Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beaulieu

Went there today for the first time.
(Motor museum in case you are not aware).
Very interesting time had - and very much recommended to all you Petrol Heads out there. If you are a member of the AA (nothing to do with Alcohol) - take your membership card with you and you will get 20 per cent off.
A couple of Charlton related things...
a) Garmin has a booth with the history of maps and gps etc - the very first map is the very first Ordnance survey map of the route from London to Dover - and very evident is Charleton, next to Blackeheath.
b) Also, they have within the Motor Museum am old pre Rouemaster bus (where you stepped off at the back) - which was the 51 from Plumstead Common to Orpington - however the final destination on the front was oddly London Bridge- my son thought i was taking the p when i said i would have been on that very bus many times ! However I wouldnt have ended up at London Bridge. !

An interesting day.

Comments

• Went there as a kid but never been back since. They still got that monorail thing? I remember it seeming space age back then!

• Yes, still got the monorail from nowhere to nowhere within the grounds.
  • edited January 2013
    I used to travel to work in Woolwich in the early 70s on that very same old 51 bus.

I'm sure it used to go from Woolwich to Farnborough or Green Street Green.
  • Do they still have the old car you can drive around in without R&P/Power steering?
    Got a polaroid of me driving it somewhere.
  • Would be an old RT....I lived on that bus route, Edison Road Welling so no doubt would have been on that bus too.

The number on the bonnet would give an approximate date of manufacture RT1 being the first,albeit when the buses went in for refurbs there was no guarantee that a chassis would leave the depot with the body that arrived on it...same with the RM's

Would have been garaged at Sidcup and Plumstead from memory. They first hit the road in limited numbers in 1939/40/41 about 150 or so made......they resumed making them after WW2 so most were made between 1947 and 1954...of the various types RT;s RTL's RTW's ( RTW's Leylands as opposed to AEC with a wider body) they made over 6000...not all were used by London Transport, they were pretty comon up in Scotland. Last ones were phased out 78/79 to be replaced by The Daimlers. Plenty survive around the world albeit they arent as famous as the Routemaster.....

Bus spotters too us Addicks....
  • I took a picture of it - i'll post it on here tonight when i get home.
  • Went there last year, throughly good day out. Several of the James Bond cars used in the films there as well as a Top Gear section with all the cars / caravans they've turned into boats, aeroplanes etc.
  • Haven't been there for years , would love to go there again , glad you enjoyed it.
  • Good museum and I remember seeing the 51 bus too, was a bit of a highlight that
  • Unfortunately that RT didn't work on the 51!

Doubt you had the falconry display? That was truly spectacular, especially when an Eagle Owl decides he wants to skim your head!

Well worth a day out and very good value!
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember that place as a real wonderland as a kid with that monorail especially.

However re other comments, is this a candidate for a 'members only' thread? We don't need the stereotypes strengthened any more!!!
  • took my little man to brooklands before xmas had a great time there would reconmend it hes 4 and obssed with cars planes amd bikes.
  • TEL said:

Would be an old RT....I lived on that bus route, Edison Road Welling so no doubt would have been on that bus too.

The number on the bonnet would give an approximate date of manufacture RT1 being the first,albeit when the buses went in for refurbs there was no guarantee that a chassis would leave the depot with the body that arrived on it...same with the RM's

Would have been garaged at Sidcup and Plumstead from memory. They first hit the road in limited numbers in 1939/40/41 about 150 or so made......they resumed making them after WW2 so most were made between 1947 and 1954...of the various types RT;s RTL's RTW's ( RTW's Leylands as opposed to AEC with a wider body) they made over 6000...not all were used by London Transport, they were pretty comon up in Scotland. Last ones were phased out 78/79 to be replaced by The Daimlers. Plenty survive around the world albei wt they arent as famous as the Routemaster.....

This has bought back many happy memories number 75s parked near the ferry 122 Woolwich to bexleyheath 83 84 & 75 at the top of victoria way and that dark night in july 1952 ? when my mum took me to the Woolwich rd to see the last tram go by---yes I know I am fu--king sad
  • May be wrong with bus numbers could be 53 & 54 not 83 & 84 it was a long time a go.
  • They were phased out in 1979. I was there on the last day at Barking. ... Route 62.
    When I was a nipper I was a member of a bus club and we owned rt4421 and rt1320, which I used to help restore. Also had 3 rf, which were phased out around 1980, last route being 218 and 219, Kingston garage.

Bus spotting as well as train spotters. We are not helping our reputation...
  • Might be wise to make this thread members only!
  • Might be wise to make this thread members only!

Sadly the secret is out already. LOL
  • Remember getting the 51 when I first started work and lived in sidcup in the mornings they had a couple that carried on to Charlton! So I didn't have change.and that's how I became to support Charlton because of that bus! One morning fell asleep missed my dockyard stop and ended up at charlton got off and there was the valley!
    We were reunited again as my dad used to take me about 4/5 years prior to that.
    That bus driver has a lot to answer for not waking me up!
  • The 192 was the worst bus in the entire world!
  • God, yes, the 192 - absolute pants ! How it used to get up Eglinton Hill i never knew.
  • Sponsored links:

• I took a picture of it - i'll post it on here tonight when i get home.

You not been home yet?

• Rt1808 at beaulieu. Isn't she gorgeous.

Love it almost as much as the RM....(almost)

:)

I would
  • edited January 2013
    Whatever RM you got on there was always someone sitting on the luxurious back seat on the upper deck. The one with the arm rest. Very frustrating.
  • Perhaps this should be a wouldya thread...
  • I can remember a real foggy afternoon in 1957 (the day of the Lewisham train crash) visibility was so bad we had to walk beside a number 75 RT all the way from the top of sherrington rd to marlborough lane Charlton.
  • TEL said:

Would be an old RT....I lived on that bus route, Edison Road Welling so no doubt would have been on that bus too.

Would have been garaged at Sidcup and Plumstead from memory. They first hit the road in limited numbers in 1939/40/41 about 150 or so made......they resumed making them after WW2 so most were made between 1947 and 1954...of the various types RT;s RTL's RTW's ( RTW's Leylands as opposed to AEC with a wider body) they made over 6000...not all were used by London Transport, they were pretty comon up in Scotland. Last ones were phased out 78/79 to be replaced by The Daimlers. Plenty survive around the world albei wt they arent as famous as the Routemaster.....

This has bought back many happy memories number 75s parked near the ferry 122 Woolwich to bexleyheath 83 84 & 75 at the top of victoria way and that dark night in july 1952 ? when my mum took me to the Woolwich rd to see the last tram go by---yes I know I am fu--king sad
    You need to talk to March51.

;o)
  • edited January 2013
    Normally went with my Dad to matches when I was a kid - but went with a mate once late 60's, remember getting the 89 from Welling to the Fox under the hill stop.

The old bus started to wheeze a bit half way up Shooters Hill, getting slower and slower as it crawled up to the summit - then everybody on the top deck gave a big cheer, as the bus suddenly lurched over the top and started freewheeling down the other side.

Those were the days!
  • Back to the old 51 bus in the early 70s ....... I remember seeing a plaque inside one of the buses, commemorating that this particular bus had travelled all over Europe in 1951.

What was that all about?