Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham’s charitable gesture blasted as tax avoidance scheme

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/beckham-charitable-gesture-blasted-tax-avoidance-scheme-110925633.html He is giving it to a french charity what more do they want . so will the rest of his world earnings tax be payed in England if so happy days .

Comments

• Options
    How stupid is that ?

You can't be expected to pay tax on money you earn and then give to charity.
  • Options
    A load of fuss about nothing. Someone who is not drawing a direct salary, there for about 3 months and whose family home is in another country should not be deemed tax resident in that country and therefore paying tax at 75%.

Becks will turn into a political football in France, shame.
  • Options
    What did Hollande expect when he introduced the 75% tax bracket? If I was earning the sort of money that fell into that bracket I'd leave the sodding country too. You'd be mad not to!
  • Options
    If he took the money at the 75% tax rate he'd still pocket £42.5k a week. But they are moaning because he has instead chosen to give all £170k a week to a charity. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Everyone reduces their taxable income if they donate to charity through Gift Aid over here.

Better giving the money to a good cause than a lost cause.
  • Options
    Damn that Mastermind Beckham. He has been very sneaking in avoiding paying tax by working for free. Grrrrr.
  • Options
    Even if this was true he'd hardly be the first famous/rich trying to pay less tax!

Lets give Beckham some credit...think its too easy to knock him.

• Options
    He wanted to play for free but the law states he has to take the minimum wage for footballers which I think is £1700 per week.
  • Options
    Three sure fire ways of avoiding paying any tax.

1. Earn nothing
    2. Spend nothing
    3. Ensure all your family do the same and leave you nothing.

Easy.
  • Options
    4. Move to China.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/beckham-charitable-gesture-blasted-tax-avoidance-scheme-110925633.html He is giving it to a french charity what more do they want . so will the rest of his world earnings tax be payed in England if so happy days .

Highly unlikely he will be paying any UK income tax

• Options
    redman said:

I bet DB PLC does though.

• Options
    Someone has a slightly different idea...

On international duty with Sweden, Zlatan Ibrahimovic was asked about his new teammate, David Beckham. He said some stuff about how the team is certainly more handsome now which was pretty funny, but this - THIS - is the jewel in the crown.

Last week it was announced that David Beckham would donate his entire PSG salary to a local children's charity. When Zlatan was questioned about this he said:

"I heard Beckham's decision and it made me think - who is most deserving of all of the money that I'm paid? The answer is Zlatan. The children of Paris are not leading Ligue 1 in goals this season. I am. I have 20 goals. The next best players have 12. If anything, the children of Paris should be giving me even more money for having the privilege of being in the same city as my incredible quality."

Legend.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Someone has a slightly different idea...

On international duty with Sweden, Zlatan Ibrahimovic was asked about his new teammate, David Beckham. He said some stuff about how the team is certainly more handsome now which was pretty funny, but this - THIS - is the jewel in the crown.

Last week it was announced that David Beckham would donate his entire PSG salary to a local children's charity. When Zlatan was questioned about this he said:

"I heard Beckham's decision and it made me think - who is most deserving of all of the money that I'm paid? The answer is Zlatan. The children of Paris are not leading Ligue 1 in goals this season. I am. I have 20 goals. The next best players have 12. If anything, the children of Paris should be giving me even more money for having the privilege of being in the same city as my incredible quality."

Legend.

Haha, even though its fake the funny thing is it probably isn't a million miles off what Zlatan really thinks !
  • Options
    The man is in no way bright enough to knowingly pull a scheme like that.
  • Options

Everyone reduces their taxable income if they donate to charity through Gift Aid over here.

Not unless they have some taxable income at the 40% tax band they don't.

• Options

Am I not right in saying that there are limits?

I believe what Brand Beckham and PSG are doing (and I called this the second that he announced his altruistic payment structure) is donating his salary (which he would be getting a small percentage of, due to French tax laws) while continuing to profit from the image rights (which is the lions share) and which will be taxed based on the low tax location of Brand Beckham Inc. So the French government get diddly, Becks and PSG get to line their pockets while looking like saints and nobody can criticise the situation because he's doing it all out of the aching goodness of his heart.

I'm sure tabloid types will be frothing at the mouth at this alternate view. But imagine if we replace Saint Dave with some odious dickhole - say Suarez, change the country from France to England and the spin of the story. You get: Multi millionaire Suarez is getting the majority of his income tax free while living and working in this country, while expecting us to treat him as a hero as he's tossing a few crumbs to Scouse urchins, in order to boost his own image.

Before anyone comes on, please note that I'm deriding the reporting and reaction to this rather than David's super gesture.
    Addickted said:

redman said:

I bet DB PLC does though.

Ha ha. Seriously?
  • Options
    Yep there are limits as cafcfan said morts
  • Options

The man is in no way bright enough to knowingly pull a scheme like that.

No but his accountants and financial advisers are.
  • Options
    Quite simply unbelievable.