Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accountancy Qualifications

edited February 2013 in Not Sports Related
Hi,

I currently work as a Local Government Officer (Housing/Benefits for my sins) but with the world of local government and especially welfare benefits changing and becoming increasingly volatile, I'm likely to get made redundant in the next 12 months or so.

I'm thinking of planning for this in advance by doing some extra qualifications at college in the evenings. A mate of mine is doing the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Level 2 Certificate.

Given that I work in a financial climate that has links to accountancy I'm thinking of taking the plunge and doing this course.

Does anyone else know anything about this course? I'm really interested in whether it's actually work doing and whether it is respected by employers.

Any guidance of thoughts would be really useful!

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    I can't advise you re the Public sector I'm afraid.

In the Private sector it's like any qualification.

If you have it it means nowt if you don't have it it's regarded as the most important thing since sliced bread!

A full AAT qualification indicates a certain theoretical level of ability so is marketable at a junior level but, in my experience anyway, employers tend to be more impressed by people studying towards a full professional qualification particularly if they can get away without incurring any training costs!

• Options
    What Lenny said ... If you're not a graduate it's a good first step towards a full accountancy qualification (ACCA or CIMA) and will give you a fair understanding of what it means to be an accountant.
  • Options
    AAT is great if you havent got a degree.
    If you've got a degree, jump straight to CIMA or ACCA :)
  • Options
    It very much depends what your medium to long term plans are. As others are saying, it is very much an entry-level/junior qualification. If you are looking for an entry-level job in accounts, then obviously it will put you above other applicants that don't have the qualification. However, many employers will be willing to offer a relevant qualification alongside work experience.

If you are looking for something a little more advanced then you need to be thinking about a professional qualification really - but this would definitely have to be done as part of a work placement.

Why not do an internet search for the sort of jobs you're looking for and see what qualifications they require?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info/guidance.

I am a gradutate but I did a BSc degree in Geography so not really related to the field that I work in at the moment. I probably should have had an idea about what sort of work I wanted to do before going to Uni, but how do you know when you chose A Levels at 16!!!

TBH going into a junior position would probably be a bit annoying, but compared to being redundant it would seem like a godsend. Basically, the government's welfare reforms mean that all of the specific knowledge and professional courses that I have done over the past 10 years will probably become obsolete. At least in a junior position I'd be able to afford a pint a Charlton every other game!!!

• Options
    fattmatt said:

Thanks for the info/guidance.

I am a gradutate but I did a BSc degree in Geography so not really related to the field that I work in at the moment. I probably should have had an idea about what sort of work I wanted to do before going to Uni, but how do you know when you chose A Levels at 16!!!

TBH going into a junior position would probably be a bit annoying, but compared to being redundant it would seem like a godsend. Basically, the government's welfare reforms mean that all of the specific knowledge and professional courses that I have done over the past 10 years will probably become obsolete. At least in a junior position I'd be able to afford a pint a Charlton every other game!!!

I am a qualified accountant with a Chemical Engineering degree, which just goes to prove that your degree discipline doesn't matter - it's the fact that you have one that counts.

If you are interested in a career in accountancy I would recommend having a look around at what's available, and maybe look for a scheme that will allow you to train on the job as ACA or ACCA. Most of the big firms are still recruiting, although some graduate schemes will only accept recent graduates unfortunately. Good luck!
  • Options
    Don't worry about relevance go CIMA or work for an accounting firm (lower entry but with study leave) and do ACA.
  • Options
    Not sure AAT worth it, get accepted qualification and experience either temping or contract if you lose your job. Always jobs for accountants. Good luck it is worth it.
  • Options
    Just qualified ACCA as of a few weeks ago. 3 1/2 yrs of a hell of a lot of work but worth it
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Just qualified ACCA as of a few weeks ago. 3 1/2 yrs of a hell of a lot of work but worth it

And we have a volunteer as treasurer for the trust...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also work in local government.

Did AAT a few years back. Would recommend it as a starting point if you have no experience or knowledge in the field. Took 3 years then though which is far too long in my opinion.

I'm now studying ACCA with 4 exams to go. Its hard going esp when you're not naturally gifted at maths as in my case.

It's not cheap either (£500-600 per course and £80-100 per exam, plus subs etc) so helps if your employer funds it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Does the AAT qualification gain you any more exemptions from the exams for a professional qualification these days than a non-relevant degree which fatmatt has?

If it does then it might be worth considering doing it both as a foot on the ladder to a professional qualification and a consolation qualification if for any reason you cannot complete your professional exams.

As The Organiser says it's expensive to fund yourself and sometimes other things get in the way.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm used to recruit accountants and 10 years ago AAT was very useful at school leaver level.

May be worth a bit of AAT to check you are really interested in the industry before embarking on a career in accountancy. I imagine you get some exemptions if you transfer.

Experience is what you need though unfortunately.

Things may have changed since I last had to think about it.

• Options
    I edited my post thinking you weren't a graduate but I see that you are.

Time to decide what you want to do fella'. You'll need to convince any potential employer of your intent so need to be clear yourself.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Congrats Addicted, finished mine in august. Hated every minute but best thing ive ever done.

Would advise it fatt matt if you are prepared to put the work in it will be worth it. If you are considering AAT maybe look at ACCA as will maybe give more variety jobwise and gives you a good understanding of finance etc.

If you can get sponsored by a company to do it i would recomend it. Good luck
  • Options

I also work in local government.

Did AAT a few years back. Would recommend it as a starting point if you have no experience or knowledge in the field. Took 3 years then though which is far too long in my opinion.

I'm now studying ACCA with 4 exams to go. Its hard going esp when you're not naturally gifted at maths as in my case.

It's not cheap either (£500-600 per course and £80-100 per exam, plus subs etc) so helps if your employer funds it.

Good luck.

Good luck Organiser....i failed GCSE maths (kid in front of me nicked my calculator in the exam) and I hate maths and really struggled compared to some people but it's worth the slog when you get them all done.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I was an accountant from 1980 until 1986, but I wasn't that good. Worst 8 years of my life.

:-)

• Options
    I did AAT now doing ACCA progressing well wouldnt recommend AAT go straight to ACCA or CIMA.
  • Options
    certainly worth taking as it opens up jobs and can help understand theory - depends on your background whether you can jump straight to CIMA/ACCA ... many on here talk about finishing CIMA/ACCA as well as AAT but getting half way and becoming a part qual accountant can mean a serious step up in pay and work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My impression of AAT is that it suits people who come into an office to do a clerical job, e.g. purchase or sales ledger, but want a bit more knowledge of the wider departmental role, and a bit of paper to put on the cv.

I believe AAT gives you exemptions for CIMA and ACCA, it's well worth pursuing the main accountancy qualifications if you want any sort of career in this field. It needs to go hand in hand with a relevant job though.
  • Options
    When I was training as an ACA in practice, there was another employee doing her AAT, and when we compared notes on the course material, I found the AAT was done to a pretty good standard and was in several areas comparable with my PE2 stuff.

On the back of that, now in commerce, I have encouraged unqualified members of my teams to study AAT as a decent grounding in accounting. While I rate it as a qualification in its own right, I do think it is undervalued by the market generally, and as an employer you dont seem to have to pay much of a premium for AAT qualifieds. That said, it does give you exemptions from CIMA/ACCA if you want to take your studying further, though you'd have to check to what extent as I havent been that involved with it recently. It's a big commitment in time and effort, but if it suits you I wish you good luck with it.

Although, if I had my time again, I'd run away to sea.

• Options
    AAT qualification give you exemptions from the fundamental stage of ACCA, which is the first three exams - there are 14 exams in total.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Regarding exemptions, make sure you check these out properly. I would VERY surprised if you got anything at all for a Level 2 certificate as you stated in the OP. Any exemptions will have required you to have done modules from levels 3 and 4.

Basically, thinking about this a bit more, if you are committed to become a fully qualified accountant (i.e. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.), I don't really see any advantage to doing AAT first. As a graduate you should be able to get direct entry onto a 3 year scheme and, from experience, I don't think having an AAT already would give you much of an advantage in the application process.

If, however, you don't want to make that commitment, or you're not sure, then AAT might be a good way to find out if accountancy is for you. Just expect it to take a little longer if you do decide to go the whole hog later on. As an example, in my old firm we took graduates straight onto a 3 year ACA course, whilst school leavers went onto a 2 year AAT followed by 2 year ACA conversion, so basically it took an extra year.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. Really useful info/advice.

I thought that the thread title would put people off reading further. I have been pleasantly surprised!
  • Options
    Matt, I look after law firms and came across a similar question on a site operated by a friend of mine. You'll see that the last couple of comments to the question are quite complimentary to the AAT qualification and certainly open up possibilities for you, career and life-wise

http://www.legalsupportnetwork.co.uk/general/ask-the-experts/advice-accountancy-courses-anyone

All the best, Tel
  • Options
    bloody lot of accountants on this site !
  • Options
    And wannabee accountants.

I wonder why Millwall call us 'trainspotters'.
  • Options
    Fattmatt - are you sure about being made redundant in the next 12 months or so? It would seem you have more time than that. Housing benefit is going to take a good several years to be replaced by Universal Credit. The council tax replacement scheme this year will generate a lot of work and the recently published Local Support Services Framework document should ensure local government involvement in its delivery of Universal Credit. What I’m saying is that although its sensible to plan for your future, is it possible for you to wangle your way through the council development schemes to support your training needs to progress your career in local government i.e. into accountancy?
  • Options
    Yes Solidgone. It's the Universal Credit system that is worrying long term. But in addition my Local Authority are centralising their customer contact services across all departments within the next year. This is a big issue as my team concentrate on customer contact work. There is a good chance that they'll try to get me (and my teammates) to reapply for a lower scale/lower paid job. I would never do that out of principle.