Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dropping deep

Much like the new breed of supporters this is not a new phenom

I have been trying to think of a season where we did not do it or a manager we have had when tbis did not occur

Anyone else think of any or is it basic footballer psyche when desperation sets in

Comments

• Options
    I think it's natural when you take the lead in the 88th minute, not so much after 65/70/75 when it is more than likely a tactical ploy.
  • Options
    We've been discussing this on the "Why can't we close games out" thread, NLA.

;o)
  • Options
    Is there any time that it is benificial to any team to use it as a tactic

I listend to fergie in an interview early this season where he was fuming that utd kept dropping deep

Gary neville done a good piece on sky about the problems it causes cant believe any mgr would employ it as a tactic

Got to be a natural instinct in players
  • Options
    Chelsea won the Champions League last season by employing the dropping deep tactic didn't they?!
  • Options
    True good example

• Options
    That being said, Birmingham and Massive are not exactly Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
  • Options
    There's a difference between parking the bus and dropping deep.
    The one that infuriates me is old Curb's fav, defending a corner with 11 men, Aghhhh!
  • Options
    No but atleast i know we are only doing it so we can be really good at it when we get in the champs league
  • Options
    Thats the impressive thing about our corners when we do the short it 99 times out of a 100 means that the other team have to really gamble to leave players up top

Villa are now defending so deep it is just instinct and small nutts
  • Options
    I honestly think it's human nature, happens at all levels. You get the manager, goalie and crowd screaming at 10 blokes who've suddenly gone deaf!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Then of course if you've converted you chances earlier you can cope with the score being 3 or 4-1 for five minutes......
  • Options
    And dropping deep just cost villa a goal and now a nervy last few mins

It is instinct human nature not the nonsense some are posting about the mgr
  • Options
    How hard is to just keep hold of the ball in the oppositions half whether it's through quick passing or holding it near the corner? Enough teams do it succesfully against us.
  • Options
    Totally agree but i want to understand if we all think that and pros mgrs and ex pros all say it why do players do it

Powell himself said he doesnt know why the players do it
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The one that infuriates me is old Curb's fav, defending a corner with 11 men, Aghhhh!

Conversely, I feel like saying 'aaaghh' when I read comments like that! We rarely conceded from corners, were capable of countering nonetheless, and enjoyed a hugely successful spell employing such tactics. I'm so glad managers don't have to explain themselves to supporters.
  • Options
    32 mins gone at OT united 1 up and are dropping deeper and deeper under a bit of consistant pressure from everton to the point where giggs has just berrated his defenders to push up

It happens to all teams very interesting what goes through a pros head

Why do it
  • Options
    Is it that a team drops deeper or that the other team come further up the pitch making it appear like we are?

• Options
    There seems to be a situation that appears as
    Soon as the other team applys pressure that the defence and midfield drop 5 or 10 yds
  • Options

And dropping deep just cost villa a goal and now a nervy last few mins

It is instinct human nature not the nonsense some are posting about the mgr

100% agree with that NLA. I still think Powelly has a lot to learn but not to blame yesterday for me.
  • Options
    Loads to learn imo but def not to blame

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    And there is the counter claim everton play a high line pressuring the play and bang get caught for 2nd goal
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Riviera said:

Conversely, I feel like saying 'aaaghh' when I read comments like that! We rarely conceded from corners, were capable of countering nonetheless, and enjoyed a hugely successful spell employing such tactics. I'm so glad managers don't have to explain themselves to supporters.
    I cannot think of one team that consistently employ this tatic, or even occasionally.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Riviera said:

I disagree it was so annoying when we would clear the ball and give it straight back to them because there was no one there. Fair enough if we have a team of Kermorgants but when you have a player like Rommedahl who brought nothing to defending corners he could have stood on the halfway line.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Riviera said:

I disagree it was so annoying when we would clear the ball and give it straight back to them because there was no one there. Fair enough if we have a team of Kermorgants but when you have a player like Rommedahl who brought nothing to defending corners he could have stood on the halfway line.
    This.
  • Options
    Waggy was on the halfway line from at least one Birmingham corner...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Riviera said:

Totally agree!

Personally, I don't see the logic in it. Sure, you bring everybody back to crowd the box and deny opponents time and space should they create a chance.

But that generally causes them to bring up another couple of their defenders to the edge of box, penning you in with no outlet, so that clearances surrender possession to opponents, who then build the pressure yet again.

IMO far better for us to have a speedy mobile player patrolling the centre circle - it gives us a vital outlet, and quickly gives a reasonable chance to catch opponents on the counter attack.