Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard III - Hero or Villain?

Comments

• Options
    True. Richard was well up for it but Henry Tudor was too busy smashing up outside toilets and breaking the mirrors off carts
  • Options

True. Richard was well up for it but Henry Tudor was too busy smashing up outside toilets and breaking the mirrors off carts

Exactly and where was Plod when this was going on? Ill tell you, about 300 years behind.
    I blame the rozzers.
  • Options

It's by no means certain that he did kill his nephews. There were others who stood to gain from their deaths (such as Henry Tudor) and in any case, it's not know for sure that they were even murdered at all. They disappeared but their bodies were never found.

There were several others who had a motive and stood to benefit from their deaths but its notable that they were in his "safe" custody at the time that they were last seen (the summer of 1483). The bodyguard that was taking Edward V to London was intercepted by Richard at Northampton and the leaders/Edward's guardians were taken to Richard's castle at Pontefract and were quietly executed not long afterwards.

Was Richard guilty of murder? I think so, but this was the nature of dynastic royal politics - look at the numbers of kings/queens who were offed in the Wars of the Roses and even before and it happened afterwards as well.

As for the hunchback, the C4 programme should be interesting. There is some evidence that a portrait of Richard III was altered after his death, but it was well known that he had some kind of deformity. Perhaps it was the original painting that was faked - to make Richard look normal and the Tudors merely corrected it?

• Options

...And editing history?

• Options
    Why was he buried in a car park when they didn't have cars? Very puzzling:-)
  • Options
    He was driving a hunch back.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    He's already immortal - rhyming slang for turd

e.g. "I left a huge King Richard in the pan"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Peter Odemwingie considers him a hero, wishes he was in a car park for that long.
  • Options
    Well they're certainly dragging out this programme on channel 4.
  • Options
    The woman in that documentary reminded me of one of those bints who go off to America to marry a death-row inmate. She wasn't all there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The severe Eastern European he interviewed on the webcam (not the first time someone's done that) was q barrel of laughs too.

"HE WAS NOT A HUNCHBACK!"
    "The skeleton suggests l he might of been, a bit...."
    "NO."
    "Do you think he killed the princes?"
    "NO!"
    "He had evert reason to though, didn't he?"
    "NO!!"
  • Options
    He didnt murder his nephews but merely shipped them off to boarding school. Get your history right folks!
  • Options
    Who was that girl who kept crying - I couldn't work out why she was so involved and took it so personally.

Bit of a shame that the archaeolgist put the pick through the skull though !
  • Options
    Who was that girl who kept crying - I couldn't work out why she was so involved and took it so personally.

Why she took it so personally was a bit curious - it seems that she's a leading light in the Richard III fan club:

http://www.richardiii.net/index.php

• Options
    All he did was to let a flare off at a football match and he ends up under a car park. You have been warned!
  • Options

It's by no means certain that he did kill his nephews. There were others who stood to gain from their deaths (such as Henry Tudor) and in any case, it's not know for sure that they were even murdered at all. They disappeared but their bodies were never found.

While his culpability in relation to the deaths of the princes may be debatable it is beyond doubt that he is responsible for millions in unpaid parking fines.

• Options
    Supposedly was burried under the parking spot designated with an "R".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClEmwsIQUas
  • Options
    Am I the only one here who thinks this is all one great big hoax? Having watched the programme last night, I found it all so unbelieveable that I was waiting for Ricky Gervais to pop out and announce 'April Fool' or that it was an Office/Derek documentary spoof. It was all very, very odd!
  • Options
    ...........they dug a random, speculative hole in a Leicester car park under the letter 'R', found one set of bones which just happened to be King Richard 3rd. Too ludicrous for words. Those people should definitely buy a lottery ticket tonight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Am I the only one here who thinks this is all one great big hoax? Having watched the programme last night, I found it all so unbelieveable that I was waiting for Ricky Gervais to pop out and announce 'April Fool' or that it was an Office/Derek documentary spoof. It was all very, very odd!

No, Victor.
  • Options
    There was no doubt the main Doris was a sandwich short of a picnic. It didn't help that the presenter come funny man was a bit odd as well,

Should of got Ant n Dec to do it...OR even better Philip Schofield! (reaches for loaded gun,,,)
  • Options
    Most important historical find in Great Britain since the discovery of the Napoleonic Brandy cave under the East Stand.
  • Options
    she was defo weird.
    The guy doing all the talking didnt know if he should make it funny or serious.

• Options
    It was her obsession and she brought the emotion associated with obsession to the dig. No place for tears or obsession in scientific work.
  • Options

she was defo weird.
    The guy doing all the talking didnt know if he should make it funny or serious.

I couldn't stop singing "Stupid deaths, Stupid deaths" every time he came on.

Was a very interesting programme even if the RIII society woman was a bit OTT.
  • Options

There was no doubt the main Doris was a sandwich short of a picnic. It didn't help that the presenter come funny man was a bit odd as well,

Should of got Ant n Dec to do it...OR even better Philip Schofield! (reaches for loaded gun,,,)

Don't diss the Scho
  • Options
    Just finished watching the documentary on 4od. Thought it was really enjoyable to watch. Obviously she is a loon but they way it told the story of how the scientists became more convinced as the investigation progressed was really interesting.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Just finished watching the documentary on 4od. Thought it was really enjoyable to watch. Obviously she is a loon but they way it told the story of how the scientists became more convinced as the investigation progressed was really interesting.

Yes, it was interesting. I had previously watched the press conference live via a stream on the BBC's web site. This had a lot more facts which were left out of the programme, including more info on the injuries to the skull and some more specific stuff on the DNA testing including some comparison graphs. I was surprised some of this was missing from the programme.
  • Options
    It was an intereresting dicumentary. It was a bit funny to see supporters of Richard claim that his hunch back was a Tudor myth, then to find out it was true. Then it came down to, 'that isn't the face of a tyrant'!!!!!

Was fascinating all the same, as it/he was part of history. Surely the best solution for the bones would be for the area where he was found to make a tourist attraction around it.