Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'non-celebration' when scoring against your old club...

.....am I alone in getting really pissed off about this now?

Yesterday we had Daniel Sturridge scoring a critical equaliser for Liverpool at Man City, it was a terrific goal from distance and one which he must have been overjoyed with and what was his response? He stood there, arms down in the 'I can't celebrate against my old team' bullshit, WTF is all that about?

If someone plays 200 games somewhere and becomes a club legend then scores against that club (like Beckham against Man United for example) then I can see the logic but FFS Sturridge played a grand total of 21 games for Man City and left there four years ago - since when they have become one of the biggest clubs in the world without him, so what's the no celebrating all about?

I remember being pissed of when Hasselbaink refused to celebrate when he scored for us at Stamford Bridge in 2006, for my money once you are wearing a clubs shirt then you should be 100% committed to the cause, not worrying about how a rival teams fans are going to feel if you score against them.

God, I feel better now!

Comments

• Options
    It's a respect thing and I like it.
    Am I right in thinking Sturridge came through city's academy?

I'd be mightly p*ssed off if Shelvey scored against us and celebrated
  • Options
    Had to re-read the "Hasselbaink refused to celebrate when he scored." I was alright till I got to the "when he scored" bit, then I kept coming over all funny. Useless, fat wanker he was for us. Still bitter now. Can you tell?

Oh okay.
  • Options

I think he's now played more games for Liverpool than he played for us. He can celebrate how he wants.

• Options

No, Sturridge played his first senior games at City but they stole him from Coventry's youth academy in the same way Spuds nicked Defoe from us.

As for Shelvey, it would not bother me one bit if he celebrated against us, he's a West Ham fan and with all respect to the player is not exactly a CAFC legend anyway, he barely played a full season at the club.
  • Options
    There's respectful and disrespectful ways of celebrating scoring against your former club. If Shelvey celebrated with team mates and either held a hand up or didn't even acknowledge us I'd be fine with it. When Defoe scores he smugly celebrates in front of our fans and that's the difference.
  • Options
    One more thought on this, older members will remember Jimmy Melrose scoring for Charlton in the 3-0 Easter Monday win over Aston Villa in March 1987.

Villa were managed by Billy McNeill (AKA Big Caesar) who had bombed Melrose out of both Celtic AND Manchester City, telling him he wasn't good enough for top-level football.

After Melrose scored a cracking goal he ran right across the pitch and got within about 10 yards of McNeil and gave him an absolute gobful.

Villa were relegated, McNeill got sacked and we stayed up!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No problem if a player decides to tone it down in a show of respect, think I saw Sturridge having a little punch fist shake after his goal
    Hasslewank showed the sort of respect I'd like all those who left us to do
    I know when Parker scored that screamer, for the Toon I think , I'd have preferred a more muted celebration
    But I can understand it either way , a personal choice for a player really and I'm sure it depends on how they got on/left a club/or what abuse they are getting
    And when one of ours scores for us I'm more interested in celebrating with who's nearby than studying too much of our players reaction
  • Options

No problem if a player decides to tone it down in a show of respect, think I saw Sturridge having a little punch fist shake after his goal
    I know when Parker scored that screamer, for the Toon I think , I'd have preferred a more muted celebration
    But I can understand it either way , a personal choice for a player really and I'm sure it depends on how they got on/left a club/or what abuse they are getting
    And when one of ours scores for us I'm more interested in celebrating with who's nearby than studying too much of our players reaction

Agree.

Thought JFH showed some class when not over celebrating his goal for us v Chelsea. He'd done his job by scoring so the lack of ott celebration on his part did us no harm.
  • Options
    He was probably a bit knackered after carrying that weight around to be able to celebrate.
  • Options

Agree.

Thought JFH showed some class when not over celebrating his goal for us v Chelsea. He'd done his job by scoring so the lack of ott celebration on his part did us no harm.
    See, this is where I have a problem with this.

I am not asking for the player to do an 'Adebayor' but it doesn't sit right with me that a player is being paid 15K per week (as JFH probably was or thereabouts) to play for us and then when he scores his first goal for the club is more concerned about 'offending' his old team than he is in showing his new team mates and fans that he is thrilled to score for THEM.

At the time the JFH thing happened I was not too bothered as I was a bit 'starstruck' given his reputation and, fair enough, he probably does qualify as a Chelsea 'legend' but when I think about it it actually does stick in my craw that he was more interested in preserving his status with Chelsea fans than showing Charlton fans that he was busting his gut for THEIR team now.

Same thing goes for Sturridge (who did the same thing when he scored for Chelsea against Bolton), if I were a Liverpool fan watching that after my club had given him a lifeline and paid 12 million quid for him, I'd be thinking, "Why is he so worried about offending Man City fans? He should be going mental after scoring a goal like that!"

If I remember rightly, in the most controversial transfer of all Mo Johnston did not hold back on celebrating when he scored for Rangers against Celtic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daniel Sturridge had his best game for Liverpool yesterday and some even reckoned his best ever game , thats what matters not whether he was body popping or cutting some shapes on the pitch to celebrate a goal
    I think fat jimmy scored his only other goal against Boro so prolly didn't celebrate that either
    of course we'd all love em to be kissing the badge and weeping like it meant the world to them but it means a hell of a lot to some and not so much to others
    a bit like us fans ....some would show their passion and distraughtness at losing to a local rival by smashing a seat , some waterpipes or damaging some cars and some would just go home having a tourettes fit inside their head !
  • Options
    The non celebration was a thing that I first saw in Serie A (well actually the very first time was the famous Denis Law thing), when a player who'd typically been years at a team kept his head down after scoring for his old team. It's now become a badge-kissing exercise to appease the easily impressed. The likes of Wright-Phillips isn't particularly associated with Chelsea, Sturridge was never a stalwart at City. There's a level of celebration that isn't dancing about in front of your former team's fans, but isn't a crubge worthy attempt at ingratiation.
  • Options
    Agree with Ormiston, it's getting over the top. Club legends fine, say if Lampard did sign for someone else next year then scored against Chelsea.

Players should be happy to score - Parker's celebration mentioned above was fine to me because he sought out his own fans rather than jump around in front of the Covered End.

Celebrate with your own team, don't rub it in, but generally the Denis Law "I'm not celebrating while United are relegated" look is OTT.
  • Options
    Didn't he leave City because they weren't going to match his 60k a week evaluation of himself, even after only playing 20 games.

Think it's a bit late to start 'respecting' the club now.
  • Options
    The problem I have with Hasselbaink is that, as far as I recall, he scored four goals in total for us, didn't celebrate either league goal against former clubs, and didn't celebrate either goal at Chesterfield because they were only what was expected, and got us out of a rather embarrassing hole. To me that's not respect, that's not giving a shit about Charlton Athletic.
  • Options

Agree with Ormiston, it's getting over the top. Club legends fine, say if Lampard did sign for someone else next year then scored against Chelsea.

Players should be happy to score - Parker's celebration mentioned above was fine to me because he sought out his own fans rather than jump around in front of the Covered End.

Celebrate with your own team, don't rub it in, but generally the Denis Law "I'm not celebrating while United are relegated" look is OTT.

I agree with what Denis Law did, as he is clearly a United Legend, and everyone knew he did what he had to do (i.e. score) but that the consequences of what he did would be killing him inside.

Imagine a Johnny Robinson or Steve Brown scoring against us in the last minute to send us down, I would expect a similar reaction.
  • Options
    isn't disrespectful to your current fans who are celebrating and want you to celebrate with you? They are the one's currently paying your wages after all. I'd say celebrate but don't go mad over it.
  • Options
    Its easy for supporters who haven't worked for the club to say what should and shouldn't have been done. Leave it up to the players FFS, they've scored you a goal - be happy about it.
  • Options
    Danny Murphy didnt celebrate his goal against Liverpool.

And I dont think Graham Stuart celebrated when he scored at Goodison either.
  • Options

The problem I have with Hasselbaink is that, as far as I recall, he scored four goals in total for us, didn't celebrate either league goal against former clubs, and didn't celebrate either goal at Chesterfield because they were only what was expected, and got us out of a rather embarrassing hole. To me that's not respect, that's not giving a shit about Charlton Athletic.

That's the exact impression I got, its like he thought he was doing us a favour by taking our money off us and didn't want to offend his mates at Chelsea, its like he was embarrassed that he had scored for us.

Of course, in an extreme case like a former player sending his old team down a la Law in 1975 then a bit of tact is required as you don't want to start a riot but that is very, very rare.

When Parker scored against us and went mental in that 3-1 game I could not have cared less, to me he was a great player for us but treated us with contempt so he meant nothing to me whatsoever.

With Mark Kinsella, when I heard he had celebrated beating us with Villa up there I did not mind at all, we had sold the bloke and replaced him with Parker so could have no complaints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree with what Denis Law did, as he is clearly a United Legend, and everyone knew he did what he had to do (i.e. score) but that the consequences of what he did would be killing him inside.

Imagine a Johnny Robinson or Steve Brown scoring against us in the last minute to send us down, I would expect a similar reaction.
    He didn't send them down, that's a myth - they were going down anyway.

I think that's the point though, Law was a club legend, United were going down, it was a great gesture, and in cases like that I agree with it. It's overused now though.
  • Options
    Isn't it funny how so many fickle Football fans come out with things like "Footballers never think about the supporters, they need to show us more respect!"

• Options
    If he didn't kiss the badge then it can't be that bad.
  • Options

The non celebration was a thing that I first saw in Serie A (well actually the very first time was the famous Denis Law thing), when a player who'd typically been years at a team kept his head down after scoring for his old team. It's now become a badge-kissing exercise to appease the easily impressed. The likes of Wright-Phillips isn't particularly associated with Chelsea, Sturridge was never a stalwart at City. There's a level of celebration that isn't dancing about in front of your former team's fans, but isn't a crubge worthy attempt at ingratiation.

Probably because he never played for or against them.
  • Options
    It's so contrived and OTT at the moment - especially the way players almost milk it by putting their arms up in apology.
  • Options
    its up to each player. If an ex player did not celebrate against us i would be quite pleased.
  • Options
    Funny thing is Sturridge did not celebrate out of respect to City Fans ...but when he was subsituted he left to a chorus of " only one greedy barstard "
  • Options
    Again, you're all looking at it from a fan's point of view. None of you experience the same feelings that the goalscorer does, so who are you to judge?

That player may still have a lot of time for the coaching staff, the tea lady, the friends of theirs who are supporters, whatever it might be.

Get off your high horses.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Again, you're all looking at it from a fan's point of view. None of you experience the same feelings that the goalscorer does, so who are you to judge?

We are the people paying their wages Tom, that's why we can judge old son. If they don't like it, they can always become a milkman...