Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JohnBoy & other road cyclists....

2»

Comments

• Options
    thanks Clem will give harry a go then
  • Options
    Couple of tangents going in here but back to the pedals...with speed plays, in traffic, on your commute, once you are used to them and their positioning, you clip in to them instantly...

John, re the discs....have loved being able to stop in the wet and snow on the mtb and will definitely change at some point... Re: the people behind you....that's their look out...wheel suckers!! Was racing in Annecy in the summer and, unknown to me, had 2 blokes on my wheel, when I had to stand up for a quick 're-arrange'....both of them ended up in the hedge as a result but.....oh well ;-)
  • Options

Couple of tangents going in here but back to the pedals...with speed plays, in traffic, on your commute, once you are used to them and their positioning, you clip in to them instantly...

John, re the discs....have loved being able to stop in the wet and snow on the mtb and will definitely change at some point... Re: the people behind you....that's their look out...wheel suckers!! Was racing in Annecy in the summer and, unknown to me, had 2 blokes on my wheel, when I had to stand up for a quick 're-arrange'....both of them ended up in the hedge as a result but.....oh well ;-)

So you're telling me, after a quick re-arrange, both of them ended up in the hedge! Christ mate, thats one hell of a re-arrange. Hope the other two cyclists were ok? lol.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Decided that my next purchase is going to be a road bike with disc brakes...been riding my mtb to commute (the one bought from you Jon) and I love having the discs...just need to get saving....

Seriously regret selling that to you now lol. Thats the problem with having a small place like mine, just not got the room.

Interesting you saying that about the discs. Thats the one thing that I've never quite got used to with the road bikes, is the lack of stopping power. Cant imagine discs with a road bike though. If you're at the front of a group and you hit the brakes, every single rider behind you without discs will plough into the back of you, wouldnt they? Have to say, would feel a damn site safer with discs though.

BTW - completely off tangent, a number of clubs have reported incidents of attacks on cyclists in the Biggin Hill area, a number of riders have ended up with broken collarbones. Its been reported that a couple of motorcyclist have been swerving into groups and knocking them off and there are reports of a hook and rope being launched from a car.

Last paragraph is worrying. My nephew likes to get out early in the morning and has been trashed off his bike a couple of times by 'lads' in cars thinking it's hilarious to ram him up the pavement. Bastards.

Best to go out in groups, had a nice run out to the Green Roof cafe with LEC yesterday.

On cleats, can't be arsed to use them for commuting, had two downs at traffic lights lately through lack of concentration, gone back to toe clips for work.

• Options
    I was in an Evans shop a few weeks ago getting various bike stuff and took time to browse some of the latest road bikes. I couldn't believe how ugly some of the new styles are with oversized square sided tubes. My 8 year old yellow Bianchi SL3 was a thing of pure beauty next to these new models.
  • Options

Argon bikes are nice...and Canadian.

A bike made out of gas...that's just stoopid!

• Options

I don't have a problem kicking the pedals round - but I find cleats a real pain in the arse for commuting and don't bother with them. Love them for proper long runs, but clipping in & out at traffic lights is interminable (I have to go through about 150 sets of lights in the 40k ride to work). Not sure speedplays would help with that - unless they're much easier to clip in & out of than standard cleats?

You don't have to go through 150 sets of lights...you can always stop at the red ones :)

• Options

Best to go out in groups, had a nice run out to the Green Roof cafe with LEC yesterday.

Dont know if you realise but I'm no longer a member of LEC. Long story not for one here but I'm looking for another club now.

• Options
    You have mail, JB.
  • Options
    I have replied :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    picking up my new road bike this week, a Giant TCR Composite, ended up buying a Giant Anthem XC bike & this was part of the deal - if this nice weather persists will be out riding through the mountains round here in no time...thanks for the advice above chaps