Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Two-Legged Ties

It has long been accepted that in a two-leg football match, Home and Away, and when Away goals count double; that it is better two play your 2nd leg at home.
I question this. I think it is much better to play the second match AWAY.
For example, if you play Home first and DRAW, even 0-0, I don't think it is a bad result. You then go to your opponents ground and they are immediately under pressure. They have to score if it was nil/nil in the first leg whilst the away team only have to do the same. Even if it's a score draw in the first leg, the away team in the 2nd leg know that a goal will sort them out. I think that puts pressure on the home team in the 2nd leg.
Then if the game goes to extra time you have 30 mins more than your opponents did to score that so important AWAY goal.

Play your first leg at home, get a 0-0 and you're in the driving seat I reckon.

Comments

• Options
    so really, who ever scores has the advantage?
  • Options
    Whoever scores the most goals wins.

But I maintain that 0-0 at home in first leg is not the poor result it is often portrayed as.
  • Options
    If you're away in the second leg, you can potentially get an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal. Doesn't make any sense to me. Away goals shouldn't count after extra time, yet in the League Cup, thy only count away goals AFTER extra time. So being away in the second leg has a huge advantage.
  • Options
    There's nothing quite like excitement between the legs
  • Options
    All academic, when are we ever going to progress far enough in a cup to worry about it.
  • Options
    Thought this was another Pistorious thread
  • Options
    Everyone knows trousers have legs, not ties...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Drawing your first game 0-0 at home in a European game is as close to a victory as you are going to get without actually winning.
  • Options
    Why does the Capital One League Cup have semi finals over two legs, but no other rounds even have replays?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Everyone knows trousers have legs, not ties...

Someone hasn't seen Back to the Future 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

Why does the Capital One League Cup have semi finals over two legs, but no other rounds even have replays?

It was mostly if not entirely two legs (ill never forget the Swindon debacles) until fixture congestion for the top clubs threatened the competition's existence. I think the current set up is a compromise designed to keep it alive.