Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Potential Season ticket prices for 2013/14?

edited February 2013 in General Charlton
Pre-deadline season-ticket prices

Adults

Lower west, upper west L/M/N/P, east C/D/E/F £375 to £425
Upper west J/K/Q/R & east A/B/G/H £350 to £400
Upper north, lower north & NWQ £240 to £290
Family stand £215 to £240

Concessions (over 60s/U21s)
Lower west, upper west L/M/N/P, east C/D/E/F £250 to £300
Upper west J/K/Q/R & east A/B/G/H £225 to £275
Upper north, lower north & NWQ £165 to £200
Family stand £165 to £200

U18s
All stands £75 to £99

U11s
All stands £49

Based on what I've written in the new VOTV, these are the prices I think the club should announce for next season - basically a return to the 2009/10 & 10/11 League One rates, and still very good value for Championship football (which I think has to be assumed in price setting). They are the rates charged after the deadline last year, and would still be cheaper than last time we were at this level (notwithstanding the offer of a free Premier League season ticket in 2007 and 2008). They also have the advantage that they start to address the VIP issue whereby most people who bought five-year tickets in 2009 are currently £100 worse off than if they'd bought year on year. In fact the club is going to dig itself into a deep hole on that one it doesn't start to redress that balance this year.

That's assuming that the club doesn't do any tinkering with the price structure, which is always possible. I can see an argument for raising the U11s to £75, although on balance I think that group is so important to the future that it's best left where it is.

The weakness of the club's position, of course, is the very poor home record to date, but even so the current ST pricing is not sustainable at this level and won't maximise the revenue in my opinion. In practice, the only price points that matter very much are the top adult price and the adult price in the north stand - they will contribute the majority of the revenue, so small movements here are much more important than elsewhere.

Providing we remain in the Championship I'd be considering going up again after any deadline to match the 2008 pricing and prepare the way for 2014 (so late purchasers last year and this would get the same level of increase as early purchasers in both years), but that should be looked at in the context of take-up and whether there is going to be investment in the team over the summer to help drive sales. Even that would still leave the VIPs short, though, and it would have consequences for match pricing that need to be thought through. I don't think there is great scope for match-by-match increases and that's where I'd be more concerned if there are changes.

Comments

• Options
    If you are any where near correct in your suggestions. It would put my ST up by £35. Personally i would not be too upset by that, provided i was getting Championship football for the new price.
    However we are not certain that we will be watching Championship football next season. Should the deadline come before that became a (virtual) certainty. I would be loath to pay more for my ticket. In fact i would probably revert to paying on a match by match basis.
  • Options
    I could live with that I think. Slightly misleading thread title perhaps, for anyone who just opens the thread and looks at the prices.
  • Options
    How many VIP's are there? what would it cost to extend for one season?
  • Options
    Still excellent value in my opinion. However bound to a reduction in number sold. Airman what would your guess be on reduction in number sold?
  • Options
    £425 for a top season ticket in the Championship is a good competative price.
  • Options
    redman said:

Still excellent value in my opinion. However bound to a reduction in number sold. Airman what would your guess be on reduction in number sold?

I don't think these prices would make much difference - the football might.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

How many VIP's are there? what would it cost to extend for one season?

450 - top of my head £150k. A discount would be more likely.
  • Options
    Haven't you just done someone's job for them?
  • Options
    They should £100 off each if those adult prices and try and fill the ground... Supply and demand should set the price levels...if most of the ground is already sold out then the price of the few remaining and away end can go up
  • Options
    I don't mind the under 11's ticket going up to £75 as long as they reduce the membership for them to crossbars. ( currently £75)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't mind the under 11's ticket going up to £75 as long as they reduce the membership for them to crossbars. ( currently £75)

Couldnt agree more. We pay £75 for them and they still get money from they for the food and drink which is a rip off imho
  • Options
    I think under 11s prices should stay where they are, and certainly not rise by 50%. We should be encouraging kids to the Valley
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Couldnt agree more. We pay £75 for them and they still get money from they for the food and drink which is a rip off imho
    The argument for that is that an U11 counts the same as an adult in terms of the capacity of the lounge, so potentially excludes an adult paying a higher price. I'm not saying it's right, just that there is more to it than what's fair for an U11.
  • Options

They should £100 off each if those adult prices and try and fill the ground... Supply and demand should set the price levels...if most of the ground is already sold out then the price of the few remaining and away end can go up

I modelled a flat rate season ticket at £199 last year. I gave it to the board as an option, although I wasn't wholly convinced by it. One risk is that you'll just price in the people who want to come to half the games but they wouldn't actually attend any more often.
  • Options
    At the above prices the additional income will be about 400K. Where as an additional season ticket holders would bring in about 600K at todays prices. (all ball park figures). The increase in prices would probally reduce the season ticket numbers as we will lose the promotion bounce. As person on a fixed income a 25% ,increase is out of kilter with inflation, people are up in arms over rail price increases, so why should football clubs be any different. Saying that if the addtional money was ring fenced to improve the pitch I would be happy to pay. The club needs to give real incentives to renew early. I would like to know how Norwich were able to keep their season ticket fan base even when they were in Division 1.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I would like to know how Norwich were able to keep their season ticket fan base even when they were in Division 1.

No other alternatives in the area?
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

At the above prices the additional income will be about 400K. Where as an additional season ticket holders would bring in about 600K at todays prices. (all ball park figures). The increase in prices would probally reduce the season ticket numbers as we will lose the promotion bounce. As person on a fixed income a 25% ,increase is out of kilter with inflation, people are up in arms over rail price increases, so why should football clubs be any different. Saying that if the addtional money was ring fenced to improve the pitch I would be happy to pay. The club needs to give real incentives to renew early. I would like to know how Norwich were able to keep their season ticket fan base even when they were in Division 1.

Only club in the area is a factor.

The hardcore will renew at London clubs but others will stop or go elsewhere.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Dansk_Red said:

I would like to know how Norwich were able to keep their season ticket fan base even when they were in Division 1.

No other alternatives in the area?
    Where else can you watch charlton?
  • Options
    Nothing else to spend there money on in norwich...
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

Tractors?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

cs1986 said:

Tractors?

Ha ha nice one
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think those prices are reasonable, but will probably mean as a VIP, I will in all probability have paid more by the end of the 5 years & of course paid it all upfront.

I paid £1450 for a 5yr S/T Upper Covered End.

I would have paid (if paid early with discount, which I do)

10/11 £290
    11/12 £240
    12/13 £240.

So if 13/14 is £290 as you suggest. That makes a total of £1060 after 4 years.
    Unless 14/15 goes up another by £100 to £390, I will have lost out.

Whilst I bought the S/T to help ensure the club's survival, I don't really think it's fair to be penalised compared to others, for "putting my money in upfront".

I'd be more than happy for a discount in year 6, to ensure that I'm not worse off. Just as a matter of fairness, if nothing else. A company should look after their valued customers.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I think those prices are reasonable, but will probably mean as a VIP, I will in all probability have paid more by the end of the 5 years & of course paid it all upfront.

I paid £1450 for a 5yr S/T Upper Covered End.

I would have paid (if paid early with discount, which I do)

10/11 £290
    11/12 £240
    12/13 £240.

So if 13/14 is £290 as you suggest. That makes a total of £1060 after 4 years.
    Unless 14/15 goes up another by £100 to £390, I will have lost out.

Whilst I bought the S/T to help ensure the club's survival, I don't really think it's fair to be penalised compared to others, for "putting my money in upfront".

I'd be more than happy for a discount in year 6, to ensure that I'm not worse off. Just as a matter of fairness, if nothing else. A company should look after their valued customers.

Yes, you're right. For some reason until recently I had it in my mind that because the prices would probably go back where they were you wouldn't have lost out. But actually you almost certainly will have.

Steve Kavanagh did promise the club would correct any shortfall at the end of the scheme and I imagine that it will, although of course Steve isn't around to make good on that. There are still people around who will understand the issue, however, so I'd expect it to be sorted out.
  • Options
    If the worst comes to the worst I'm sure Prothero would be happy enough to pay the difference on his credit card :-)
  • Options
    Important that any rise is kept as low as possible. A £50 rise on a £375 ticket (what I paid before the deadline for this year) would be way above inflation. It is all good and well comparing to the last time we were at this level but the world has moved on in that time and most people have less money or less security than then. I do agree that something needs to be sorted out for the VIPs but a huge rise for the rest of us could see significant numbers reverting to pay as you go and they will probably go less. Price adjustments need to be made to the prices people actually paid for their tickets this year rather than the current price. Those of us who bought pre-deadline would face a double whammy if the base before adjustment is taken to be the current ST price (£425) in my case. If I go from £375 to £475 in one fell swoop then I won't have a choice to make. This is a very tricky one for the club given its own needs at this point. I wait with bated breath.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

As person on a fixed income a 25% ,increase is out of kilter with inflation, people are up in arms over rail price increases, so why should football clubs be any different.

We've had prices drops in the past, unlike rail prices.

• Options
    Are we saying that the club ought to make the announcement now because there's been an article in VOTV? Bit dangerous suggesting that they have to respond to anything in a fanzine or online blog. At the end of the day, the price will be the price and it'll doubtlessly be announced in good time.

I modelled a flat rate season ticket at £199 last year. I gave it to the board as an option, although I wasn't wholly convinced by it. One risk is that you'll just price in the people who want to come to half the games but they wouldn't actually attend any more often.
    Interesting idea, but I agree. I know several people now who hold a Season Ticket but attend half the games.
  • Options
    Lets pay what their home performances are worth this year. Could they send me the money soon please.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It will only become clear if VIP's have paid more when the SeasonTicket prices for 2014/2015 are announced. Meanwhile, Steve Bradshaw is aware of this potential problem, which was brought to his attention at last week's Fans Forum Meeting.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Important that any rise is kept as low as possible. A £50 rise on a £375 ticket (what I paid before the deadline for this year) would be way above inflation. It is all good and well comparing to the last time we were at this level but the world has moved on in that time and most people have less money or less security than then. I do agree that something needs to be sorted out for the VIPs but a huge rise for the rest of us could see significant numbers reverting to pay as you go and they will probably go less. Price adjustments need to be made to the prices people actually paid for their tickets this year rather than the current price. Those of us who bought pre-deadline would face a double whammy if the base before adjustment is taken to be the current ST price (£425) in my case. If I go from £375 to £475 in one fell swoop then I won't have a choice to make. This is a very tricky one for the club given its own needs at this point. I wait with bated breath.

Very much doubt the staff at the club are daft enough to support a £100 increase, but a £50 increase on the pre-deadline prices last year will only be what it was in League One 2009-11, not last time we were in the Championship. That's what I have set out. I do think the main issue for many people will be results at home.

On timing they will announce shortly because they need to have two pay days in the timetable to allow people to plan their finances, as the staff will know.