Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ipad mini or galaxy tab?

Going to get one of these two I think for the misses not sure which one though needs to be 7 inch for handbag use( none of ur usual comments please!) Is iPad better or is it just status and coffee table apeal that makes it more popular?

Comments

• Options
    Ipad mini is the nutts wish santa had put the wrong name on the tag and i got it instead of my son

• Options
    Comes down to if you're already tied into a particular eco-system. If you have i-everything then the ipad mini is really the only choice. Otherwise something like the Nexus7 is a lot cheaper and has a better spec than the ipad mini. Of course, Apple will be bringing out a new version of the ipad mini later this year that closes the spec gap (the main one being the Nexus 7 has a far better screen, hence ipad mini within retina display is coming out this year), however, every manufacturer will be bringing out updates devices on a continuing basis, so that's no reason not to buy now.
  • Options
    Got a Nexus 7, and the apps are dogs poo, just expanded phone apps, whilst the iPad mini has properly written apps for it
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Got a Nexus 7, and the apps are dogs poo, just expanded phone apps, whilst the iPad mini has properly written apps for it

To say that is the most ridiculous over-generalisation would be doing a disservice to then term over-statement. I may only have 20-30 apps on mine, but they are all tablet apps.

• Options
    Everyone has their favourites but to truly get the benefits of synching and the infrastructure I would go for whichever operating system your missus uses elsewhere, as has been suggested above.

I.e. if she has an iPhone or a Mac, buy the iPad, Android, buy a Nexus 7.

If neither and you want the best status symbol/design/tailored app tablet buy an iPad, if you want something slightly more economical, more adaptable/open but yet more incomplete by a Nexus.

However, if you mix and match I think you're losing something.
  • Options
    We are an Apple household but I recently picked up the Nexus 7 from the Sunday Times offer (£50 plus an 18 month online subscription) and have to say it's a decent bit of kit given the normal price (£199?), let alone the offer price.
  • Options

Everyone has their favourites but to truly get the benefits of synching and the infrastructure I would go for whichever operating system your missus uses elsewhere, as has been suggested above.

I.e. if she has an iPhone or a Mac, buy the iPad, Android, buy a Nexus 7.

If neither and you want the best status symbol/design/tailored app tablet buy an iPad, if you want something slightly more economical, more adaptable/open but yet more incomplete by a Nexus.

However, if you mix and match I think you're losing something.

That looks like very sound advice.

I am writing this on an iPad mini. My wife commented unfavorably on the screen not being a retina display. Said it is the first time she saw Apple not being cutting edge with a new product. But I am firmly in the Apple Eco-system and the way everything synchs is just amazing.

It is definitely not a replacement for a laptop, though.
  • Options
    Definitely right on the laptop point Prague, I bought a Nexus 10 which is a fantastic bit of kit and basically makes my phone redundant when inside the house unless it rings and my laptop redundant for any web browsing, however there are things that mainstream tablets cannot yet do to a level that means you can live entirely without a desktop/laptop.

It does notice even when the tablet novelty hasn't worn off yet.
  • Options
    Did you get the 16GB Nexus 10? I have been holding out for the 32GB version to become available again. No SD card expansion is a definite downside with both the Nexus and Ipads, so getting enough storage is key.
  • Options
    I got the nexus 7 in 32gb . Alright I guess but find I only use it because I feel it's wasted otherwise , may well sell it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah she has nothing at moment does everything on her blackberrys! Or my notepad(windows 7) I was thinking maybee Samsung tab or similar Android as I like playstore ?
  • Options
    Got my wife a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for Xmas. It is a cracking bit of kit.
  • Options

Ah she has nothing at moment does everything on her blackberrys! Or my notepad(windows 7) I was thinking maybee Samsung tab or similar Android as I like playstore ?

Messaged you
  • Options

Did you get the 16GB Nexus 10? I have been holding out for the 32GB version to become available again. No SD card expansion is a definite downside with both the Nexus and Ipads, so getting enough storage is key.

Got the 32 GB

In all fairness it depends how into the design you are. The storage is easily expandable by probably max. 64GB by: downloading Nexus Media Importer for £1.99, buying a usb otg cable for £3 and a 64gb stick for about £15 (although this is "read" only for all files, it does not "write"). If you don't mind having to plug in now and again to do some skimming then that is a lot of data that can come over.

If I were you I would still hang on for 32GB though unless you are a "cloud" / "skydrive" convert - if you want movies and music and it needs to be tangibly on the device 16GB won't be enough with the OS on there and a few meaty gaming apps.

• Options
    @floydroadfaithfull

In that case I would buy a Nexus 7 32GB.

John Lewis is £199, 2 year guarantee which you won't get anywhere else and you can pick up from JL or Waitrose for free.
  • Options
    nexus 7 all the way! decent tablet all around and the freedom on android.
  • Options
    Does anyone else here own an iPad mini that keeps dropping off the wifi connection at home? Pain in the backside. Few people at work have complained of the same.
  • Options
    I'm selling my nexus. Like it very much but could do with the money at the moment and don't use it enough really as I have an iPhone.
  • Options
    Ah well got her a 10 inch ipad 32 but got myself a Samsung tab 10 inch so happy days!