Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

African Cup of Nations

It’s here; first game of the tournament, South Africa v Cape Verde at 4pm. Live ITV 4/eurosport.

I know some wanted a preview of each game individually like we did for the euros, but I thought it would be easier if I put it all in one thread.

I took it upon myself to copy and paste a guide for each team that our competing in this year’s competition. Don’t worry it didn’t take me too long, but your thanks is much appreciated.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2013/jan/18/nations-cup-southafrica

Comments

• Options
    Surprised Cape Verde are in the Finals, would guess they have a few players who play in Portugal.
  • Options
    I thought you weren't allowed to broadcast games at this time of day ?
  • Options

Surprised Cape Verde are in the Finals, would guess they have a few players who play in Portugal.

First time Cape Verde have qualified - not bad for a nation of only half a million people, and the usual African heavyweights of Cameroon,Senegal and Egypt havnt got into the tournament this time.

• Options
    Lovely country Cape Verde...if you enjoy a bit of island hopping you could do alot worse then going there for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone else feel that this competition occurs too often, as a result decreasing the interest. Also, why do people seem to pay more attention to this than to the Copa América (which surely is of a higher quality)?
  • Options
    never knew henrik larsson was from cape verde.
  • Options

Doesn't anyone else feel that this competition occurs too often, as a result decreasing the interest. Also, why do people seem to pay more attention to this than to the Copa América (which surely is of a higher quality)?

Tend to agree, not really that interested but will keep an eye on the results...is it every 2 years?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I think TV has alot to do with this. Not sure if the copa america is on tv and if it is then it would be on quite late. though i would rather see it. i used to really like the afican cup a few years back when the teams all played attacking football but never knew how to defend, becomes end to end, though quality was down a bit. Tactics and European influence has changed this. they had to, to make the African nations more competitive against the rest of the world. Though at times it does go back to the old exciting way.

• Options
    I think it's one of the best international tournies

I love watching the voo do doctors and the blokes that look like they have been laying on the white touch lines of a footie pitch just mental the football is normally very fast and physical even if not the most technical

Will be putting it on and listening to player for us
  • Options

Tend to agree, not really that interested but will keep an eye on the results...is it every 2 years?
    The last ACN was last year, they're moving the tournament to odd years so doesn't clash with WC/Euros and from now will be every four years rather than two.

I'd imagine the increased coverage of this tournament vs the Copa America over here is to do with both Africa's more favourable time zone for live coverage and the bigger African cultural presence in the UK
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Interesting, Quinton fortune was just saying that though loads of money has been spent before during and after the south african 2010 world cup towards future development, there has been no youngsters coming through who are a better quality than the already established players. He seemed disappointed that the legacy has not lived up to its promises. still early days but he doesn’t sound confident.
  • Options

Interesting, Quinton fortune was just saying that though loads of money has been spent before during and after the south african 2010 world cup towards future development, there has been no youngsters coming through who are a better quality than the already established players. He seemed disappointed that the legacy has not lived up to its promises. still early days but he doesn’t sound confident.

I don't think you can ignore both the increasing political instability in that country when trying to figure out why SA aren't better than they are
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I don't think you can ignore both the increasing political instability in that country when trying to figure out why SA aren't better than they are
    true. not something that will get mentioned on itv 4 sport.
  • Options
    If you have Eurosport it's on there too but with slightly better coverage. I'm still not sure how they are allowed to broadcast this at this time on a Saturday.
  • Options

Same time zone. Copa America games are on in the middle of the night in Europe.

• Options

Same time zone. Copa America games are on in the middle of the night in Europe.

But you could have a highlights programme at least. I think that the interest would be there. Seems to work for MOTD.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If you have Eurosport it's on there too but with slightly better coverage. I'm still not sure how they are allowed to broadcast this at this time on a Saturday.

Not sure what you mean, but 15.00 embargo is based on the TV deals with the UK Football authorities that Sky and BBC and ITV have for UK matches. Don't think there would be any ACN agreement.
  • Options
    got a feeling cape verde could cause an upset here..
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

se9addick said:

Not sure what you mean, but 15.00 embargo is based on the TV deals with the UK Football authorities that Sky and BBC and ITV have for UK matches. Don't think there would be any ACN agreement.
    I see. So could sky or espn theoretically broadcast live Spanish /German/Italian games at 3pm ? I thought the embargo applied to broadcasting any football between 3-5pm on a Saturday
  • Options
    The standard is Absolutely terrible!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The standard is Absolutely terrible!!!

Normally is in the group stages, the latter stages are normally pretty good though.

Not sure I can handle sitting through 90 mins of those vuvuzelas.