Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Africa

Can't find the thread so sink if you want

How fecking good is this programme how great are these animals and the harsh reality of wild life

Comments

• Options
    Shhhh, I've Sky plussed it and I don't want to know what happens!!
  • Options
    No probs apologizes just in awe of the magic created
  • Options
    I'm joking, guessing lion eats antelope....! Love stuff like this, always glued to Attenborough, Big Cat Week etc.
  • Options
    Amazing TV, sone of its heartbreaking though
  • Options
    Those elephants... Oh my! Incredible series. He's doing on one the Galapagos islands on Sky as well. The man is my hero.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Those elephants... Oh my! Incredible series. He's doing on one the Galapagos islands on Sky as well. The man is my hero.

He's also got one on birds and one on plants on Sky Anytime at the moment
  • Options
    The jumbo killed me proper
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Highlights the harsh reality which is great for kids old enough to understand imo

Why it's on at 9 is ridiculous. Show it at 7pm on a Sunday so the kids can see it before they go to bed.

People knock the BBC but they make the best wildlife documentaries in the world. Always have.
  • Options
    Not good enough. No red pandas in Africa.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Those elephants... Oh my!

Just seen that. That was so sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Highlights the harsh reality which is great for kids old enough to understand imo

Why it's on at 9 is ridiculous. Show it at 7pm on a Sunday so the kids can see it before they go to bed.

People knock the BBC but they make the best wildlife documentaries in the world. Always have.

It's repeated Sunday early evening
  • Options
    Oh yh course it is! Ha I take back my comment.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me but I watched last weeks and just found it all too perfect. Almost contrived. The 10 minute "making of" section at the end was unnecessary and a bit self indulgent in my opinion. I'm not trying to be controversial, just how it left me feeling. Didn't watch tonight.
  • Options
    Amazing once again tonight.

• Options
    They always do those making of skits. I'd rather have another 10 mins of program. Btw check out the wildlife photography exhibition at the natural history museum. Got to pay for it (£10 I think) but worth it.
  • Options
    Just a marvel of nature and such a great example of how to make gripping tv without the need of dancing dogs or screeching wannabe pop stars or ageing tv celebs stuck in a house

Blew me away tonight from start to finish

The camera work on the flamingos from above I just sat there staring shaking my head

What HD is made for
  • Options
    Havent seen tonights yet but can I just say how immense the giraffe fight last week was! And the baby ostriches, missus wants one for her birthday now
  • Options
    The 10 minute making of bit added on at the end is cos they make a 50 minute programme to sell to America and the rest of the world, but because the BBC doesn't have adverts they have an extra 10 minutes to fill. They don't always work but it's interesting seeing how they got some of the shots, more interesting than a load of ads anyway.
    I really enjoyed the programme, but found the music a bit overpowering. Again, it's probably aimed at foreign markets where there's an expectation of music, and some of it is good, but not to my taste.
    Loved the flamingo shots, and the bats/eagles, and the shoebill, though that was a bit emotionally wrenching as well, like the elephant bit. My daughter was watching last weeks earlier on i-player, with the cart-wheeling spider. Surely these programmes must chip away at some of the creationist ideas that people have. What kind of god creates a wasp that can only lay its egg in the body of a still living creature? Or a bird that lays an extra egg as insurance and lets the chick die once the first one is strong enough?
  • Options
    Attenborough is my man of the century. He's been an invaluable part of my life and the technology now used has improved beyond anything I could have imagined. Did I watch an art or nature programme? The distinctions have become invalid now. Attenborough just has this incredible ability to show us animal behaviour whilst holding up a mirror to our triumphs and failures as human beings. Simply the best.
  • Options

Attenborough is my man of the century. He's been an invaluable part of my life and the technology now used has improved beyond anything I could have imagined. Did I watch an art or nature programme? The distinctions have become invalid now. Attenborough just has this incredible ability to show us animal behaviour whilst holding up a mirror to our triumphs and failures as human beings. Simply the best.

Attenborough is great, but he's bringing his knowledge and insight to the amazing work of the fantastic production team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nice post.

Attenborough is probably one of our greatest national treasures.
  • Options
    The antelopes jumping down the cliffs into the river - mental!
  • Options
    How cutely ugly was the eagle chick? Kind of face only a mother could love.
    I have no problem paying my license fee when the beeb deliver such quality programmes.

Love Sir David.
  • Options
    Not a single tiger shown yet. Pathetic.
  • Options
    I avoided this thread as had to catch up with it on iPlayer.

All I can say is Wow! The cinematography is absolutely incredible.

Loved the little lizards jumping on the lions to get the insects and the giraffe fight from the first episode was breathtaking.

Any idea how many in the series?
  • Options
    5 or 6 I think.
  • Options
    Excellant tv. A real treat.
  • Options
    Loved moments of this series but feel like Frozen Planet and certainly Life were better. Not to take away from this series, the Giraffe fight was brilliant.

I very rarely get excited for TV, but anything with David Attenborough involved in I cream over. Legend of a man
  • Options

5 or 6 I think.

Cheers fella.
  • Options

Very eloquently put. I don't know if I'll be able to watch nature documentaries once Sir David is no longer around to present them, it just won't feel right.

As for the quality of the photography - absolutely jaw dropping in places. The shot from last night when half the screen was dark grey sky, half rainbow and with pink flamingoes flying accross it was amazing. I'd love to be a wildlife photographer but I don't have the patience or the artistic eye.