Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One up front against a relegation outfit?

Comments

• Options
    I blame BDL for telling 20,292 people at half time that we had 100% record in the league in 2013!
  • Options
    I went to the Balckburn game and thought the 4-5-1 formation looked good. Granted we weren't pouring forward with wave after wave of attacks but more importantly we kept possession well and dominted the centre of midfield. As soon as the home fans started to groan any sidewards passing, the Blackburn players went more direct and played hopeless through balls straight to Hamer and the game was ours.

I liked the formation but the emphasis (quite rightly) was on defence and ball retention rather than attack. I think we should stick with it but at home maybe use the wide players more as an attacking threat (i.e. use either Harriot, Green or Haynes) and perhaps give one of the centre midfielders more of a licence to join and run past the centre forward (probably JJ or even play Kermy deeper) otherwise the CF does get isolated.

• Options

Baffling decision to go one up top against the worst team I've seen at The Valley this season.

Not really "baffling" though is it? Won the last 3 with this formation and lineup so he stuck with what was working. Absolutely mental isn't it?
    Well, it is baffling considering we often cave in at home (because we don't score enough goals), and considering our home record is appalling and Sheff Wed are shit, clearly I'm not the only one who was surprised. Next banal comment please.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @I_Saw_Semedo_Score .. here is my banal(ish) comment:
    This season we haven't yet managed to beat a Yorkshire team at the valley. And all except Hull (and M'Boro, old Yorky, now in the 'County' of Cleveland) are struggling. I've only seen two games at the valley this season and we were clueless in both. Away we look more determined and far better organised, especially 'on the break'. There are many theories as to why. I don't see enough home games to form a coherent idea why it is so.
    The thing is, it must be sorted sharpish, otherwise the good crowds evidenced by the 20,000+ for Sheffield Wednesday, will dwindle away.
  • Options

This season we haven't yet managed to beat a Yorkshire team at the valley. And all except Hull (and M'Boro, old Yorky, now in the 'County' of Cleveland) are struggling. I've only seen two games at the valley this season and we were clueless in both. Away we look more determined and far better organised, especially 'on the break'. There are many theories as to why. I don't see enough home games to form a coherent idea why it is so.
    The thing is, it must be sorted sharpish, otherwise the good crowds evidenced by the 20,000+ for Sheffield Wednesday, will dwindle away.

Haha no a fair observation mate. My point was that it has worked very well away from home because the onus is on the other team to attack us - so we counter attack.

However, this clearly hasn't worked at home - you've only got to look at our results at The Valley to realise this. So when we're 1-0 up at home to a crap Sheff Wed side, why not go for the jugular and finish them off? Or go at them from the start?

Playing one up front at home HAS NOT worked - the stats prove that. And when you play a lone striker against such poor opposition it not only gives them respect, it must also give them a mental lift too. You've only got to look at the Cardiff game -when Haynes and Hulse were playing up top - to see the value of two strikers.
  • Options

Haha no a fair observation mate. My point was that it has worked very well away from home because the onus is on the other team to attack us - so we counter attack.

However, this clearly hasn't worked at home - you've only got to look at our results at The Valley to realise this. So when we're 1-0 up at home to a crap Sheff Wed side, why not go for the jugular and finish them off? Or go at them from the start?

Playing one up front at home HAS NOT worked - the stats prove that. And when you play a lone striker against such poor opposition it not only gives them respect, it must also give them a mental lift too. You've only got to look at the Cardiff game -when Haynes and Hulse were playing up top - to see the value of two strikers.
    I think it's pretty clear that
    a) SCP only wants to play 2 up top if one of them is Haynes, and
    b) 4 in midfield doesn't work with our current squad. Overrun in every game.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

I think it's also pretty clear that 4-5-1 doesn't work on our own ground. On our home form alone we'd be fighting relegation - why is this?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Rizzo said:

I think it's also pretty clear that 4-5-1 doesn't work on our own ground. On our home form alone we'd be fighting relegation - why is this?
    Of the home games we've lost, how many have been 4-5-1?

• Options

Baffling decision to go one up top against the worst team I've seen at The Valley this season.

Not really "baffling" though is it? Won the last 3 with this formation and lineup so he stuck with what was working. Absolutely mental isn't it?

We played 4-4-2 away to Watford. Strange thing is Fuller probably had his best game for us that day and has not had a look in since. Not even trusted to come of the bench for 15 minutes for a tired Yann.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

We played 4-4-2 away to Watford. Strange thing is Fuller probably had his best game for us that day and has not had a look in since. Not even trusted to come of the bench for 15 minutes for a tired Yann.
    The pitch might have had something to do with that. His dodgy hamstrings are risky coming off the bench at the best of times, let alone on a pitch that is heavy and cut up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Unsurprisingly I don't have those stats to hand but can list at least four occasions where we've thrown away points from winning positions because we've sat back and not attacked.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Unsurprisingly I don't have those stats to hand but can list at least four occasions where we've thrown away points from winning positions because we've sat back and not attacked.
    I'm sure someone will know. The point I'm trying to make though is that SCP switched to 4-5-1 because we were terrible at home, and results picked up. It's all very well saying that 4-5-1 doesn't work but 4-4-2 didn't either and was arguably worse.

• Options

Teams are starting to play that way though, I think it's more to do with combating away counter attacks with pace, we've been playing it at home too, fans don't like it but it can be effective, sometimes the 442 just doesn't work and the midfield needs to be 'busy' in order to combat the counter threat, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

By the way, I've noticed you keep calling us shit etc and that your he form is poor that's why you lost, can I just remind you we've beaten you at Hillsborough comfortably and how we've done you on your own manor.

We've had a bad start but we seem to be turning the corner at just the right time.
  • Options
    P.s What was Semedo and Lleras reception like from your fans?
  • Options

P.s What was Semedo and Lleras reception like from your fans?

Semedo came in on with about a minute left so no real time to tell really, he might have got a little clap when the teams were read out though.

Llera got booed and was by far the worst player on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Teams are starting to play that way though, I think it's more to do with combating away counter attacks with pace, we've been playing it at home too, fans don't like it but it can be effective, sometimes the 442 just doesn't work and the midfield needs to be 'busy' in order to combat the counter threat, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

By the way, I've noticed you keep calling us shit etc and that your he form is poor that's why you lost, can I just remind you we've beaten you at Hillsborough comfortably and how we've done you on your own manor.

We've had a bad start but we seem to be turning the corner at just the right time.
    Mate, your team is shit, we lost the game rather than your lot won it!
    Not sour grapes just the way it went. But I said before the game that I would rather lose to you and beat The Nigels next week than the other way round. Wednesday was just another game to me, so I didn't get too upset about losing, only in the way we threw it away.
  • Options

I call you shit, simpleton, because I think you're a shit team. Really easy when you think about it.

I didn't say we were good, but I'd like to think we have enough about us to edge out the poorer teams (like you, Barnsley, Peterborough) in this division. We're a mid-table team and I think that's where we'll finish. You'll be fighting relegation, and have been down the bottom for most of the season for a reason.

Yes you've taken six points off us, but Barnsley also turned up to The Valley and turned us over. Does that mean anything? Not in my eyes.

Until you're higher than us in the league, you're a worse team than us. It's how football has always worked. Incidentally, it's also how it worked last year when there was an almighty gulf between us and you.

I hope that encapsulates my feelings about both us and you.

I would ask why you probably contribute more to this site than most posters on here, but ultimately, I've already decided why that might be. You're probably a bit of a sad case, aren't you?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Not sour grapes just the way it went.
    You sure it's not sour grapes mate? but thank you for giving us the win just because you wanted to, oh and thanks for not turning up at Hillsborough too - give me strength!
  • Options
    Mr pig, for the last time.
    Sheff W played the worst football I've seen all season. It was simply hoofed into the air most of the time.
    I can understand the tactics, because you are a big & strong side, so you play to your strengths.
    As for your football ability, Antonio apart, who looks good & perhaps Johnson, you were extremely poor.
    This was epitomised by one of your shots that went so far over the bar, it actually went over the away stand.
    I promise you, since that stand was built in the 1970's, that has never happened before (as I recall).
    We should have won by 3, but didn't take our chances.
    We were poor & you were worse, but you "did us" with another hoof into the box, which was always likely.
    You stole the match. Good luck to you. We've all done it.
    Your tactics may get you results & that's the bottom line, but you were the worst footballing side we've faced this season. Honest !
  • Options

I call you shit, simpleton, because I think you're a shit team. Really easy when you think about it.

I didn't say we were good, but I'd like to think we have enough about us to edge out the poorer teams (like you, Barnsley, Peterborough) in this division. We're a mid-table team and I think that's where we'll finish. You'll be fighting relegation, and have been down the bottom for most of the season for a reason.

Yes you've taken six points off us, but Barnsley also turned up to The Valley and turned us over. Does that mean anything? Not in my eyes.

Until you're higher than us in the league, you're a worse team than us. It's how football has always worked. Incidentally, it's also how it worked last year when there was an almighty gulf between us and you.

I would ask why you probably contribute more to this site than most posters on here, but ultimately, I've already decided why that might be. You're probably a bit of a sad case, aren't you?
    Yes but this simpleton remembers how you lot were fearing relegation before your winning three match run, you could easily go on another bad run and get back to the same position you were in before, I'd say anyone can go down at the moment from Bristol at the bottom up to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Greenie said:

Not sour grapes just the way it went. But I said before the game that I would rather lose to you and beat The Nigels next week than the other way round. Wednesday was just another game to me, so I didn't get too upset about losing, only in the way we threw it away.
    Correct, Greenie. Who cares about them? Us criticising them = us being obsessed with them. So in a way, we're fuelling the fire. But oh well, it's our forum.

Yes but this simpleton remembers how you lot were fearing relegation before your winning three match run, you could easily go on another bad run and get back to the same position you were in before, I'd say anyone can go down at the moment from Bristol at the bottom up to you.
    If we go down - or indeed if you finish above us - I'll get the word "massive" tattooed on to my arse with the word "twat" in brackets just after it. And I hate ink.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd agree. There's not much difference between about 7th & 22nd. The teams are very equal.
    Peterboro played some excellent football at The Valley, one of the better teams, except they had nothing up front & didn't know what to do, when they got to the penalty box.
  • Options

Greenie said:

You sure it's not sour grapes mate? but thank you for giving us the win just because you wanted to, oh and thanks for not turning up at Hillsborough too - give me strength!
    Didn't say that did I. I thought my post was well thought out and easy to understand. We made no subs and were knackered, managers error, but how would you know, I understand that you wernt even at the game, your winner was a deflected fluke.
    RE give me strength - I've cut you some slack and been polite to you since you started posting on here, but I'm bored with you now, you had your cup final on Saturday (well the real SW supporters did) so run along sonny and enjoy your relegation battle from behind your keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I agree with this. I suppose the answer is to play the same tactics @ home as away, as it seems our players are not good/versatile enough to switch from defence mode to attack. This is not satisfactory however as most spectators want to see their side attack at home. As you say, v SW (I was not there) it seems the side scored once and then went into a collective foxhole even when the crowd was baying for more goals. To my mind, a point at home from a boring performance is better than nil points and frustrated and angry fans who saw a lead lost in the last knockings. BUT, I don't pay to watch much at the Valley. I am happy with what I've seen at away games, not so much in terms of performance (I sadly missed the Watford game), but in terms of results.
    It's the old conflict between grinding out results and losing while providing good entertainment.
  • Options

Sheff W played the worst football I've seen all season. It was simply hoofed into the air most of the time.
    I can understand the tactics, because you are a big & strong side, so you play to your strengths.
    As for your football ability, Antonio apart, who looks good & perhaps Johnson, you were extremely poor.
    This was epitomised by one of your shots that went so far over the bar, it actually went over the away stand.
    I promise you, since that stand was built in the 1970's, that has never happened before (as I recall).
    We were poor & you were worse, but you "did us" with another hoof into the box, which was always likely.
    Your tactics may get you results & that's the bottom line, but you were the worst footballing side we've faced this season. Honest !

And like I've said numerous times, when your down there you have to win ugly, but it's not like we were pinned back all the time, i'd say we were the ones asking the most questions and both Sky/BBC stats will back that one up, you are probably the easiest win this year from our point of view, and the guy you singled out for us who had a good was the one who kicked it over your stand.

We've now win you twice in 6 weeks yet some are still saying we were 'lucky', hardly, we are a team on the up mate, one defeat in 8 proves it, top of the form table.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Didn't say that did I. I thought my post was well thought out and easy to understand. We made no subs and were knackered, managers error, but how would you know, I understand that you wernt even at the game, your winner was a deflected fluke.
    RE give me strength - I've cut you some slack and been polite to you since you started posting on here, but I'm bored with you now, you had your cup final on Saturday (well the real SW supporters did) so run along sonny and enjoy your relegation battle from behind your keyboard.
    The real supporters? well you must only have 300 then eh? and if you think it's okay to slag a team and not get any comeback then carry on mate because you sound more bitter with every post pal.

• Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

The real supporters? well you must only have 300 then eh? and if you think it's okay to slag a team and not get any comeback then carry on mate because you sound more bitter with every post pal.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. You're a cure for insomnia.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Saying it as it was...pal. You were shit, we made shit tactical decisions, it was a shit game! Brutal honesty not 'slagging' or bitter, you won, on balance a draw would have been a fair result. Like I said I couldn't care less about SW, they are another 'nothing' team from the back of beyond. Lets see where we all finish the league in May.
  • Options
    Still think Wednesday fans will be baying for Dave Jones to be sacked before the end of the season, you can't play Basketball players in a Football team and get away with it for a whole season.
  • Options

We've now win you twice in 6 weeks yet some are still saying we were 'lucky', hardly, we are a team on the up mate, one defeat in 8 proves it, top of the form table.

My 5 year old Chinese students understand the word beaten, education in Sheffield must be pretty bad.