Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why we are better away

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fine. Hopefully Powell will hit Burnley with

Hamer/Button

Morrison - Cort - Dervite

Solly - Pritchard - Jackson - Wiggins

Obika - Fuller - Haynes

...and we'll all say "I was there"
  • Options
    It is worrying because as someone said on another thread is this time that people start thinking about renewing season tickets , and watching crap week in week out at the valley will persuade them not to renew there ticket.
  • Options
    You'll always get the odd idiot who boo's individual players, but overall I think we have very fair and tolerant supporters. But it's not cheap going to a game these days and it's not unreasonable to expect to at least see the opposing keeper be forced into making a few saves. Traditionally we have always been a team that's been tough to beat at the Valley mainly because we have (in the past) played attacking football with wingers who enjoy plenty of space on the wide Valley pitch. Even going back to the 70's we conceded plenty of goals but rarely lost more than 5 games at the Valley during the season, because we always scored lot's of goals. These days we struggle to score at all and rarely score more than two.
  • Options
    Could someone explain how Millwall won on Saturday when they had about 50 supporters there?

God forbid any of our little soliders actually move to a club that gets 40, 50k a game and get some real abuse, they'll be crying into their blankets for weeks!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Plaaayer said:

Could someone explain how Millwall won on Saturday when they had about 50

Cos Boro only had about 45 fans there by the look of it.
  • Options
    dabos said:

It's probably none of these reasons. It could be that we've been a bit unlucky to play sides when they've had their strongest side available, or have happened to play sides when they're on good form compared to their average performance over the season.

Whilst I am also fed up with people jeering our own players, I think it's highly unlikely that that is the main reason for our poor home form.

You can't possibly mean that our individual players and the team as a whole are not as good as other players and teams in this division ?
  • Options
    I cant believe its now the fans responsibility to win games in the Championship.

Any chance the club will give me a wage? perhaps pay for a ST for me?
  • Options
    It's not the fans responsibility to win games Gary, but I'm amazed how some people just brush off the idea that players get affected by a negative crowd at home.

People can label them as 'soft' all they want, doesn't change anything. Ben Hamer, Danny Green, Paul Benson and I'm sure a number of others have all said publicly that they feel the pressure at home. Responses along the lines of "they should get on with it" don't help change the situation whatsoever. If certain supporters want to be so stubborn, then fine, but they'll be the ones with the hump at the end of the day.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    But Tom, its hardly a cauldron of hate at The Valley, its quiet at times and a few grumbles can be heard, but CAFC fans have been very patient with the club and players in general.

Away games are a different kettle of fish because its mostly made up of younger males trying to make a noise because they are outnumbered by the home crowd. I dont think it effects the players, our away performances are generally better because the team is set up to absorb pressure and counter attack and it seems to work, not because 600 fans are making a bit of noise.

People keep using Cardiff as an example of how the home fans can be, but thats because the players and CP seemed to change mentality and actually have a go. This then rubbed off on the fans and their was a reaction. Players played with confidence and fans could see it.
    We've been dire at home of the last few seasons and supporters now turn up knowing that we are gonna sit back, the atmosphere will be flat and 3 points are unlikely.

Ulitmately, its down to the Players to perform at home and get the fans belief back.
  • Options
    queensland_addickMember
    You'll always get the odd idiot who boo's individual players, but overall I think we have very fair and tolerant supporters. But it's not cheap going to a game these days and it's not unreasonable to expect to at least see the opposing keeper be forced into making a few saves. Traditionally we have always been a team that's been tough to beat at the Valley mainly because we have (in the past) played attacking football with wingers who enjoy plenty of space on the wide Valley pitch. Even going back to the 70's we conceded plenty of goals but rarely lost more than 5 games at the Valley during the season, because we always scored lot's of goals. These days we struggle to score at all and rarely score more than two.

You are so right, I have spent this week remembering the days when we had Killer in the middle up front, with Flanagan and Glover working the wings furiously. I bet that Hales looks at the way the team is set up these days, and is glad that he wasn't expected to wait with two big Centre Backs for Hamer to punt a long high ball towards him. I refuse to accept that last Saturdays team and tactics were correct if we wanted to pick up points. One thing is certain, you won't find me watching that crap in L1 next season, I will be watching my Grandson in the Ryman League where Coaches still understand the meaning of the word attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa - Len Glover left us in about 1968, well before Hales & Flanagan ever arrived on the scene. I suspect your memory is not quite what it was. : )
  • Options
    Cardiff was different because a) we were shit and then scored two goals right on half time from nowhere and b) CP was staring down the barrel with the trigger half cocked and the fans got behind him after half time otherwise he was toast.

as said players get away lightly at The Valley and in the words of NLA if it affects them adversely then they need to grow some - and quickly
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Why are we better away? The players we have in our squad at the moment are better suited to a 4-5-1 system, which is more effective away from home using a counter attacking style of play. It is what it is.
    I doubt if it will change before the end of the season, unless we sign an experienced championship-level central midfielder, who will allow the manager to switch to a more attacking 4-4-2 at home. There aren't many about, available & in our wages bracket.

probably the most sensible post on this thread

• Options

Granpa - Len Glover left us in about 1968, well before Hales & Flanagan ever arrived on the scene. I suspect your memory is not quite what it was. : )

I think Granpa meant to say Colin Powell.
  • Options

But Tom, its hardly a cauldron of hate at The Valley, its quiet at times and a few grumbles can be heard, but CAFC fans have been very patient with the club and players in general.

Away games are a different kettle of fish because its mostly made up of younger males trying to make a noise because they are outnumbered by the home crowd. I dont think it effects the players, our away performances are generally better because the team is set up to absorb pressure and counter attack and it seems to work, not because 600 fans are making a bit of noise.

People keep using Cardiff as an example of how the home fans can be, but thats because the players and CP seemed to change mentality and actually have a go. This then rubbed off on the fans and their was a reaction. Players played with confidence and fans could see it.
    We've been dire at home of the last few seasons and supporters now turn up knowing that we are gonna sit back, the atmosphere will be flat and 3 points are unlikely.

Ulitmately, its down to the Players to perform at home and get the fans belief back.

It's not a cauldron of hate, you're right. However, the fact that three or four of the players have come out and said it publicly tells me that it is more noticeable than we may realize.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I'm been to plenty of games where the atmosphere has been decent and we've lost.

Who can we blame that day?

Totally agree.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I wonder how many points we would have gained had we gone all out attack from the start of the season - a lot more is my guess. But is it feasible to play one way at home and completely differently away. Personally, I can't see why not, although it is very unusual to see it. Maybe football is a bit too conservative and not open to something as radical!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

It's not a cauldron of hate, you're right. However, the fact that three or four of the players have come out and said it publicly tells me that it is more noticeable than we may realize.
    Tom, I've noticed that you are very keen on beating the drum for the modern day footballer, figuratively speaking. That's fine and makes for an interesting discussion but if you seriously think 3 or 4 players over the last few years being mildly critical of the home support is conclusive evidence to support your view you need to visit a few more clubs and sit in with the home fans.

It would be great to have a fantastic positive atmosphere all the time but the reality is that our fans are in fact WAY more patient and realistic than most. I really don't think it makes as much difference as you think.

What other set of fans would have given so much support for so long to the young Kevin Lisbie for instance???
  • Options
    On the other side of the scale- if you give us very little to shout and cheer about we will - out of desperation - so it could play in our favour.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Tom, I've noticed that you are very keen on beating the drum for the modern day footballer, figuratively speaking. That's fine and makes for an interesting discussion but if you seriously think 3 or 4 players over the last few years being mildly critical of the home support is conclusive evidence to support your view you need to visit a few more clubs and sit in with the home fans.

It would be great to have a fantastic positive atmosphere all the time but the reality is that our fans are in fact WAY more patient and realistic than most. I really don't think it makes as much difference as you think.

What other set of fans would have given so much support for so long to the young Kevin Lisbie for instance???

this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

I think that is more to do with the lowly nature of where those players had been previously.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I'm been to plenty of games where the atmosphere has been decent and we've lost.

Who can we blame that day?

Do we have to blame anyone?