Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorian Dervite

2»

Comments

• Options

If we're cutting costs at the end of the year then expect Taylor to be let go and Dervite to sign up.

Thought this was a new thread until this one made the light come on over my head............
  • Options
    I thought we were doing fine with Wood in the team. Wood looked excellent & Morrison was playing with more confidence.

Dervite's ok, but he's not as good as Wood (has been playing) & he gave the ball away countless times on Saturday.

At one point he could have passed to anyone & he couldn't even keep it on the pitch.

I can't wait for Wood to be fully fit.
  • Options
    Had a mare on Saturday but a good player
  • Options
    Think he's a decent DM in this league and is a decent 3rd/4th choice CB if needed. I'd retain.
  • Options
    He has physical presence, something sadly lacking in the team as a whole.
  • Options
    Wood should be in end of.
  • Options
    Agree with Forzajuve. He s a quality player trying to play and get the ball out properly ( i chatted with him once he told me thats something he learnt playing in spain)... Pb is midfields dont propose him many choices so the long balls sometimes... I rate him above Morrison &Wod . I also dont understand those claiming for change.
  • Options

I'd like to give Wood & Dervite a go if one can pass with his right foot.

Dervite's right footed
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I'd like to give Wood & Dervite a go if one can pass with his right foot.

Dervite's right footed
    Classic, as usual.
  • Options
    Perhaps people will take him a bit more seriously now ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dervite has been immense the past few games
  • Options
    Should have been in the team ahead of Wood weeks ago IMO. His issue is consistency though, he seems to have purple patches then go off the boil. Would like to see him stay.

He must be chuffed with the goal as he had the opportunity to join Bournemouth in the summer and turned them down, due to a large extent to loyalty to Powell for giving him his chance despite his injury record.
  • Options
    I've always though he has been an under-rated player here. Decent centre back and has scored a few goals for us. Wouldn't be surprised if he signs a new contract
  • Options
    I personally think morrison is the weak link and it should be dervite and wood.Have thought it for a while now. *** waits to be shot down***
  • Options
    Think he has been very good since his return.
    cafc4life said:

I personally think morrison is the weak link and it should be dervite and wood.Have thought it for a while now. *** waits to be shot down***

Morro had a poor start to the season but has started to pick up as well, first half last night he made some very important interceptions/tackles that stopped them scoring.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    cafc4life said:

I don't think there is much between them. Its the combination of the two out of three that is sometimes difficult to determine. You can throw Cort in the equation as well.
  • Options

Dervite has been immense the past few games

Amen
  • Options
    Thought he played very well again last night and the goal was a very welcome bonus. Thankfully, with our obvious deficiencies up front, all four CB's, including a fit Cort, have shown they are plenty good enough for our current level. They've had understandable dips and been rotated accordingly, but all have done very well at times. CP shopped well there, clearly taking a leaf out of his mentor's book - although he should really have signed a few more to really emulate Curbs!). Build from the back...
  • Options
    Does anyone know the meaning of the tattoo on his right arm? I haven't mentioned it on here before but I know (I'm sure so do Siv, Stu and Seth) It's the Chinese word for 'SUCCESS' !!! Nice one Dorian.
  • Options
    Morrison and Dervite both benefit from have Poyet and Cousins in front of them.

Poyet in particular always offers an option for a pass so giving them a simple out ball. Cousins does a lot of defensive work so stops them being exposed too much by runners from midfield. A fit and on form Wiggins (and Wilson) also helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Morrison and Dervite both benefit from have Poyet and Cousins in front of them.

Poyet in particular always offers an option for a pass so giving them a simple out ball. Cousins does a lot of defensive work so stops them being exposed too much by runners from midfield. A fit and on form Wiggins (and Wilson) also helps.

Agree with this. Dervitte looked decent against Huddersfield too. Something is definitely suiting him. I think Morro has been decent after a dodgy start and would be pleased if him, Dervitte and HAmer were signed up quickly.
  • Options
    Wood has been the better defender for parts of the season imho. It comes down to form, as it should do in any decent squad with competition for places..... and I agree that having Cousins and Poyet in front offers good protection.
  • Options
    I think Wood is a more dependable defender but Dorian is better with the ball at his feet, pops up with the odd goal and has some immense games. I remember when he had a run of games at the end of last season and was superb. Especially against Wolves where he was my MOTM long before he scored. Glad to see him back in the starting 11
  • Options
    our defence is one of the best in the league, dervite included. not many teams can say they have as good a defence as ours. solly, wiggins, morrison, wood, dervite. not to mention fox, lennon, gomez also coming through. if only we had a better striker than church
  • Options
    we're spoilt for choice in central defence .. Riga seems to prefer Dervite to Wood .. that's OK with me .. I have not seen either have a bad game this season .. Wood is the more rugged defender, Dervite the better footballer/passer (and yes I know Dervite sometimes makes a bad pass)
  • Options

Thought he was excellent v Millwall at CB

Has been a bit inconsistent but then again he's not been a regular, has played odd games in different formations or come off the bench.

More to come from him perhaps.

agree
  • Options
    Both Morrison and Dervite have had some very poor games this season, but Morrison has got better and played well this year, and Dervite has been outstanding the last few games, wouldn't think he'd be dropped on current form.
  • Options

Thought he played well against Ipswich and I really don't think he gets as much credit as he deserves.

Don't understand all the calls for 'Wood to come back' just because he is a standard no nonsense centre half, Dervite is a very cultured centreback and IMO is our best ball-playing CB. Might be going against the grain here but I thought that the majority of his distribution was good against Ipswich and the few times it wasn't at least he was trying to play intelligent balls rather than hoof it like Morrison. I think he has been our best CB this season and when he was dropped for Wood a few months back I was gutted for him because I think Morrison has been a bit below par this season and he should be the one to be dropped first.

He's probably become one of my favourite players mainly because he doesn't seem as appreciated for the good qualities that he has by what seems like the majority of our fans.

This
  • Options
    Wood vs Dervite is not simply a question of their relative quality, but also their approach and what skills they bring to the team - Wood is more physical and confrontational, but his laudable safety first approach means the ball is generally aimless when he clears it. Dervite on the other hand is more likely to try and intercept a pass or prevent the striker getting the ball rather than try to relieve him of it - but on the ball he will be proactive and try to start a genuine attack from a defensive position.

Of course that summary is pretty generalised and probably a bit unfair to both but I have written enough essays on here in recent times! To me, both have merits and weaknesses, I prefer Dervite myself but seeing Woody on the team sheet gives me no dismay either. I think what edges it in Dervite's favour (perhaps moreso under Riga but early days yet) is that his style compliments Morrison's (who won't be dropped any time soon it seems.) Wood and Morro give you two physical, combative but relatively old-school and basic (for lack of a better term, it's not meant insultingly) centrebacks. With Dervite you have one brawler and one 'stylish' (I'm struggling for the right word again.) which probably works out better in the long run.