandy.
  • Options
    Both clubs have had the same sponsor for 15 years. Probably because successive sponsors didn't want to be seen to favour one or alienate the other.

Effectively, they still do as C&C own both brands (as well as Bulmers). This time though, C&C are looking to push Magners further afield and are using the football brand to do it.
  • Options
    Someone I know once ordered a Fosters Ice and when I asked him why (because its shit) he replied it was because it was colder than the others.

Even when I pointed out it had come out the same fridge as all the other beers he still wouldn't have it.

He posts on here. I wonder if he's brave enough to own up (assuming he remembers!)
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Someone I know once ordered a Fosters Ice and when I asked him why (because its shit) he replied it was because it was colder than the others.

Even when I pointed out it had come out the same fridge as all the other beers he still wouldn't have it.

He posts on here. I wonder if he's brave enough to own up (assuming he remembers!)

I remember, as an 8-year-old, finding that whole concept ridiculous. "How does being slightly colder make it a new drink that people will suddenly rush out and buy?"
  • Options

Off_it said:

I remember, as an 8-year-old, finding that whole concept ridiculous. "How does being slightly colder make it a new drink that people will suddenly rush out and buy?"
    Indeed. And as Exhibit B I give you FIFA 10, 11, 12, 13 etc - the same bloody game repackaged - but am now going well off topic!

• Options
    more to the point will Ceptic fans stop drinking meths and repay the sponsorship for the investment, I doubt it.
  • Options
    The cider/alcohol elitists out in force here. Some real manly chaps on show!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The cider/alcohol elitists out in force here. Some real manly chaps on show!

Scrumpy is where it's at.
    Crazy world with the Irish and Belgium's selling cider to us. WTF.

• Options
    Looks like the Magners wiki page has already been updated by a Rangers fan !

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners