Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vietnam

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bump.

The wife has booked us a trip to Vietnam in February. So much for me getting to Barbados for the cricket like she originally promised. I'm feeling a little out of my comfort zone as the furthest east I've ever been is Italy! Has anyone flown by Vietnam Airlines direct before or have you gone indirect?

We're starting in Hanoi, then travelling South to Hue, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh with a couple of internal flights as the wife didn't want to endure the 14-16 hours train ride.

Presumably the tips above still apply but are there any later updates?

• Options
    Was there with work not long ago - very hot and sticky on a couple of days in Saigon.

I really liked the place - much more western than I thought it was going to be. Scooters everywhere!

The Vietnam airways flight is supposed to be good, but I went via Abu Dhabi.

It's very cheap and lots of knock off stuff!

I've not been but was told the beaches are amazing. I cant wait to go back!
  • Options
    I watched the Top Gear Vietnam special last night (series 12, episode 8 if anyone is interested!) to see what is in store. Looks like its one hell of a beautiful place.
  • Options
    JB - Vietnam airlines is very good internationally, ok internally although I recent had a 5hr delay flying from HCMC to Hanoi due to flooding of the airport.
    The weather in Hanoi in February is a lot cooler than down in HCMC so suggest you take appropriate clothing for cold and very hot weather.
  • Options
    I can thoroughly recommend Hoi An, but be aware that there is a beach part to Hoi An and a town part, which are quite separate. I've not been to the beach part, but the town is one of those places that is not to be missed. One of my favourite places on the planet. It's not a late night place - most things close at around 10pm, but you can start early as there are plenty of places to wander around and eat/drink.

I like Hanoi more than HCMC. HCMC is rapidly becoming like any other city; perhaps, I am remembering the days when I liked it more - new visitors seem to love it. Hanoi takes a bit of effort to find everything but the old town is great to explore.
  • Options

I can thoroughly recommend Hoi An, but be aware that there is a beach part to Hoi An and a town part, which are quite separate. I've not been to the beach part, but the town is one of those places that is not to be missed. One of my favourite places on the planet. It's not a late night place - most things close at around 10pm, but you can start early as there are plenty of places to wander around and eat/drink.

I like Hanoi more than HCMC. HCMC is rapidly becoming like any other city; perhaps, I am remembering the days when I liked it more - new visitors seem to love it. Hanoi takes a bit of effort to find everything but the old town is great to explore.

Agree with this - HCMC was better back in the day, now it seems to be all Japanese and Korean restaurants. - I caught up with one of the old bar owners when I was last there last month and she said her rent went up to USD5,000 a month! so she had to move out.
  • Options
    Hoi An is a great place. Hue is also nice. I prefered HCMC to Hanoi but there is a lot less hassle and seediness in Hanoi and you don't need to be on your guard as much.
    Avoid Nha Trang like the plague, unless you're Russian.

If you see a cart selling fresh fruit smoothies, get one. They're amazing.
  • Options
    Whenever I see/hear about 'nam' I always think of Americans saying this:

"You don't know mannnn....

You weren't there....."
  • Options
    Go and enjoy......a great place to visit and the food is superb.
  • Options
    Flew with Vietnam Airlines in summer of 2015, to HCMC. Outbound was fine, but inbound was a nightmare. Flew down from Hue and had a five hour layover, but then the flight got pulled while we were at the gate, and 300 people had to bunk down for the night, as the plane was re-timed and flew out next morning. I think we arrived home 9 hours late!