Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Grim North West

No, not the places or the people, but the years and years I've followed the Addicks to those lovely towns in Lancashire only to see Charlton meekly capitulate to the home team. I always took the draws as positives and if we only lost by the odd goal and managed to score one ourselves, I was fairly content with my lot. The wins were as rare as hen's teeth and were, despite the odd couple of surprises like the Cup win at Blackburn and a tuesday night in Burnley, the North West was always an inhospitable place for both Addick fans and players.

So what's happened this year? Solid wins at Blackpool, Burnley and Blackburn (I missed the defeat at The Reebok) and a new confidence amongst the soft southern shandy drinkers which is starting to give me an "easy three points" cockiness about our visits there.

Or is this all a dream and we will meekly roll over as we lose 4-0 at our first ever visit to Accrington in a few years time?

Comments

• Options
    A long way to travel for players and supporters especially in the snow and I wonder if the team travel up the day before a match and stay overnight in a hotel. If they don't and spend all that time travelling by coach then I am very impressed with their fitness and don't suffer from fatigue.
  • Options
    Three good attacking teams that we have stifled using suitable tactics.

We've then exploited their poor defences and taken out chances.

Same should have happened at Bolton but we didnt take our chances, then a Prem quality sub came on and scored two good goals and we were punished.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

A long way to travel for players and supporters especially in the snow and I wonder if the team travel up the day before a match and stay overnight in a hotel. If they don't and spend all that time travelling by coach then I am very impressed with their fitness and don't suffer from fatigue.

They always go up the night before
  • Options
    I was at The Reebok and I agree completely Gary.
  • Options
    Addickted - remember that early eighties trip to Oldham to lose 1-0 in a night match.

Got comp tickets for the game and took our place in the home stand amongst a crowd of 3,000. Asked to move by an old guy as I was in his seat. Told him it was sit anywhere as the ground was empty. He replied "I've sat in that seat for 45 years!"
  • Options

Addickted - remember that early eighties trip to Oldham to lose 1-0 in a night match.

Got comp tickets for the game and took our place in the home stand amongst a crowd of 3,000. Asked to move by an old guy as I was in his seat. Told him it was sit anywhere as the ground was empty. He replied "I've sat in that seat for 45 years!"

"You're in myyyy seat". Still laugh about that now. I expect the old guy is in the flat cap and whippet home in the sky now.

• Options
    Seen us win at Man United, Man City, Liverpool,Everton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, Rochdale, Bury, Oldham, Preston, Carlisle. Mind you lucky with the Old Trafford and Anfield ones cos they don't happen often! Never at Wigan or Bolton as far as I can remember, just remember losing a lot.