Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 12th March 1994 Man Utd 3 Charlton 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'd forgotten how good that United team was, no squad rotation in those days!
  • Options
    On the ticketing, the little-known secret is that for a short while they were taking phone orders. Those in the queue were well hacked off when my Dad showed up to collect several tickets without any kind of wait. I think they must have suspended phone sales after a while, or simply stopped answering the phone...
  • Options
    I've posted this photo from the game previously on another thread but I think it disappeared some time ago.

Titled: Charlton fan finds solace in meat pie.
  • Options
    I was living in Spain at the time on a very low budget with absolutely no chance of making it home so imagine my amazement and delight when I found out that this game was to be screened live at 3 o'clock (4 pm Spanish time) on Canal + (pay tv) which usually showed English Premier League every Saturday afternoon. I managed to convince our local host Vicente to screen it with the promise of enough customers drinking during 'siesta' to make it worth his while and then proceeded to rustle together almost the entire UK expat community in the city (about 12) to the bar for the big occasion. Got very excitable at the sending off and thought we had a chance only for hopes to be dashed as usual. Safe to say though plenty of cervezas were consumed and it was great to hear the Spanish commentators struggling with the pronunciations of some surnames they were not used to..... and had no chance of getting correct.. Leeeeeeeeeeeeeaburn!!
  • Options
    Stone said:

I've posted this photo from the game previously on another thread but I think it disappeared some time ago.

Titled: Charlton fan finds solace in meat pie.

Is this not the infamous "Oxford" ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It is indeed. I was working in The Mirror at the time and rifled their photo room.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Posted By: HOME & AWAY
    Schmeichel was sent off in the 44th minute for deliberately handling Kim Grants goalbound effort outside his area.

A massive 10,500 addicks made the trip to see Charlton play in their first cup quarter final since 1947
    I thought Schmeichel was sent off for the foul on Kim Grant?

That is correct
  • Options
    I stewarded one of the 75(?) coaches on the day.
  • Options
    Me and my brother went up on the train from Euston. Great day out - except I missed Carlo's goal as I'd nipped out to the bogs. Typical
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Ahh...PROPER goal-nets!!! I yearn for a return to proper goal-nets....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cannot believe this game was 30 years ago, Life goes quick
  • Options
    30 years, yes indeed, life goes quick - went on supporters club coach for this match - have never gone by coach again - that was a loooong day - enjoyed the game though
  • Options
    Running my own business back then, I had a job on in Glasgow on the night of this match that I just could not get out of, I was gutted. 
  • Options
    One of my suppliers had a box on the side of the Stretford End. They gave it to me for the day. There were eight of us there, food and drink provided. The home fans knew we were Charlton and kept turning round giving us  'banter' when they scored. We were really happy that the box had a volume control, so we could turn the sound down everytime they scored. What a great day 😀 
  • Options
    I recall a tout outside trying to buy our tickets. I think they were about £25 face value and he was offering £200. Yeah right my first ever Quarter final and at Old Trafford. Wonder how many sold up and wen to the pub.

Kanchelskis was insanely quick that day. I recall his raking runs across the pitch and it was like one of the old computer games 'Olympics' when one runner goes twice as fast as everyone else.

Despite the result, Charlton did us proud. 

My first proper away day with such numbers. I, like most, was used to the usual hundreds. 

• Options
    I missed it also. I was in Koh Pangan in the 4th year of travelling around doing nothing. Near kick off I was desperate to find some way of watching or hearing the game. I tried every bar and shop on the island. Eventually found one that wanted to help and we managed to tune their radio to some commentary but it was piss poor so I gave up. The worst thing was I was travelling with my mate who’s Palace. 
  • Options
    Time flies indeed.

I do recall being at another north west fixture the Saturday before Man United. Definitely not 10k of us at Bolton ! 
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Always had mixed feelings about this one. Sure, it was a day out etc, but when they did the draw Utd were the only ones that you thought we had no chance against. The team they had was so good they probably could have beaten us with nine men. Having said that, we kept them pretty quiet first half, but once they scored they were on their way. Leaburn scoring made them calm down a bit and the outcome was fairly respectable.
  • Options
    Time flies indeed.

I do recall being at another north west fixture the Saturday before Man United. Definitely not 10k of us at Bolton ! 
    As you say only a handful of us went up on the train the week before to Bolton.
  • Options
    Always had mixed feelings about this one. Sure, it was a day out etc, but when they did the draw Utd were the only ones that you thought we had no chance against. The team they had was so good they probably could have beaten us with nine men. Having said that, we kept them pretty quiet first half, but once they scored they were on their way. Leaburn scoring made them calm down a bit and the outcome was fairly respectable.
    Totally agree. Could have got Luton or Oldham. Was gutted to get Man United away. Think all the others were at least winnable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    30 years, yes indeed, life goes quick - went on supporters club coach for this match - have never gone by coach again - that was a loooong day - enjoyed the game though
    Went on a charter train, the only time I've ever gone to a game that way.
  • Options
    Went on a charter train, the only time I've ever gone to a game that way.
    The football specials trains in the 80’s were, errrrr, ‘interesting’……
  • Options
    Time flies indeed.

I was one of around 300 at the Bolton game the week previously, I hope the others got tickets for the United game. 
  • Options
    Time flies indeed.

I was one of around 300 at the Bolton game the week previously, I hope the others got tickets for the United game. 
    My pal didn't. He was at uni in Liverpool. He was at Bolton but frozen out of Old Trafford. 
  • Options
    A mate’s just sent me these. We hired a minibus for the day and stopped somewhere outside Manchester for a drink.