Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Orphaned bike locks

I have noticed an increase in bike locks left, locked, on bike stands but with no bike attached. Today I saw 4 on two bike stands. Now these locks weren't cheap ones so it led me to wonder why their owners left them. There are a number of cyclists on CL so, to prevent me from suffering insomnia over this dilemma, can anyone offer a solution?

Comments

• Maybe they leave the lock to 'save' their space?
  • Rizzo said:

Maybe they leave the lock to 'save' their space?

Or because they might not have bags with them. So they leave the lock on the stands to pick them up later.
  • Leave the lock at a stand near work, just bring the key with you to lock the bike up when you get there?
  • they all belong to the same bloke and he's just showing off how many he has?
  • they all belong to the same bloke and he's just showing off how many he has?

One day his children will inherit them, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, stock and barrel.

• edited January 2013

Leave the lock at a stand near work, just bring the key with you to lock the bike up when you get there?

This. I've got 3 gold standard locks on "my" rack in our secure office compound. I dont really need to be carrying 5kgs of locks with me when I'm commuting by bike!!!

• JohnBoyUK said:

Leave the lock at a stand near work, just bring the key with you to lock the bike up when you get there?

This. I've got 3 gold standard locks on "my" rack in our secure office compound. I dont really need to be carrying 5kgs of locks with me when I'm commuting by bike!!!

Yeah this is what I do at 6th form to, its just more practical to leave the lock there and only take a key. I know that there will be no one using that rack anyway so its just much simply easier.
  • I'm not sure but I think people leave them on the rack so they don't have to carry the lock in with them! Just a wild Stab in the dark tho!
  • anybody on here thinking of forming a new band, there's your name sorted.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah this is what I do at 6th form to, its just more practical to leave the lock there and only take a key. I know that there will be no one using that rack anyway so its just much simply easier.
    Yeah mine is outside work at the moment but as I'm a fair weather cyclist it will probably have seized up when I finally get round to using it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

they all belong to the same bloke and he's just showing off how many he has?

One day his children will inherit them, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, lock, stock and barrel.

Nice!
  • As above - I've got a 60 quid lock - that weighs an absolute f***ing ton. No way I'm putting that in my bag when I bike it in to London from Reigate. I leave it safely locked up on the bike rack at work, and if I have to go anywhere else I carry a smaller lock with me as I'll only need to pop in somewhere quick. Last year before I bought my 'proper' bike I had a second hand one from Decathlon - the bike cost me less than the lock.
  • Did this idea originate in Germany by any chance?
  • possibly the most random thread ive seen on CL
  • I thought they were securing the bike stands. I have never heard of a bike stand being stolen so assumed they were very successful at their job
  • I also agree about the band name and randomness
  • edited January 2013
    Macronate said:

anybody on here thinking of forming a new band, there's your name sorted.

I'd buy that album just for the cover alone.

• Cheers! I think Ralph is right that they protect the stands. I can sleep soundly now:-)
  • You all have it wrong - I invented invisible bikes a while back and they are selling well

• Oh, and I have also invented invisible locks as well but can't seem to shift them - if used in conjunction with the invisible bikes it gets messy.
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

You all have it wrong - I invented invisible bikes a while back and they are selling well

i might be interested in buying one.

can you post a pic?
  • What colour ?