Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why cant we close games out?

Beginning to think this team has a major character flaw as they seem to crap themselves at the end of games - I cannot believe we didn't win today.
Wtf is missing? You can almost see the players wilt and almost invite the oppo to score.

Comments

• Options
    Zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    They're scared of getting booed by our glorious fans, maybe. Either that or the backs-to-the-wall style we naturally employ lends itself to the rearguard narrative, which is ridiculous considering how dominant we were today
  • Options
    I blame the pitch
  • Options

Beginning to think this team has a major character flaw as they seem to crap themselves at the end of games ....

It is basically the same team that had the character to close out League One teams last season.

• Options
    They must switch off or something. Could this be something to do with lack of Championship nous at the death. Could get away with easing off last year but at this level you'll be punished.
  • Options
    Blimey. Last season we were expert at closing out games. It's just a blip . I have total faith in SCP.
  • Options
    We can't close the game down at the end because we pull the play back by weakening our attack but still boot the ball out assuming there is going to be a Charlton player there to receive it or chase it down but in reality all that happens is it goes straight to an opposition player and comes back at our goal yet again...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The problem to me seems that we retreat to our 18 yard line - and that's shooting distance.

I can't fathom why we don't play a higher line, another 5 or 10 yards further up the pitch - compacting our team by bringing our defence and attack closer together, and starving midfield of any time and space for opponents.

• Options
    Part of the problem has to be that whenever Hamer gets the ball, he kicks it upfield and we win half of those, if we're lucky. Clearly the team are not used to keeping possession and moving forward from the back and we don't seem able to hold onto it when its hoofed. Sometimes the hoofing works, a couple of times Fuller was clear and something might have happened. But other times it just means its straight back to the opposition for them to build again.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Part of the problem has to be that whenever Hamer gets the ball, he kicks it upfield and we win half of those, if we're lucky. Clearly the team are not used to keeping possession and moving forward from the back and we don't seem able to hold onto it when its hoofed. Sometimes the hoofing works, a couple of times Fuller was clear and something might have happened. But other times it just means its straight back to the opposition for them to build again.

I agree with you but looking at the state of the pitch today, I don't think playing from the back would have worked.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

The problem to me seems that we retreat to our 18 yard line - and that's shooting distance.spot on

I can't fathom why we don't play a higher line, another 5 or 10 yards further up the pitch - compacting our team by bringing our defence and attack closer together, and starving midfield of any time and space for opponents.

• Options
    spot on
  • Options
    They drop deep, that's why we lose. Silly decision by our manager. BUT we do NOT want Powell out, he's the only reason we've stayed up this year IMO.
  • Options
    Can't believe that no one has realised that its because we have been cursed. What other possible explanation could it be.
  • Options
    I saw a black cat in the west stand car park before the game. It was eating what appeared to be a chicken leg - but I guess it might have been a horses head - you can never tell these days.

Would explain a lot.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I saw a black cat in the west stand car park before the game. It was eating what appeared to be a chicken leg - but I guess it might have been a horses head - you can never tell these days.

You can tell - it had Tesco packaging.
  • Options
    Seriously Oggy, I did see a black cat sitting there eating something by the turnstiles. Only now do I begin to understand the prophecy.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Off_it said:

You can tell - it had Tesco packaging.
    funny
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We've never been able to, certainly not in my life time. Haven't been able to under Powell in a tricky league, never could under Curbs...It's who we are, man up and deal with it.
  • Options
    We're a mostly league 1 team mixing it with the bigger boys?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

The problem to me seems that we retreat to our 18 yard line - and that's shooting distance.

We don't play a higher line because our centre backs are not the quickest I reckon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    i sit at the front of the north lower and as soon as a team attack in the last few minutes you can feel the negativity of the crowd sweep down past you and onto the pitch. This may have an effect on the players. Look at the effect the crowd had against Cardiff when we went 2 down. We, the crowd won that match and I think we all need to up our game and set an example. When the north stand starts it really does give the players lift.

Lets try it shall we??
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

We don't play a higher line because our centre backs are not the quickest I reckon.
    Maybe, Len. But we played a higher line all game - until we scored.

• Options
    Would anyone on here consider the idea of bringing Callum Harriot on for the last 10 minutes to run at the opposition?
  • Options

Would anyone on here consider the idea of bringing Callum Harriot on for the last 10 minutes to run at the opposition?

Intresting i can see the logic !

But if Powell does that and we concede then he's in the wrong and then we should of brang on Dervite.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oggy Red said:

LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

Maybe, Len. But we played a higher line all game - until we scored.

And Cort and, to a lesser extent, Morro looked distinctly uncomfortable backpedalling at times.

Reminiscent of Paddy Mc Carthy and Mark Hudson at their worst!

I'm not saying we shouldn't play a higher line, sometimes you have to look at the less of various evils, but you asked why we don't and I gave my view.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    But that's where your keeper becomes your sweeper - Hamer is quick enough off his line to monitor any threat, as long as he keeps his hands off the ball outside the box!

Plenty of keepers play the sweeper role in their teams.

Anyway, we are only talking about a higher line a further 5 or 10 yards from the 18 yard line.
    Both our CB's should be able to handle that.
  • Options
    Zigic came on, won two headers and they sent four blokes up front, so we had to leave five men back straight away. Wasn't a question of us dropping back...they pressed up back. Maybe we should have left three up in the hope that they would send at least three back or maybe we should have been a little more alive to the ball into our penalty area. Was Solly a bit slow to spot the danger?