Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lineman from Arsenal v City match suspended

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-arsenal-62-linesman-silenced-133135841.html

John Brooks was caught on camera telling the City players to go and applaud their own fans who had paid £62 for a ticket. Now withdrawn from cup game he had been due to officiate at tonight.

Am I missing something here? What on earth has he done wrong? Should be applauded if ever we get him, but I am delighted that we will probably never be in a "Cat A" game!!

Comments

• Options
    Ridiculous!

Mind you, it's unbelievable that the City players needed telling to go over to their fans.

The lino evidently couldn't believe it either.

• Options
    Far to honest for the F.A. :-)
  • Options
    Maybe a player complained because he felt "insulted" much like the Chelsea mob...but its ok for them to abuse the officials.

• Options
    They will construe it as an anti-Arsenal comment

In reality it's a sign that the authorities just want robots that do what the rulebook and the suits tell them to do. Where has the spirit of the game and the recognition of good humour/realism gone?

What a joke.
  • Options
    these people never cease to amaze me.
  • Options
    The linesman was spot on . The FA live on their own little demented world.
  • Options
    So they've 'rested' him due to media interest? They can't even admit to the real reason for withdrawing him from tonight's game.
  • Options
    Is it the FA that's disciplined him? Some people are saying its a different body that's stepped in.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Being a bit harsh on the players here aren't we?

Who's to assume they weren't on their way over to their fans anyway.

Why are we assuming a player has complained? Why are we assuming anyone has complained?

The BBC picked up on it initially as a great bit of footage. It seems the FA are the only ones who have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Think this is ridiculous, the more officials that have a bit of banter and appear normal blokes the better for the players and fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Think this is ridiculous, the more officials that have a bit of banter and appear normal blokes the better for the players and fans.

Agree with this. The recent FourFourTwo players poll is well worth a read. Only a sample of 100 but they prefer a bit of banter with the referees.
  • Options
    The decsion was made by the organisation that manages referees, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL)
  • Options
    My take on this is that the linesman wanted to deflect attention from the referee's decision to send Kompany off. There wasn't even a hint of humour in the way he said it.
  • Options
    Im assuming it is all due to the fact it could be seen as an anti-arsenal comment, either way it is a ridiculous decision whoever made it.

• Options

Who's to assume they weren't on their way over to their fans anyway.

Why are we assuming a player has complained? Why are we assuming anyone has complained?

The BBC picked up on it initially as a great bit of footage. It seems the FA are the only ones who have a problem with it.

TRR - sorry, I didn't post it as a comment against the players, although I did hear a few City fans on BBC after who claimed to have followed the team from the depths to now & they had often been ignored.

The post was really about the absurdity of withdrawing him from tonight's game. I wouldn't even say it was anti-Arsenal. From what was reported about this price, City charged them £56 for the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Explains why City didn't wish to comment when asked to before the game about the cost for their fans. All as bad as each other as they battle to pay more & more to their players...perhaps I should have put this in the Corinthian Spirit thread. Sad, & expensive, times for fans for the foreseeable future!

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

The decsion was made by the organisation that manages referees, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL)

That's what I heard.

Is this part of the FA? If not then they are coming in for some unfair stick
  • Options

It was just a throw away comment really..couldn't think of any other reason just to punish this chap.

• Options
    Whilst I admire what the Lino said, it is correct for him to be stood down for bit. Match officials should never be the centre of attention.
    It happened with that bird who Andy Gray slagged off, quite correctly. She does a bloody good job these days.
    This blokes words has had over a million hits on YouTube, too hot at the moment. He'll come back.
  • Options
    My initial reaction when I was watching it on Sunday was "what's it got to do with him?"

Bit silly suspending him though, a quiet word would have done the trick.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Whilst I admire what the Lino said, it is correct for him to be stood down for bit. Match officials should never be the centre of attention.
    It happened with that bird who Andy Gray slagged off, quite correctly. She does a bloody good job these days.
    This blokes words has had over a million hits on YouTube, too hot at the moment. He'll come back.

Million is miniscule

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattD said:

Riviera said:

Million is miniscule

But probably actual hits this time Matt!! ;-)
  • Options
    And the chief exec of the refs

Is ?????????

One of the worst I ever have seen
  • Options

Is ?????????

One of the worst I ever have seen </blockquote

Mike Riley

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Dansk_Red said:

Is ?????????

One of the worst I ever have seen

Is that the same Mike Riley who used to be on the board of HMV?
  • Options
    The only thing he did wrong was say it when a mic was near. I'm sure stuff like this happens every week, which would make the PGMOL position ludicrous in my view.
  • Options
    I can see why .. it is no business of a linesman to tell players what do do other than to keep them in good order if they are 'misbehaving'. His act implied a non neutral stance which is not acceptable in any official who is officiating in a high pressure, high profile sport.
  • Options
    I saw an Arsenal mate of mine last night and he was fuming about the linesman. He already thought the game was bent because of the Koscielny sending off and when he heard this he took it to mean that the officials were not impartial. The result kept the title race open.

I hasten to add that these are his views and not mine.
  • Options
    Don't see what the big fuss is about really. The video has a silly amount of hits for what it actually is.
  • Options

I can see why .. it is no business of a linesman to tell players what do do other than to keep them in good order if they are 'misbehaving'. His act implied a non neutral stance which is not acceptable in any official who is officiating in a high pressure, high profile sport.

Although I agree Lincs, I feel him being 'rested' is a bit OTT.