Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Substitutions

Might be worth using them before the 90th minute? Completely beyond me how Chris, despite doing excellently in most areas of management, is still sticking to his policy of no subs. I understand the reasoning behind it, but time and time again we've thrown away leads late on (Derby, Hudds, Sheff Wed, Brighton etc.) and obviously subs wouldn't have saved all of those, but may well have helped!

Was begging to see Dervite come one and play as a CDM and drop back in to 5 at the back, or even just Green on for Waggy/Wilson as he's been very effective when coming on late.

Anyway, rant over. Maybe some of you will agree?

Comments

• Why not try the post match thread?

Lots of people on there discussing the same point.
  • Sorry, thought it warranted it's own thread considering it's a issue that's covered the whole season, and the post-match thread is only for discussing today's game, at least that's what I had believed?
  • I agree, think CP will learn from today though.
  • I agree, think CP will learn from today though.

He has not previously

• edited January 2013

Why not try the post match thread?

Because many people believe that not only for this game but many others Chris has made some poor decisions on subs. I think this is a valid point.

Why do you get so wound up by what others want to say chill........

• "he aint got a clue"
  • I suppose he could have put 5 in midfield to sure it up against a team low on confidence. Oh well, on to the next one.
  • Kap10 said:

I agree, think CP will learn from today though.

He has not previously

Today is the first time the fans have got on his back notably. A lot of other times we have still not lost, especially against one of the worst teams in the division.

Because many people believe that not only for this game but many others Chris has made some poor decisions on subs. I think this is a valid point.

You're the only one getting wound up here, take some of your own advice.

Didn't notice any moaning about CPs subs in the last three league games. I wonder why that was?
  • I was a little surprised that we had 2 centre halves on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

Didn't notice any moaning about CPs subs in the last three league games. I wonder why that was?
    True, but the subs have cost us numerous times, obviously you wouldn't focus on them when they haven't been a problem. Also, I think today must be the first time we haven't made a single substitution until the 90th?

Because he made some?

Sorry you thick or something, I can assure you as I sip my large whisky I am as chilled as I could be, you just don't like other peoples opinion unless they agree with you.

You are so up your own arse it makes me laugh that's all.

• edited January 2013
    Think it was a bit silly of him to not make subs when they kept coming at us. And then he made it worse with the panic triple substitution in added time , what impact could they have had in 5 minutes? Plus it wasted some of the stoppage time.
  • Wasn't there a game earlier this season when he didn't make changes and he came out and accepted that it was a mistake or am I imagining it ?

Sir Henry says
  • Can't we just get along ??
  • nolly said:

Can't we just get along ??

Labi says yes.

• The little African preaches love
  • So disappointing,fuller would of ripped this poor sheff w team apart,was said at ht some very poor performances today including solly,wilson,jacko and stephens,waggy played ok for an hour but aint no left midfield/winger long term in this div.poorest performance today goes to chris powell and staff for failing to recognising how shit they were and how shit we were!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• No rant, Valley Fred;ny view entirely.
  • CP just doesn't get it. listening to his interview on Radio London the reporter asks about the subs (or lack of them) and CP says that there was no need (at 1-0) and at 1-1 they were contemplating it, but by the time they thought about it (5 mins or so) it went to 2-1 and game over.

He then went on to say that the 11 on the pitch were all "in a good place" and were all doing their jobs - so hence no need. But he misses the point that surely any 3 others that could come on could "do their job" and that fresh legs could make a difference, let alone a change in personnel (Harriott on and Waggy swapping wings) could disrupt the opposition !!!

sometimes I wonder what it takes to get a coaching badge !!!
  • se9addick said:

Wasn't there a game earlier this season when he didn't make changes and he came out and accepted that it was a mistake or am I imagining it ?

I think that may have been Hull although not sure he admitted it

• I believe he will learn but only by his mistakes.Unfortunately listening to the post match interview he doesnt think it was a mistake .
  • Coulda woulda shoulda.

SCP's approach has worked splendidly over the last season and a half. If he says no subs was our best shot at taking three points, I believe him.

Our beloved ex-boss Pards was booed by 30,000 plus Geordies for taking off Cabaye last week. Turned out Cabaye asked to be subbed cos of a tight hamstring. Personally, I like to think the guys with the coaching badges know better than us. Even Pardew.
  • I understand the reasoning behind it, but time and time again we've thrown away leads late on....

Wise woman once told me, "everything before the but is bulls***!"

• 10 mins to go and they're all sat on the bench keeping warm, they should have been up and down that line warming up!
  • The problem is, Wednesday's equaliser was a great cross but pure fluke - the ball went up and came down on Johnson's head, anywhere else and he wasn't going to score. WIthout that, we were going to see the game out and Powell would have been right.

I would have put Fuller on with 20 to go, I admit - but Powell is a cautious manager and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Had he made the subs at 1-0 up and we lost a goal - some would have said he should have stuck with things.
  • I'm pretty sure Powell realizes that he could of done with chucking on a few fresh players. I just don't think he trusted the players on the bench to a job keeping it tight.

When you are completely under siege from a powerful, direct and aggressive team, whilst defending a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes to go who do you propose we bring on? every senior midfield player we have was already on the pitch.

We weren't chasing the game until the last 5 or so minutes, so there was no need to make attacking substitutions (which was all we had available, unless we fancied changing the defense around).

Yes, we needed to introduce some fresh legs - but of the right kind. I've no doubt that if we had that type of player he would of been introduced.
  • I'm pretty sure Powell realizes that he could of done with chucking on a few fresh players. I just don't think he trusted the players on the bench to a job keeping it tight.

When you are completely under siege from a powerful, direct and aggressive team, whilst defending a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes to go who do you propose we bring on? every senior midfield player we have was already on the pitch.

We weren't chasing the game until the last 5 or so minutes, so there was no need to make attacking substitutions (which was all we had available, unless we fancied changing the defense around).

Yes, we needed to introduce some fresh legs - but of the right kind. I've no doubt that if we had that type of player he would of been introduced.

Well according to Powell he saw no need to make substitutions unlike most of us. Alternatively if as you say he did not trust the bench that he had chosen then that is a sad indictment of the squad he has put together. Whatever resources the club have or have not allowed him to have , like every league manager he needs to work with the players he has and that includes bench players to meet the needs if as many given situations.