Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek McInnes sacked by Bristol City

Another one bites the dust.
Bristol City have sacked manager Derek McInnes following Saturday's 4-0 defeat by Leicester, which left them bottom of the Championship.
The Scot, 41, had won one of his last five games and endured a club record-equalling seven-game losing run earlier in the season.
Football managing director Jon Lansdown said: "This is a decision we felt we had to make for the good of the club."
Assistant boss Tony Docherty has been put in charge of training.
Robins under Derek McInnes
Played: 63
Won: 17
Drawn: 14
Lost: 32
McInnes arrived at Ashton Gate from St Johnstone in October 2011 following the departure of Keith Millen, with the club languishing at the bottom of the Championship with just one win from their opening 12 fixtures.
However, following an eight-match unbeaten run at the end of the campaign McInnes guided Bristol City to safety with a game to spare.
But after an encouraging start to this season, with early wins over promotion chasers Crystal Palace and Cardiff, City have since slipped down the Championship table and they now find themselves eight points adrift of safety.
The Robins are the only club in the Football League still without a clean sheet this season.
Lansdown told the club's official website: "Derek has been a pleasure to work with; he's disappointed but he understands the decision.
"We want to give ourselves the best possible chance of getting out of the situation we are currently in and we've got 20 games to do that."
A former Rangers, West Brom and Millwall midfielder, McInnes's only previous job in management was with St Johnstone, who he guided to the Scottish First Division title in 2009 and promotion to the Scottish Premier League.

Comments

• Options
    Surprised he's lasted so long in the job.

Their local press thought he was doomed after our 2-0 win there back in November.
  • Options
    Anyway, he's played for Millwall - so no sympathy from me.

• Options
    Can we have Baldock now then please
  • Options
    They look destined to go down whoever is in charge, poisoness atmosphere from the fans, which on top of poor showings from the team only leads one place.
  • Options
    By my calculation thats the 10th club to change their manager in the championship this year. WTF.

Crystal Palace
    Nottm Forest
    Burnley
    Blackburn
    Blackpool
    Bolton
    Wolves
    Ipswich
    Barnsley
    Bristol City

Have I missed any?
  • Options
    3 of those though had their manager poached.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

They look destined to go down whoever is in charge, poisoness atmosphere from the fans, which on top of poor showings from the team only leads one place.

The team has no confidence and their own crowd are hostile to them.
    Feeds a downward spiral.

With that atmosphere around them - relegation certainties.

We've seen it ourselves a few seasons back.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Anyway, he's played for Millwall - so no sympathy from me.

This
  • Options
    Curbs?
  • Options
    Not a surprise -he put a good run together last season to keep them up and was backed this season -but he bought strikers and neglected his defence. Was a dead man walking for some time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

Curbs?

Can't see Curbs wanting to have all the hassle of a relegation battle which might well end in relegation and then having to rebuild the club. I think Curbs thinks that he has served his apprenticeship and wants the chance to actually do something. If he could have survived at West Ham for a further season I think he might have achieved something quite good there. Not sure he will ever get the chance again now. What a waste.
  • Options

Oakster said:

Curbs?

Can't see Curbs wanting to have all the hassle of a relegation battle which might well end in relegation and then having to rebuild the club. I think Curbs thinks that he has served his apprenticeship and wants the chance to actually do something. If he could have survived at West Ham for a further season I think he might have achieved something quite good there. Not sure he will ever get the chance again now. What a waste.
    I think Oakster was maybe being a bit tongue in cheek?..................
  • Options

By my calculation thats the 10th club to change their manager in the championship this year. WTF.

Crystal Palace
    Nottm Forest
    Burnley
    Blackburn
    Blackpool
    Bolton
    Wolves
    Ipswich
    Barnsley
    Bristol City

Have I missed any?

The stat looks worse when you factor in that Blackburn and Blackpool have changed their manager twice and Wolves and Nottingham Forest both started the season with entirely new managers!
  • Options
    What's more amazing is that CP is now one of the longest serving managers at a Championship club - only Kenny Jackett, Nigel Clough, Gus Poyet, Tony Mowbray and Darren Ferguson (by 4 days) have been in the job longer.
  • Options
    If there is such a thing as a 'deserved' sacking, then this is probably one of them. I'd be surprised if it made much difference to Bristol City's fate though.
  • Options
    Bristol City have confirmed the appointment of Sean O'Driscoll as their new head coach after sacking Derek McInnes.
  • Options
    Best possible appointment for them.
  • Options
    They cannot afford to be relegated as they have a wage bill of £18.6 million and have lost £25.85 million over the last two seasons.
    Financial fair play is due to come into force next season and by 2015/16 season the losses at a Championship club can be no more than £5m.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

They cannot afford to be relegated as they have a wage bill of £18.6 million and have lost £25.85 million over the last two seasons.
    Financial fair play is due to come into force next season and by 2015/16 season the losses at a Championship club can be no more than £5m.

What happens if they are? Can owners subsidise clubs with donations?
  • Options
    By all accounts Blackpool have had permission granted to talk to the Dundee manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

By all accounts Blackpool have had permission granted to talk to the Dundee manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21011729

It's Dundee united actually
    Scottish manager - tick
    Bald manager - tick
  • Options
    Merry go round and round and round ..... O'Driscoll takes over
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Redhenry said:

What happens if they are? Can owners subsidise clubs with donations?
    I think it was £3m. There was a story on the BBC website
  • Options

Oakster said:

Curbs?

:)

Would miss Curbs sparkling wit and controversial opinions every Sunday on TV over here if he ever got a managers job. Is he on TV on Sundays for the 4pm live game in the UK or is this just a North American thng..??

• Options
    Oakster said:

Oakster said:

Curbs?

:)

Would miss Curbs sparkling wit and controversial opinions every Sunday on TV over here if he ever got a managers job. Is he on TV on Sundays for the 4pm live game in the UK or is this just a North American thng..??

He appears on the Premier League TV programme, which is shown all around the world except in the UK. I certainly get to enjoy him & Andy Townsend every Sunday evening (here).