Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blockbusters.

Is in trouble now.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    The store,another 4,000 jobs on the line nothing can stop this download world.
  • Options
    Poor old Bob, he'll never get another job at his age.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Specially as he's been dead for five years.....
  • Options
    The first Blockbuster store in the UK opened in 1989. In the past few years it has faced increasing competition from online-only rental firms who post DVDs to subscribers and, more recently, from streaming services which allow users to download films and TV series.
  • Options
    See my comment on the HMV thread, if anyone wants to send me £10 i will give them next weeks lottery numbers
  • Options
    Wasn't the one in welling the biggest video shop in Europe?
  • Options
    Noticed it had halved in size the other day, the other half being a tile shop I think it was.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Noticed it had halved in size the other day, the other half being a tile shop I think it was.

Plumbers merchants

• Options
    I'm amazed Blockbuster has lasted this long. Another case of overpricing themselves out of the market just like HMV . Feel sorry for the staff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm amazed Blockbuster has lasted this long. Another case of overpricing themselves out of the market just like HMV . Feel sorry for the staff.

huge US company probably paying close to zero tax and possibly a huge tax write off for the US conglomerate which owns it .. when the tipping point comes .. B'Busters will go down with all hands lost unfortunately .. young people mostly with nowhere else to go for a decent wage job .. retailing is the new manufacturing in GB .. once that goes down we are in SERIOUS trouble .. if we are not already
  • Options
    the one in catford never seems to have anyone in there.

still go to blockbusters myself but for the second hand dvds not to rent anything.
    Havent used my account for five years. not since losing a dvd i rented off them. I'm not paying a f'cking tenner for 'adulthood'. crap film.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Plaaayer said:

Or just over one, depending on how good your maths is I guess :-)
  • Options
    Wonder what the Welling Blockbuster will turn into? A beauty salon? An Afro-Carribean barber shop? (I swear that Welling High Street is looking more and more like Tottenham High Road every week!) Sainsburys Express? I would have had money on it being a Tescos Express had the one at the station not opened recently!
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Plaaayer said:

Or just over one, depending on how good your maths is I guess :-)
    Me maths is worsed than me grammer! ; )
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Wonder what the Welling Blockbuster will turn into? A beauty salon? An Afro-Carribean barber shop? (I swear that Welling High Street is looking more and more like Tottenham High Road every week!) Sainsburys Express? I would have had money on it being a Tescos Express had the one at the station not opened recently!

A fast food outlet of some kind must be heavy odds on favourite. In a few years time Welling will surely have an obesity epidemic as there's a fast food place seemingly every few yards from Harry's chip shop down by morrisons to kebab ye up by the shell garage.
  • Options
    I used to do the maintenance for around 70 of their stores until three years ago when they told us they simply could not afford to use us anymore. I'm astounded they lasted this long to be honest . Out of the 70 stores I maintained there are no more than 15 still open and they are in a terrible state of repair .

We carried on doing their emergency electrical call outs and it's heartbreaking for me to see how bad they've become when I worked so hard to get them in such a good conditon.
  • Options
    ANOTHER company that has gone into administration owing me money. I have to say January 2013 is definitely unlucky for some.....
  • Options
    Hope it won't affect your business too badly SC.
  • Options
    Sorry for that SC this is the unreported side affect of big businesses like Blockbusters folding all the small companies that serve them get knocked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I had a gift card I couldnt use in HMV or say Blockbuster owed me money and I knew I could no longer get it, I swear I would just walk in there and take what I could and see what happens.
    Its a total pisstake.
    What happens to all the people that take out the insurances from Comet for their goods and it breaks within 3 years??

Makes My blood boil this, and yes I do feel sorry for the staff as well.

• Options
    Let's go old school.

Who remembers Broadway Video when it was down near where Superbowl is now. Spent half my childhood in there. Used to wander in as an 8 year old with a mate and rent out Nightmare on Elm Street without a problem! Is it even still there?
  • Options

If I had a gift card I couldnt use in HMV or say Blockbuster owed me money and I knew I could no longer get it, I swear I would just walk in there and take what I could and see what happens.

I should imagine you'd be arrested.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It would make an interesting legal case, though.

Why not take it on as a test case, CPL ....?

;o)
  • Options
    The thing is HMV don't own the majority of their stock, so you'd be stealing from someone else. Things are not that simple.
  • Options
    How does that work, Riviera ......... other companies own and deliver their stock to HMV, and HMV sell it on for a percentage?
  • Options
    the recent south park episode on blockbusters summed it up really.
  • Options
    That's how business works. The big companies take delivery of goods from smaller firms and then put off paying them for as long as possible. They're all at it. Not just in retail, in construction, catering and just about everything.
  • Options
    Don't understand how it hung about so long tbh. The dvds were overpriced and half the time didn't even fucking work.

Not good for those who worked there though.
  • Options
    I was 4 years into a 5 year warranty on a TV from Allders when the TV broke. As the warranty was issued by the company it was worthless when I tried to claim.
    I would think it would have been different if the policy had been with by a third party insurer, eg Legal and General, as most of them are now.