Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Birmingham City| 9th February 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, Views etc.

edited February 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

Saturday sees Lee Clark’s Birmingham visit the Valley for the first time since 2009, a season which saw us relegated to League One and Birmingham promoted in the Premier League. Since then, The Blues have won the Carling Cup and been relegated in the same season and we have achieved promotion back to the Championship following an excellent 2011/12 which of course saw us finish as Champions.

Both sides sit around the mid-table point and with the Addicks losing the last two games and Birmingham winning their last two, this match has the potential of being a good game even if the pitch denies ‘free-flowing football’– (Sorry Ben!).

The Opposition

Despite having a Carling Cup success and a Europa League campaign to their name over the past two to three seasons, money troubles has prevented Birmingham from continuing their success and has kept them in the Championship for the time being.

However, two consecutive wins for Lee Clark’s side has pushed Birmingham up the table a little bit into 16th place and six points adrift of the relegation zone. Despite the money troubles within the club, Birmingham still have a good and experienced squad. Winger Chris Burke will be the man to watch along with well-known striker Marlon King who was linked with the Addicks last month.

In their last result, Birmingham played a basic 4-4-2 with on-loan striker Wes Thomas upfront with Marlon King, however before that in a 2-1 away win at Burnley, they opted for a 4-5-1, so it will be interesting to see how Clark approaches Saturday’s fixture.

The Line -Up

Similarly to Birmingham, the Addicks also have a bit of a formation selection headache especially due to the number of faces coming back from injury including Danny Haynes and even Andy Hughes. Infact this is one of the few times this season, where Chris Powell has (as far as I’m aware of) the majority of his squad to choose from. I predict that Powell will stick with a 4-5-1 despite the last two results against the Massives and Palace, although some may argue that we need to play a bit more of an attacking formation against Birmingham due to their league position and our recent form, but I still think Powell will keep the 4-5-1.

Who will be in that 4-5-1? Well that’s another dilemma. After his impressive performance against Palace, Dorian Dervite may keep his place in the middle alongside Jackson and either Stephens or Pritchard. If Haynes is available, I reckon Powell may start him on either the right (replacing Wilson) or the left (replacing Wagstaff).

Ricardo Fuller should keep his place after an excellent performance against Palace and despite Rhoys Wiggins nearing ever closer to a start, I predict Powell will stick with Cedric Evina for the time-being. Furthemore despite a shaky couple of games, we should still see Ben Hamer keeping guard for the Addicks.

The Prediction

An optimistic 2-1 victory.

Predicted Line-Up

Comments

• Options
    1-1 Jackson, King
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    hamer
    solly morro cort wiggins
    wilson stephens pritchard jackson
    fuller haynes

charlton out of the traps quickly for once, 3-1 win
  • Options
    3-0 to the Red & White Army
  • Options
    4-1 home win. We play to our strengths and bypass the playing surface as it's crap, or so Ben says.
  • Options
    2-1 to the addicks. I'm still not able to do the match thread for another two weeks, but @lancashirelad has said he will step in for me. I hope to be back for the 23rd (at a push the 19th v's Leics) for the game against Forest. Cheers RedM.
  • Options
    Yes I think 4 5 1 suits but bring haynes on to replace fuller in the second half as he will be tired, We generally respond to defeat with a win so as long as we win the midfield and don't switch off in the second half then yes a win 2-0
  • Options

hamer
    solly morro cort wiggins
    wilson stephens pritchard jackson
    fuller haynes

charlton out of the traps quickly for once, 3-1 win

I think one of the reasons we play 5 in midfield is that Jackson cannot play left wing anymore. I would start with the samr team that did Palarse in the first half and plan to bring on Haynes and Kermit for last 20 whatever the score!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Where's Waggy in these line ups?

OK we've thrown away two winning positions but he has been instrumental in getting us into those winning positions.

I really don't want to lose this match as our cushion from the bottom 3 is gradually being eroded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-3 defeat after being 2-0 up. No subs no points.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2013
    I have been reading all week about players blaming the pitch for the poor home form. If the pitch is heavy then it is obvious that proper substitutions will need to be made around 70 mins. I am heartened by the excellent first half performance and the committed performance against sheff weds but proper substitions need to be made. All this crap about the pitch.

(100% in support of Chris Powell. I want him to learn, and get better; and be managers for many seasons. Continuity served as well with Curbs. It doesn't mean that mistakes can't be pointed out when it happens).

I think it is notable that the tactical mistakes were exploited by new player lita against sheff weds and kevin phillips for palace. If we had a proper left midfield, striker may that have made a difference for Charlton. It is a shame as with the investment of 3 other decent players in key areas, I could see Charlton challenging for the top 6. Easy to spend other peoples hard earned I know. The company accounts shows the cost. I do think that they were released when they were to reduce expectation. Maybe the loan window will bring a nice surprise. Lets hope the loan player is more hulse like than frimpong. Schulp would be good.

A close game. Probably a draw. Would be very happy with 3 points, even if it is a dour game.
  • Options
    another dour, drab, grinder of a match which will be tough to call with both sides fairly limited in ability
    hard work and effort can only get you so far and another winless match for the addicks will leave us looking over our shoulders nervously
    1-1 draw
  • Options
    3 1 win for the mighty addicks, Fuller, Haynes & Jackson with the goals, all of which take a nasty deflection of a lump in the pitch. ;-)

• Options
    I wonder what the odds are on 2-1 loss after being 1-0 up at half time - I might risk a tenner on that. :-)

Seriously, I expect a reaction from the manager and the team. Powelly will stick to 4-5-1 until 75 minutes (at which point the blues equalise), when he dramatically switches to 4-4-2, brings on Kermo and nicks it 2-1.
  • Options
    A tasty win for the addicks but I fear that this will erode our cushion from the play-offs... its not the despair but the hope that kills us !
  • Options
    A reversal of recent fortunes gives us a 2-1 win with late goals after trailing 0-1 at the break.

Pritch to finally take a chance to clinch the win.

Team as predicted by Stubley although, personally, I would not play Dervite, put Lawrie Wilson in the middle and Waggy on the right.
  • Options
    1-2

1-1 going into injury time. Birmingham defender hoofs one up, no danger as it trickles through to Hamer but takes a massive deflection off a divot from the carved up pitch.
  • Options
    Cant see anything else than a 1-0 loss. Weve lost to three teams that were in a relegation fight and cant see any change with this one. With Hull and Leicester away coming up suspect were be in the middle of it in a few weeks time. Hope that i am proved wrong.
  • Options
    cafc are heading for mid table safety and I expect a 1 - 1 draw. However for the sake of this forum I really am hoping for a home win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm giving up on guessing, I am going to rely upon recent evidence. We will come out and play some sparkling football, and go in 1-0 at half time. After some cautious words at half time we will come out and defend in depth, and suddenly the opposition will sense an opportunity. With fifteen minutes to go they will score, 1-1. Everyone will look for us to make changes because we need a win. When we don't the opposition will say thanks very much, make a change themselves and score again 1-2. At 88 minutes CP will look at his watch and think good grief, I wll have to put a couple of subs on and ask tham to save us in the last two minutes. Game ends 1-2. OK I'm a miserable old bugger, so teach me a lesson CP and lets learn from our mistakes.
  • Options
    Same team as against the Nigels, with maybe Wiggins for Ceddy!
    I think Powell may have to change to 442, with Haynes up top with Ric, as they tire.

I think this is a massive match for Powell. A must win 3-0 to the Haddocks. JJ and 2 for Ric.
  • Options
    I am still sulking from Saturdays result.

0-1 to Brum
  • Options
    sh!t game 0-0
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton, got a good feeling.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    0-0 on 89 minutes when their keeper hoofs one upfield. Due to Cort standing in a 6 foot deep divot, he doesnt see the ball coming, and when he does warn the keeper it's too late, as Hamer trips over a large boulder and heads the loose ball into his own net.
  • Options
    1-3 to Brum and the slide towards the trap door continues, with Charlton fans shouting for Powells head at the final whistle.
  • Options
    proper shit game but we nick a 1-0 (Fuller 67)
  • Options
    4-0
  • Options
    3-2