Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone on here go to Ukraine last summer?

Never been to an England away game, but me and a few mates are looking at going to the world cup qualifier in Kiev this September.
Was just curious as to whether people enjoyed it out there last summer, or was a bit of a 'dead' place to go? I can't say i say i know much about Kiev other than people telling me its fairly reasonably priced.

Also i'm not an England fans member, and if i can avoid it i don't particular want to pay £75 to join just so i can buy a ticket for one away game.
So was wondering how easy it is to get tickets when you're out there, be it from England fans or locals?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Yes I did, we stayed there for 5 nights during the Euros, been there twice now with England.

Class city, one of the top 5 I have ever visited and an early September fixture should mean that there is still a bit of warm weather around.

Getting tickets won't be a problem, there are always spares floating about over there, including in the England end (people pulling out at the last minute and giving their mates their ticket to flog whilst over there or even people who just have a few bevvies and can't be bothered going to the game). One thing I would suggest though is if you do end up going in the home end, play it sensibly. It won't be a Donetsk/Dnipropetrovsk atmosphere as Kiev is a bit "cleaner" than the East but considering there might be a lot riding on the game, keep it on an even keel and remember you are in a country where you cannot trust the authorities as much as you can in the UK, e.g. police, army, stewards. Unless you are particularly paranoid, definitely don't join EF just to apply for a ticket - you might not even be guaranteed one as if applications outnumber the allocation the Ukrainian FA give us it will go to a ballot anyway so you will have paid £75 for a lottery ticket in effect. Although as a third Kiev trip in 5 years and a midweek game (not to mention after Brazil in June), we might see a slight drop off in the number of applicants.

Anymore questions just ask mate.
  • Oh and P.S. Perhaps the most important bit of advice, Kiev has not been confirmed as the venue yet. Even though it might be the obvious choice having shelled out millions upgrading the national stadium last year, don't whatever you do book flights now without 24 hours either side of the game to factor in onward travel in the event it isn't played in Kiev. They pulled a fast one last time taking us over to Dnipropetrovsk for a late game in the group that they needed a result from in what they knew would be a really intimidating atmosphere. It is not unthinkable they will have a go again in Donetsk or Kharkiv.
  • OK cheers for all that, and i'll keep the venue in mind mate.

I should've said i've got a mate who is an england fans member and can't go. Is it easy for me to just use his membership to book a ticket or do the fa clock on about people passing around their fan numbers?
  • It depends. If the tickets are posted out before the game, you only then have to get his name on a hotel receipt or similar (which when you are staying in a hostel or small hotel is easy as pie) so he gets his proof of travel off (as if you don't sign in or put proof of travel in you get your caps reset to zero and/or get thrown out). However, recently they have made certain games "collection only" due to popularity/small allocations and being conscious that people are going to cheat the system. If it is collection only every member has to collect his/her own ticket over there with their passport/ID card and getting around that is not easy (although I have known people pass off as someone else with their photo but obviously you need to look pretty alike the member you are trying to be or have someone else that does!). The collection status is normally only announced when the tickets are put on sale and/or the venue details are confirmed so you won't know until late in the day.
  • Went to Dnipro for the qualifier in 09. Thought it was dodgy as fook. Our group got jumped the night before the game in Kiev where I got a broken rib. Dnipro felt heavy the whole time we were there - got legged to the ground on matchday and had a dodgy walk back after. That said it was a great trip. Cheap as chips, amazing women and met Some great Eng lads.

Returned in the summer for the France game in Donetsk. Felt like a different place (tournament syndrome) and had a great time.

Planning on going in Sept to spend some proper time in Kiev for once, assuming it's played there. Not a cheap place to get to btw.

ISLS offers good advice about it. Go for it but have your wits about you. I'll speak nearer the time 're, a beer out there if you go!!!
  • Dnepropetrovsk was something else, and people are worried about Millwall!

Kiev's a great city and the locals are very friendly, enjoy your trip.
  • I went to the Italy game. Wicked fun and even though we lost it was good natured throughout. Would love to do another England trip.
  • OK cheers fella's, i'll wait to its confirmed in Kiev before booking.
    Sounds like a great place to go to for a few days.