Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Walsh / Jolly Drayman

Had a little chat with Walshie yesterday and mentioned the days when we both used to drink in The Jolly Drayman "yeah good days, must of been over 30 years ago" he said.

He was right - frightening !! Anyone else on here get in there in those days - great Geordie landlord - Terry ?

Comments

• Options
    First "date" with my wife was in there. 1975. Pulled a few birds out of there before then of course.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes, Friday and Saturday nights we could often be found in there, went less when it dropped the "Jolly" monicker. It became a real posers place, usually a white convertible XR3i parked on the forecourt.
    It was probably 30 years ago we stopped as a bunch of right mingers we had hooked up with that summer in S of France tracked us down there.
    Just heard Is There Something I Should Know on the radio, that's 30 years old, scary.
  • Options
    That was Andy Jones's second home. Always pissed. No wonder he was fat n slow
  • Options

That was Andy Jones's second home. Always pissed. No wonder he was fat n slow

That man could drink.
  • Options
    A few times in the early 80s.
  • Options
    Not quite 30 years ago but 86/7, yes, occasionally but definite favourite for a while. Remember the dance floor then was raised like a boxing ring. Enjoyed there and Shades at Badgers Mount/ Pratts Bottom (?)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think it was called the Polo Bar when I started going in there (around 1994/95 time).
  • Options
    Anyone tell me where this pub is, as there is a jolly drayman pub in Gravesend assume that this isnt the one.
  • Options

Anyone tell me where this pub is, as there is a jolly drayman pub in Gravesend assume that this isnt the one.

On the main road (Broadway) through Bexleyheath.
  • Options

Bexleyheath

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    sad memories for me in 6, i arranged to meet a girl in their when i was 16, she was in their with a mate, i went up the bar to get a light n bitter and 2 halves of larger n lime, and the guv kicked me out and the chicks stayed in there...slags. So i went down the Forresters in Welling/Plumstead borders where i could get served, 27p for a pint of bitter in think.
  • Options
    Mid 70s to about 1980 was a Watney Pub as i recall.Was one of the in places and yes a good pulling pub.
  • Options
    Used to go there in 83/84/85 magic place at the time as was the station in welling but somehow remember us moving on to septembers and the globe! Don't know why?
  • Options
    ockquote class="Quote" rel="swords_alive">Not quite 30 years ago but 86/7, yes, occasionally but definite favourite for a while. Remember the dance floor then was raised like a boxing ring. Enjoyed there and Shades at Badgers Mount/ Pratts Bottom (?)

Shades ? I grew up round there and never herd of Shades, there used to be a pub called The Raven at the top of Badgers Mount hill and of course The Bull at Pratts Bottom

• Options
    SESEVEN said:

sad memories for me in 6, i arranged to meet a girl in their when i was 16, she was in their with a mate, i went up the bar to get a light n bitter and 2 halves of larger n lime, and the guv kicked me out and the chicks stayed in there...slags. So i went down the Forresters in Welling/Plumstead borders where i could get served, 27p for a pint of bitter in think.

It wasn't your age, it was that you asked for a light 'n' bitter.
  • Options
    The odd time in the mid 80's, but much more a Prince Albert regular in Bexleyheath, sank a few in there with 1905/Dave Mehmet over the years, and we had the tallest goalie in the Sunday League :-)
  • Options
    DA9 said:

The odd time in the mid 80's, but much more a Prince Albert regular in Bexleyheath, sank a few in there with 1905/Dave Mehmet over the years, and we had the tallest goalie in the Sunday League :-)

And fastest right back (I wish!)
  • Options

DA9 said:

And fastest right back (I wish!)
    :-)

• Options
    drank in there in the 80,s just about remerber it bieng called the upton. walshie wasnt the only charlton player to drink in there player called tony booth did only played a handful of games,but have seen him at afew games latley.
  • Options
    Thanks guys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always used to be in the Albert on a Sunday night.loved all that nautical brass in there as was a diver at the time!
  • Options

Always used to be in the Albert on a Sunday night.loved all that nautical brass in there as was a diver at the time!

It's all still there. Pub not changed much thankfully. Shepard Neame bought it a few years back and look after their pubs well.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    DA9 said:

That was the first pub I ever got served in !! I was 15 and nearly jumped over the bar to kiss the barman when he started pouring my pint. I was expecting the "Got any ID?" line, but no, I got served. Think that pint lasted me about 2 hours !!
  • Options

Nautical brass.... Full of semen
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's all still there. Pub not changed much thankfully. Shepard Neame bought it a few years back and look after their pubs well.

The French guy that owns the Victorian Restaurant upstairs bought the Albert a while back. Decent food if a bit pricey.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The notorious depth charges!
  • Options
    I frequented the Jolly Draymen back in the aerly/mid 70s with my good mate Dave Woods. Had some fantastic nights in thrre. Easy place to pull the birds, but there were a few fights to contend with!
  • Options
    Rem

Used to go there in 83/84/85 magic place at the time as was the station in welling but somehow remember us moving on to septembers and the globe! Don't know why?

Remember the Station to not a bad place on a Friday night.
  • Options
    Drayman shut down now.Bound to be a Tesco's.