Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    some great pics there
  • Options
    Cracking picture of the Valley there and if you enlarge it , to the left of the near post about 5 down you can see Brunello
  • Options
    There's a few good would ya's in the picture of the Colchester fans.
  • Options
    Great shot of the Clock End at Highbury.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Shag said:

Cracking picture of the Valley there and if you enlarge it , to the left of the near post about 5 down you can see Brunello

How droll.

It's my twin Brother actually

• Options
    If that caption is correct, that Charlton v Blackburn game is the one we lost 4-3 when a draw would have got us promoted.

Great photo.
  • Options
    I think you can sum up the difference between those scenes and what we have today in just two words... Helath & Safety!
  • Options
    How there weren't more "Hillsboroughs" I don't know.

Also, would love to see the stewards deal with so many fans up a floodlight now! Sidddaaaaarrrnnnn.
  • Options
    how early did people need to get to the ground to get to the front in those days?
  • Options
    I love the one of all the Arsenal fans standing on the steam train at Kings Cross. Standing on the front of a train!! Could you imagine that today? Booze, fags, cigars and Stan Laurel in his PJ's. Wonderful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant pictures - thanks for posting
  • Options
    Hewie, Ufton, Kiernan, Duff and either Fred Lucas or Sam Lawrie?? and 56,000 others I can't name.
  • Options
    Not sure the Sheffield United fan at the 1936 cup final would be allowed in with that sword in his hand nowadays.
  • Options
    Jacket and tie for the big day at Wembley in 1960.
  • Options
    That picture of the Kop is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Great stuff there. Why the penchant for huge bow ties and exagerrated watch chains in the mid thirties I wonder?

The comment on the Stretford End photo about the youngsters is interesting, and I think it is not entirely correct IMHO. Although cost is a factor, seats have meant the kids are spread around the ground rather than congregating at the front, and paranoia means that younger kids no longer go on their own as they once did.

Only one vomitorium in the whole section of clock end in the shot? Must have been about half past eight by the time the last supporters got out of the ground... :-).
    (Yes, I do know there was an exit at the corner)
  • Options
    The only time a ever been to the Den. My Dad an Arsenal fan wanted to see Newcastle, we queued up for the whole of a resvere game a couple of saturdays before. I think that must be their biggest attendace at a reserve game.
  • Options
    Wonderful pictures. Everyone looks so much happier than they do today.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed looking at every single one of those pictures!

Thanks for posting, Riviera.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hewie, Ufton, Kiernan, Duff and either Fred Lucas or Sam Lawrie?? and 56,000 others I can't name.

Good call peanuts if the last man is not fred it could be peter firmani as l don't think sam lawrie played in this game.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Really enjoyed looking at every single one of those pictures!

Thanks for posting, Riviera.

You were in most of them
  • Options
    Ha ha ....Mehmet, you Muppet!

;o)
  • Options

It's Freddie Lucas.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ha ha ....Mehmet, you Muppet!

;o)

Sorry R, couldn't resist it!
  • Options
    Great pics. Thanks for posting.
  • Options

Good call peanuts if the last man is not fred it could be peter firmani as l don't think sam lawrie played in this game.
    Looks like Lucas to me, not Lawrie.

• Options
    That makes me feel old! I'm somewhere in two of those. On the East Terrace on that dreadful day against Blackburn. Then at the 1960 Cup Final, Blackburn again. That looks like the Blackburn end where I was. They lost 3-0. Didn't make up for 1958 though!
  • Options

That makes me feel old! I'm somewhere in two of those. On the East Terrace on that dreadful day against Blackburn. Then at the 1960 Cup Final, Blackburn again. That looks like the Blackburn end where I was. They lost 3-0. Didn't make up for 1958 though!

Were you wearing your collar and tie at Wembley? :-)
  • Options
    I was thirteen in 1960, so it could have been the old school uniform with a tie. I very much doubt it though! :-)