Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Daphne Oxenford

edited January 2013 in Not Sports Related
Those of us "of a certain age" will remember her.

I used think she had a brilliant name when I was a kid.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9781409/Daphne-Oxenford.html

Comments

• Options
    Yup, those of us in permanently lodged in our 50's remember her well. For me, a whole way of life is recalled just by her voice. A world vividly remembered but so far away. A world of ration books, mangles and coppers, cold bedrooms, slate and chalk in the classrooms and shoes that were too small. The transistor radio aerial had to go out through a metal window frame in the kitchen. I kept telling my dad that I got an electric shock when I opened the window. He didn't believe me and inconviently attempted to electrocute himself whilst I was tuned in to Listen With Mother. RIP Miss.
  • Options
    was that her? A magical BBC voice .. Listen with Mother .. 93 is a good old age though .. RIP
  • Options
    Yes, another age indeed. Thank you 'Auntie' Daphne, RIP.
  • Options

Yup, those of us in permanently lodged in our 50's remember her well. For me, a whole way of life is recalled just by her voice. A world vividly remembered but so far away. A world of ration books, mangles and coppers, cold bedrooms, slate and chalk in the classrooms and shoes that were too small. The transistor radio aerial had to go out through a metal window frame in the kitchen. I kept telling my dad that I got an electric shock when I opened the window. He didn't believe me and inconviently attempted to electrocute himself whilst I was tuned in to Listen With Mother. RIP Miss.

Thanks for conjuring up those great memories, stilladdicted.

I'd add liberty vests, spoonfuls of codliver oil & malt, thick syrupy orange juice ( from the Health Clinic , I think) and a character called Larry the Laaaamb on Children's Hour ?

• Options
    That's right Fanny, and his friend Denis the dashund, Mr. Grouser, Ernest the policeman and Mr. Mayor, voiced, I think by 'Uncle Davic'.
  • Options
    March51 said:

That's right Fanny, and his friend Denis the dashund, Mr. Grouser, Ernest the policeman and Mr. Mayor, voiced, I think by 'Uncle Davic'.

Ah, I remember it well. March51 !

• Options
    Ah that voice. Never knew her name, but never forget that voice. RIP.
    Cold bedrooms? What's wrong with sticking newspaper in the windows to keep the cold out :-)
  • Options
    Just don'task me what I was doing last week, Fanny. Haven't a clue!
  • Options

Cold bedrooms? What's wrong with sticking newspaper in the windows to keep the cold out :-)

Remember in winter when the windows iced up on the inside - you scratched cartoon faces in it and then breathed on it to melt it?

Daphne certainly was the voice our generation all knew.
    Thank you for the memories, Daphne.