Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Humidifier,Advice Needed If Poss?

I Need to get myself a humidifier, and am after some advice if any one can recommend from experience.
My property is a bungalow so it would be for the main living area.
Am not sure which to get as there are so many available,any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    might get some ideas from the sponsors website.
  • Options
    Badger is it needed for Medical reasons?
  • Options
    No.
    I have been loking round various sites but not sure which to get.
    It's to get rid of Condensation. Also have some damp.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We have an E-bac dehumidifier and it's in its 10th trouble free year but we only use it for the caravan and clothes drying when it's rainy outside i.e. most of the year! Basically it's the size of the room that is the deciding factor of which make and model to go for. Each de-humidifier will give approximate recommendations as to what size of room it will cope with, some of the cheaper ones won't cope with large spaces. Ask to hear them first though as the fans do make a noise and although you can turn the fan speed down, it's a bit self defeating as less water is extracted.
  • Options
    Got a meaco does for a two bed flat. Not sure the model number
  • Options
    Badger said:

No.
    I have been loking round various sites but not sure which to get.
    It's to get rid of Condensation. Also have some damp.

Then you'll be needing a DE-humidifier otherwise it'll make the damp/condensation worse!

I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice than that though.

• Options
    Can you not deal with whatever is causing the condensation in the first place?
  • Options
    Give Andrews Air Conditioning a bell
  • Options
    Thanks del. IN your oipinion what would be causing the condensation in the 1st place?
    I would be grateful for any advice you might be able to offer.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Not enough ventilation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm sorry, but I love threads like this.
    Badger said:

Thanks del. IN your oipinion what would be causing the condensation in the 1st place?
    Thanks.

Warm damp air on cold surfaces is often the culprit, Badger.
    Make sure steamy atmosphere in kitchen and bathroom is efficiently ventilated.

Older houses gained ventilation from fireplaces, inefficient windows and vents in walls.
    Often today, fireplaces are blocked and PVC double glazing can be a sod, if there's insufficient airflow in the room.

Therefore it's essential that you first tackle the cause of condensation.

If damp is a problem, do check all the obvious causes first - leaking rainwater goods, faulty damp proof course or garden soil piled up above the dpc, and sometimes porous brickwork (if you don't have cavity walling) being lashed by heavy rain.

Might also be worth checking if you've got leakage from plumbing or drainage passing underneath flooring/walls.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Thanks.

Our modern lifestyle is often responsible for excessive condensation forming. We have central heating and double-glazed windows that are rarely opened during cold weather. Ventilation in kitchens, utility rooms and bathrooms is often insufficient to remove all warm, moist air from the building, and this tends to condense on the coldest surfaces causing damp to appear. This is why we tend to get the worst cases in cold weather and why it tends to affect the colder, outside walls more than inner walls that are kept warmer by adjoining properties.
    We are getting many calls at the moment where people are complaining about roofs leaking when it actually turns out to be condensation that is causing the high levels of damp.
    Where is your damp appearing and how long has it been a problem Badger?
  • Options
    It's appearing in the bathroom and inside walls at the back, i have a window bay and still get condensation when i have windows open. Keep the windows open when cooking.
    It's not too bad but need to get rid hence the request about De-hunidifier.
  • Options
    Decent extractor fans might make more sense.
  • Options
    I'm going to have a wall extractor fitted at the back which might help.