Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

National Lottery Ticket Price To Double to £2

>increase will take effect in the autumn
>3 matching balls will now get £25
>4 balls rises from £60 to £100
>5 balls decreases from £1000 to £500
>5 balls plus the bonus ball will halve to £50,000
> jackpot will increase

Comments

• fiveballs = 250/1 about 55,550/1 shot sick
  • No more lotto tickets for me .. a 100% increase is quite simply out of order. I pity the lotto addicts, twice the price for a fix
  • Good news. I'll be saving £2 instead of £1 :-)
  • don't understand the thinking behind reducing the prizes for 5 & 5 plus bonus balls.
  • Might as well save your lottery expenditure till you've got £100 and invest in premium bonds.
  • What a strange time to make this announcement, its hardly been a week when everyone is feeling flush with cash.
  • I gave up playing after about a year into it and haven't bought a ticket since........total waste of money.

what really gets me is that they still say how many times a ball has been drawm out, after all this time. I happened to catch the draw a few months back and couldn't believe it when they announced...." ball number 5 - thats the 305th time that has been drawn, ball number 37 - thats is the 367th time that it has been drawn..."

wtf is that all about !
  • I only have a go when the pot builds up, ie mainly the Euro when it hits £100million or Nat L when it hits £10 million. Still waiting to win the big one.
  • Shooting themselves in the foot me thinks. I havn't played it for a long time now.
  • Greed from someone, I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• "One of the key changes to the UK Lotto is the addition of the Lotto Raffle game. As reported on Lottery.co.uk this new part of the UK Lotto will see at least 50 winners scoop a guaranteed £20,000 in every draw and as there are two UK Lotto draws a week (Wednesday and Saturday) this would mean that 100 ticket holders could become £20,000 better off every week thanks to the UK Lotto Raffle."
  • "One of the key changes to the UK Lotto is the addition of the Lotto Raffle game. As reported on Lottery.co.uk this new part of the UK Lotto will see at least 50 winners scoop a guaranteed £20,000 in every draw and as there are two UK Lotto draws a week (Wednesday and Saturday) this would mean that 100 ticket holders could become £20,000 better off every week thanks to the UK Lotto Raffle."

What a load of poo poo.

Just stick to the LOTTERY and put the £1m+ money into that. People aren't buying raffle tickets.
  • Euromillions do a raffle where there is guaranteed £1m winner in every country. The jackpots are also much higher. Why would you pay the same price for lotto?
  • They will finish up killing it.Too many games costing too much and with fewer playing the odds don't reflect the prizes.
  • The National Lottery - the working class tax.
  • for what is supposed to be a random draw how often do you get a run of numbers these are 2 results that came up recently:
    17 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 25 - 26
    14 - 15 - 17 - 29 - 30 - 33
    there is no way you should get a run of numbers if the balls are mixed properly.
  • No one is forced to do the lottery.

If you don't want to pay £1 or £2 then don't.
  • edited January 2013
    Completely irresponsible to do this when more and more people are struggling to find money for the basics let alone let Camelot cash in on our (in the widest sense) addiction to gambling. Isn't it Newham, the poorest borough in the UK, that has the highest number of betting shops per capita? It would be nice to think they'd end up getting bitten on the backside by the public telling them to poke it but unfortunately it'll end up with even more people in more debt instead.

It saddens me greatly whenever I end up in the paper shop queue behind some old girl handing over £20 on a Saturday when they can clearly not afford it.
  • for what is supposed to be a random draw how often do you get a run of numbers these are 2 results that came up recently:
    there is no way you should get a run of numbers if the balls are mixed properly.

You jest? Please tell me you're kidding.

• sadly not mate you can check them online
  • Sponsored links:

• Completely irresponsible to do this when more and more people are struggling to find money for the basics let alone let Camelot cash in on our (in the widest sense) addiction to gambling. Isn't it Newham, the poorest borough in the UK, that has the highest number of betting shops per capita? It would be nice to think they'd end up getting bitten on the backside by the public telling them to poke it but unfortunately it'll end up with even more people in more debt instead.

It saddens me greatly whenever I end up in the in the queue behind some old girl handing over £20 on a Saturday when they can clearly not afford it.

But if they don't their numbers will come up!
  • Adam, there's as much chance of getting the run of numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 as any other combination.
  • Errrr.... Sorry it's not the sequence I was querying it's your grasp of simple probability. The sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6 is equally likely to be drawn as 3-17-24-31-40-48, however well you mix the balls.

Brilliant!! Made my evening that!!

Sometimes I despair at the level of education in this country. Seriously - it is an utter disgrace that the most basic mathematical concepts are clearly not being taught effectively. My nephew doesn't know how to work out the area of a rectangle, for God's sake, and he's 15!
  • WSS said:

Adam, there's as much chance of getting the run of numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 as any other combination.

And 1-2-3-4-5-6 is THE most common combination of numbers picked because some people are of the belief that no one else will think of selecting them!
  • I always thought the only fixed prize value was the £10 - the rest was varied according to the size of the jackpot fund & the number of matching tickets at each level....at least that's how it was at the beginning.
  • edited January 2013
    Now we've shown our friend the laws of probability let's all be realistic and admit that we know in practice that 1-2-3-4-5-6 will never happen. Once you've accepted that then you must realise that any six numbers you choose won't come up either. Get your head round that and you can stop wasting your hard earned.

Having said all that, I still do it because I think I'm a lucky person and will win the big one someday. When I do, at least I won't waste time wondering what I'm going to spend it on as I've been planning that for over 18 years!
  • Riviera said:

Now we've shown our friend the laws of probability let's all be realistic and admit that we know in practice that 1-2-3-4-5-6 will never happen. Once you've accepted that then you must realise that any six numbers you choose won't come up either. Get your head round that and you can stop wasting you're hard earned.

Having said all that, I still do it because I think I'm a lucky person and will win the big one someday. When I do, at least I won't waste time wondering what I'm going to spend it on as I've been planning that for over 18 years!

'Your'

Seems the standard of English being taught is just as bad... :o)

You're right though, of course. If only people would get some common sense and realise how ludicrously stacked against them the odds of winning a life-altering sum of cash on the lottery are over the course of their lifetime, it might make them think there's something better they could be spending the 100 quid a year on, or whatever their annual lottery spend is.
  • edited January 2013
    The Lottery is purposely designed to make it extremely difficult for the ordinary person to win a life altering sum.

It's also just as damned difficult to win a sum sufficient to only pay off the mortgage and have a holiday.
    That would make a huge difference to many people's lives.

The Government definitely don't want a nation of lottery winners.
    It's just a tax on the desperate.