Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Or Curbishley

2»

Comments

• Options
    Curbs
  • Options
    I have nowt but love for curbs and will hear no bad said what that man done i doubt any of us will see again because it was done in a time when it was l about football and not money

Then he had to change and manage footballers on money and compete with a market place where we never shopped before

Legends he is one of them fact
  • Options
    Curbs had better and more consistant players to work with. Style wise i think they are exactly the same which worries me when it comes to changing tactics during a game. If Powell had a team of more constistant players i think we would see a much better performance out there week in week out even if they don't win at least we could say they all tried. Each player we have is good at what they do, the problem is they don't do it all the time and not during the same games.

I want Powell to succeed soooo much for this club. But for me its Curbs out of the two at the moment. Hoping come the end of next season it would be "No question, Powell for me".
  • Options
    Depends really what you're basing the argument on. If we're talking legendary status, then they're pretty much neck and neck (maybe with Powell scraping it).

If we're talking managerial ability then I'd say that it is way too early to say. I'd rather have Powell at this moment in time though.
  • Options
    Powell my favourite but I'd trust Curbs more to make the right decisions at the right time.

I hope that in 10 years I'll be feeling different about this. Lets hope that Powell gets the time to fulfill his potential.
  • Options
    If you look at how Powell has done 2 years into his management career compared to how Curbs was doing 2 years into his management career, I think Powell is exceeding him.

Today's game is a totally different one to when Curbs took over though, so would not be suprised IF we finish mid table and have a good season next year a Premier League club or financially sound Championship club will come sniffing.

Although slightly off topic I do worry that the media interest in the lack of black managers in the Football League and Premiership will fast track Chris to higher jobs. There is no denying that it is a subject that it often brought up whenever Charlton are featured on Sky / TV etc. Saying that, I wonder how much the bookies would give for Powell to be first black England manager?
  • Options
    Powell
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but my recollection is that at the same stage of their careers Curbs was tactically ahead of Powell, he of course had Gritty with him. Powell has the advantage of a promotion, but then Curbs started off with no money (or Ground) in the second tier. Their use of meagre funds to bring in players I would also think Curbs is ahead with Nelson, Bumstead, but of course the memory forgets the rubbish which could be equated to Kerkar and Cooke. As time went on of course Curbs had his M.Bents and Gary Pooles, but these were not his fledgling years.

So like for like I would still say Curbs
  • Options
    No comparison for me,I grew up with Curbs in charge and have some fantastic memories of that time. Chris Powell is a legend,but at the moment there can be no comparing the two as managers in my opinion. Hopefully in a few years we can reopen this thread with tales of various premiership successes under both!
  • Options
    Curbs, we actually won a home game with him in charge....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As somebody else has already said CP has not even got close to Lennie yet, let alone Curbs. Give him time though & let's see how he goes.
  • Options
    Agree, what Lennie did at sellout,play off final etc is light years away from anything CP has done, let alone Curbs? I would have Curbs back in a flash, to compare is a joke. Yes Cp is a nice bloke and was a good player for us, but has he achieved more as a player than Peter Shirtlif did. Cp means no more to me than Kins, Robbo, Clive, Brownie, Johny H, Morts etc? To co
  • Options
    To compare at this stage is an insult to Curbs, don't get all the sticky man love for Cp, sorry
  • Options
    Sickly,sorry dam IPAD
  • Options

To compare at this stage is an insult to Curbs, don't get all the sticky man love for Cp, sorry

Was you saying this last season?
  • Options
    Yes, good effort,but perspective required
    cafctom said:

• Options

Yes, good effort,but perspective required

cafctom said:

I'm with you here
  • Options

Curbishley is in that very select group who have secured two promotions

let's hope CP can join that group without throwing a relegation in between the 2
  • Options
    somehow I can't see CP getting a second shot if we went down!
    In fact I don't think it would ever get that far as some loans will be drafted in - when is the deadline?
    As many are saying, it is early days for CP and he is there with Bailey and Nelson in my books

Incidentally does anyone know how much financial clout Jimmy Seed was given at the start to get from 3rd division (south) to 2nd in division 1 in three seasons? All I know is that he wasn't backed after the war in terms of developing the ground and signing top players... my point is that CP may have the potential to do the same IF the money is found to improve the squad
  • Options
    Curbs all day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also I liked the style of football that we played under Curbs. I remember Newton and Robinson bombing down the wings in waves with Leaburn in the middle. Remeber the 3-3 league cup game at home against Wimbledon???
  • Options
    Agree with Brentwoodmark
  • Options
    I really like CP he is engaging and CAFC through and through. However for me it's Curb's although dare I say he had better players. But right now I would put CP behind Lennie Lawrence as well what that man did for the club was nothing short of miraculous at the lowest time.

Hope CP carries on and emulates these two it can only be great for the club.
  • Options
    Curbishley was the reason I gave up my Season Ticket. The football under him at the end of his time was dire. Only playing one up front for home games. Every time another club was mentioned as wanting him he would say no approach has been made. Never did he say he was happy at Charlton.

Chris Powell is still learning. He only plays one up front at home sometimes - hopefully he will learn. It's not what the supporters want and puts our defence under extra pressure because the ball is never out of our half for long. And he is Charlton through and through.

No contest, Powelly for me.
  • Options
    Curbs. Doubt Powell will even be in charge in two years time.
  • Options
    From my time, 1 would be Curbs, 2 would be Lennie, 3 would be Powell, 4 Nelson and 5 Firmani....none would compare with Jimmy Seed though.
  • Options
    An Alan Curbishley stand.... What are the chances?