Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Samsung TV advice needed

Am trying to buy a Samsung 40 inch Smart TV. On Amazon there appears to be a huge difference in price ..up to £300.. Between certain models. They all appear to be widescreen, Smart , HD and HiFi, anyone know if the cheaper ones are older models?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    My guess is that the 3D ones are the expensive ones.
  • Options
    What are the model numbers? The latest is the 800 series.
  • Options
    I believe that Samsung also do TVs with dual tuners - Freeview HD and Freesat HD. Maybe the more expensive one has both?
  • Options
    Thanks all, have sorted.
  • Options
    Yes, they do - I just checked the John Lewis web site. ES6710 seems to be the duel tuner version in different sizes. There's a free 5 year guarantee with John Lewis by the way. And they pay UK tax :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You'll want to pay attention to whether they are back lit or edge lit (latter is cheaper, but will be uneven, only really noticeable on very dark scenes), and to the refresh rate. Cheap TVs are 50Hz or 60Hz, best are 200Hz (plasma's are a lot higher, but use a lot more power and generate a lot more heat, hence LCDs/LEDs being more popular). Higher refresh rate is better, again not noticeable for typical TV shows, but does make a difference to action movies and sports, anything with lots of high speed action. You'll see more blurring the lower the rate.

Also check that if it's a 3D set that it is actually 3D and not "3D ready", which means you have to buy extra stuff, and check what tech the glasses use and how many are included.

Similarly, if you're getting a smart TV and you're going to need Wi-Fi, then make sure that is includes and that the set isn't "Wi-Fi ready" meaning £30-£50 for a proprietary dongle.

Another difference, which may take some researching, is the various technologies included. Cheaper sets will just output the picture as they receive it. Pricier sets will tend to have dynamic back lighting, higher contrast rations, image processors to improve motion, upscale SD content, etc.

Just bought a new TV myself, and spent a couple of weeks buried in all this stuff. Ended up going for a 47" Panasonic Viera, was the best combo of features for the price. The high-end Samsung's are very impressive, my mate in the US has a 55" one that is stunning, but will cost you a small fortune.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-UE55ES7000-Freeview-Ethernet-Integrated/dp/B007NH6B60/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1358956866&sr=1-10
  • Options
    I think some are made in Morocco and some in Belgium.
  • Options

I think some are made in Morocco and some in Belgium.

You must be a stalker..or an elephant..